Red Steel? Wii? Which is it man!?!

Best answers
Ravendust said:
It's the worst example of marketing i've ever seen. Anyone who buys into that is an idiot, and any Nintendo fans who use "It's just a name" just got contradicted by the very company they're defending.
I'm still buying it but I'm not gonna call it a Wii. I'm gonna ask my girlfriend if she wants to come over and play my Wii.

Best answers
It's the worst example of marketing i've ever seen. Anyone who buys into that is an idiot, and any Nintendo fans who use "It's just a name" just got contradicted by the very company they're defending.
But it's just a name....i still don't get why it's such a big deal, even though i do agree that Nintendo doesnt really listen to their fanbase, (me included)-- i don't know, i guess i just never saw it as a big deal because i always felt i had other options as well. It's not like Nintendo is the only choice here anyway.

Gaming may have been 'childish' when Nintendo ruled the roost years ago, but times have long since changed.
mhh...i don't understand exactly. Is that like saying that, everything has to head in a more mature direction at this point and time or something because the industry changed ?

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ravendust said:
While I realize that your jibe was centred at people who buy into the "mission" statement that Nintendo made, it might come off pretty badly to people like myself who, although not keen on the name, are still supportive of Nintendo.

I, for one, still have every intention of picking up Nintendo's next console. For one, it's going to fit my budget (something that is in jeoparday for Sony; if they want to keep my patronage, they had better learn to adapt to the fact that the average 20-year-old will be in some post-secondary institute, making a $500+ [Canadian dollars] purchase for the purpose of gaming absolutely ridiculous). That's incredibly important.

What's more, though, is that I couldn't be happier that they aren't following the same path as the other two consoles. Why? Quite frankly, I don't look forward to the next MGS title, no matter how realistic it looks. The series died for me after the original MGS. I don't want to buy an unrealistically expensive console for graphical updates and "new physics" for the games that have been dug up, dressed up a bit, and shoved back into my PS2 (Medal of Honor, anyone?). After being a gamer for 15 or 16 years, I simply would like to see a change. I applaud Nintendo for trying to offer the worn-out gamer, like me, a different way to play. That can't happen with the same two-analog stick setup that's going to be returning. While I don't care for the "Wii = we" motif, nor the statements made in the marketing ploy, I do look forward to something different being offerred.

Sorry, but if you're going to make statements about the people who still intend to buy Nintendo's next console, don't make blanket statements that label people like me as "idiotic", or "childish". Have you not stopped to consider that, just maybe, some people are supportive of this "Wii" for reasons that don't include Nintendo's marketing strategy, or their overly redundant use of a certain plumber? I am more than happy to arrange a private demonstration or two as to how idiotic it would be to label me as I've mentioned above.

Now. How about we drop the generalizations before I break the moulds, myself.

EDIT - And don't try to point out that I'm generalizing by saying that the other consoles will only re-dress and rehash Medal of Honor and MGS. I merely intended to show that I, personally, am not looking forward to what I've seen on the other two consoles, by and large. I made no statements about the people who enjoy those franchises, nor did I make any statements about those people, here, who are looking to get the other two consoles.

Best answers
I agree with Majin You. I like how the Revolution is going. A whole lot better than the PS3 and Xbox360. Also the Wii(revolution) will allow you to download games that were on the original nintendo(not sure about super nintendo) free of charge. Games such as Mario bros. 3 will be free so you won't have to buy $50 games to have fun on the console.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kasey said:
I agree with Majin You. I like how the Revolution is going. A whole lot better than the PS3 and Xbox360. Also the Wii(revolution) will allow you to download games that were on the original nintendo(not sure about super nintendo) free of charge. Games such as Mario bros. 3 will be free so you won't have to buy $50 games to have fun on the console.
They certainly will not be free of charge.

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
They certainly will not be free of charge.
You're right. My bad. I misunderstood the article in my NP. Well at least you won't have to go to the store to get them and you wont have to buy the original console that played the 8-bit games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Majin_You said:
While I realize that your jibe was centred at people who buy into the "mission" statement that Nintendo made, it might come off pretty badly to people like myself who, although not keen on the name, are still supportive of Nintendo.
It was directed soley at people who believe the 'mission statement' and the team of market researchers that spawned it, not the Nintendo fans themselves.

In fact all of my statements have been against the company and their attitude toward modern gamers. I have no issue with people wanting to play their games, they're not the group I daubed as idiots.

Majin_You said:
Sorry, but if you're going to make statements about the people who still intend to buy Nintendo's next console, don't make blanket statements that label people like me as "idiotic", or "childish". Have you not stopped to consider that, just maybe, some people are supportive of this "Wii" for reasons that don't include Nintendo's marketing strategy, or their overly redundant use of a certain plumber? I am more than happy to arrange a private demonstration or two as to how idiotic it would be to label me as I've mentioned above.
I'd like to know which statement of mine you're referring to, when I was replying to Engar's 'Gaming Is Childish' post. I was arguing that games, and thusly gamers, aren't childish.

Oh, I wasn't trying to single any of your statements out. The only reason I quoted your post was for the first part of mine. The rest of the body of my post was non-specific. ~Maj

Best answers
I think what Engar meant by saying that games are a toy and gaming is childish, is that they are similar: ways to escape from what is ordinary. A valid statement, if you ask me.

Nintendo has done some dumb stuff in the past, but honestly.... People ARE going to get over it. Eventually. People stopped whining persistently about the new and weird controller, as they will with this name... Eventually.

In my opinion, this is the point where everybody breaks off and goes sit in their own little corners (not in the punishment kind of way) and just simmer for a bit. We ARE going to survive this people! Nobody panic!! STOP PANICING!!!!!

I haven't even bothered to read Nintendo's... what is it? A mission statement? Ok, that's fairly lame, too, so....

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We shouldn't have to survive it... Nintendo should have had the courtesy to pick a name which 99.9 percent of the population doesn't hate.

Best answers
Well then it's a good thing that 99.9% of the population doesn't hate the Wii name.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wolf Devil said:
Well then it's a good thing that 99.9% of the population doesn't hate the Wii name.
What polls have you been reading?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
According the polls on most websites it is vastly more hated then liked. They were posted earlier in this thread, I think.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
According the polls on most websites it is vastly more hated then liked. They were posted earlier in this thread, I think.
Well...sure that's true. Ive seen most of them, but that's just for the initial reactions-- let's wait and see them rekindle those same polls 2 weeks from now. The difference will probably be overwhelming .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The difference is that people recoiled in horror to begin with. I can guarantee that in two weeks time people will still think it's a stupid name, unless Nintendo pulls out a flashy marketing gimmick that suddenly makes 'Wii' cool. The past attempt Kasey posted really doesn't cut it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it isn't like people check their watch and say "Ah it's been 2 weeks now...Wii is now officially a cool name for a console", And yes, most polls come up with Wii being a crappy name. And on a side note....I love you sig clen. :p

Best answers
Ravendust said:
The difference is that people recoiled in horror to begin with. I can guarantee that in two weeