Regarding the "More Traditional Beams" idea...My Dream Beams...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A lot of people seem to think that the "wave damage" method is superior to the "nuke damage" method when it comes to beams. For those who don't understand, let me explain the two:

• "Nuke" Beaming
    • This is the game's current beam system. Your beam head acts like a high explosive, detonating on impact and causing big damage within it's blast radius.
  • "Wave" Beaming
    • This is a system that has been often suggested, and is being discussed in another thread right now. This system in theory uses bigger beams that, when hitting an enemy, do NOT explode, but rather engulfs the enemy, doing heavy damage over time while the enemy is caught inside the beam's area.
There are several different things being talked about regarding how wave damage would be best implemented. Some people say a struggle bar should come up for you to try and escape; some say that you should be able to detonate the beam head during the whole thing, etc. There are innumerable suggestions regarding wave damage, but there is one thing that seems to be largely ignored: why have one over the other, when we could have BOTH?

Think about it. Almost every attack has the potential for it! It could be a right click function, something even more simplistic like holding down boost as you charge the attack.

Say you're Vegeta. You select Final Flash. You hold right click instead of left; a slightly different charge animation begins. It takes much longer, maybe even close to 2x the time. When this occurs, the camera would zoom in to an MGS-style over the shoulder view so you could more precisely aim (which would of course be optional on the client side of things...or maybe it could even be a zoom key).

You need to get halfway charged before the attack will successfully fire. Once you breach that point, you can fire the beam, which is a larger and much more ki-intensive blast.

Graphically, making the beam look right won't be a problem; a sprite that is a ball of energy could appear around the character, making the huge beam tail look like the two are attached, so that it doesn't look stupid having suge a huge beam coming out of the character's hands. That way other players could tell which kind of beam the enemies were firing.

The beam must also have it's control decreased by the same ratio as the damage and ki cost is increased; these intense beams should be difficult to control because of the amount of power sunk into them. They should, however, be slighly faster than the normal versions.

When firing these beams, the player should get mouselook for the head of the beam and the camera should focus on the beam instead of the player (simple enough to do, just attach the camera to the beam head). This way the wave beams aren't pointless due to the difficulty in accuracy (how often is there a direct hit in this game with a Final Flash on an aware player anyway?). While the camera is on the firing beam, the player will be generating a wind effect (ideally, anyway) that will repel other players' melee attacks. Beams will still work but they will have to be powerful ones. If the beams are not at least a certain percentage of the fired wave's power, they get absorbed (I dunno, maybe for PL or increased damage in that beam or something?).

If the beam you are "wave firing" is a weak one (such as a generic), then it will have a simple effect where it hits the enemy, and the target is stuck on the head. It would do prepunch-style minor damage over time until hitting a wall, whereby it would explode, giving half the normal beam damage but dealing an additional loss of health equal to a full-power throw. During these situations players will be able to resist and, if successful, a wall-jump style escape will occur in the direction of their choosing, avoiding the damage from hitting the wall. If the beam is blocked it is blocked as if it were a normal version beam.

In the example given initially, though, I stated the beam in question would be a Final Flash. Now...what happens on the targeted players end, is simple.

(Remember, this is all wishful thinking)

The player sees this massive beam heading towards him. When it hits him, let's assume he's a schmuck and doesn't block in time. The beamhead will go THROUGH the player, and this will trigger a camera angle change to a side view of the character. It will look this way for both players, attacker and target; the target's camera will swing to his left (so the screen shows the beam on the left, and him on the right), and the attacker will be shown the inverse (target on the left, beam on the right). The entire screen of the player being hit, however, will become washed out with the light of the beam, similar to what you see fade in 1.2 when you die in an explosion (think Goku vs. Vegeta power struggle in Saiyan Saga).

The player being hit slowly is being pushed backward, maybe something like 1.2x the speed of a normal block struggle's movement. He is playing an animation that maybe shows him putting up one hand, trying feebly to resist the damage.

At the bottom, the struggle meter would come up on impact, and it would behave much like a throw struggle or block struggle; you would be fighting for the power to escape. The more ki you use to try and escape, the slower your player is pushed backward and the rate at which you take damage reduces. Graphically, a sprite that shows the energy impacting the character would be implemented; since the angle is forced to a perpendicular shot, it won't look too bad.

The entire process of battling the beam would have a time limit. If the player being hit--who logically has more ki to burn, since firing would use so much--gets onto his half of the meter, he escapes. If the beamer gets to his half, the target is blown along the path of the beam at high speed, doing high damage on impact against the ground or wall. There is a time limit on the whole process (maybe ten seconds? fifteen, even?) and a damage cap (a high one, though, like 50% HP), so that this isn't a guaranteed-kill type of thing.

If the targeted player blocks, than it works a lot like the pre-punches. You will take damage but not nearly as much (1/4, maybe...maybe less?), and the enemy's beam will have a much shorter time limit for damage (1/3, maybe?).

You either escape or are vaporized, simple as that. If neither happens, then when the time limit cap is up, the beam ends. The attacked player gets blown back like after an adv. melee fight; the beamer goes into a brief but dangerous "weakened state" from exerting so much energy (meaning that a survivor has ample time to counter). The conditions of the weakened state could be anything; no swoop for 5 seconds, immobility, no ki, etc. (I think personally there should be different ones for every beam); I haven't given that part a lot of thought just yet.

I think that's all of it. Yeah right--in my dreams, huh? That's WAY TOO MUCH to implement...EVER...but wouldn't it be cool if it did get in there someday...?

(...sigh...)

Tell me what all of you guys think.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seems like the Wave beam would be some serious coding, but it's a good idea all around.

Best answers
I pretty much agree with what you're saying.

Ever played Marvel vs Capcom? Ryu's super-fireball is how I imagine a beam-wave should act. I think it should be more than a slight increase in speed - the enemy shouldn't get much time to react if he doesn't realise you're charging a beam-wave. What makes it fair is that the enemy has a chance to escape (potentially avoiding a lot of damage) and that the final explosion is less than that of a beam-nuke.

I don't think you should be able to deflect a wave. Beam-nukes seem to me to be ball attacks on energy strings. You stop the nuke head, you stop the attack. A wave is more like, well, a wave. Blocking should reduce the speed you move, and half the crushing damage, but you only "win" when your opponent runs out of ki or stops the wave. If you get the bar to the middle, it just means you don't move any further back.

So a beam-nuke is good for those times when you can count on the enemy not being able to get away from you in time. An example - your enemy is out of ki, and you've just pushed him through a cliff. He isn't going to be springing off the floor to wallop you if you charge a beam. That's when you nuke him with a minimum kame and end the fight.

For actual combat, a beam-wave might be a better choice. You have a better chance of a minimum charge generic-wave hitting than a minimum charge generic-nuke, as waves travel much, much faster. However, you might not inflict as much damage, since they may escape, or they may block it and escape most of the damage that way.

I didn't mean to ramble. o_o

Best answers
Well the team does have a few coders don't they maybe they could ask for help or something on the forums it sounds like an awesome idea.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh, I neglected...to make this more reasonable, it would only be an ability gained by reaching your transformed state. There. Now I'm done. lol

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Wow. This idea is in-depth, and none the less impressive. Nice thinking there SaiyanPrideXIX. The perspective change would require heavy coding, and a way to prevent camera angle views being messed up. The actual struggle, and beam ideas are excellent (IMO).

Great Idea
:yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: (5/5)

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sigh... We need more people like Pride. Atleast he takes the effort to "explain" an idea. I love it, i simply love it. This will also make people use the beams more often again.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow...thanks for all the kind words, guys...keep 'em coming, I'd like to see this idea expanded on, or maybe have some of the team comment on it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I've said in all of the threads concerning Wave damage over explosion damage, I'm in favor of it. We have a great complex melee sytem now, wouldn't it be great to have a more complex beam system than we do currently? Sounds like a great idea and I hope it does make it into the game someday.

Best answers
As a small reminder, remember to try and keep this as DBZ-esque as possible. (You are! I just don't want things getting too far fetched)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think this is an awesome idea, and i hope the team considers it, because i must say it sounds fun :), very dbz like, and it wouldnt exactly be spamed, but the only problem i do see is the acuracy i dont know how easy it would be to hit sum1 with one of them but judging from 1.2 i'd guess it'd be pretty hard

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So what u mean is that there would be that awesome system that u just talked about and there would still be the ugly old one? I think it will be useless and noone will use it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom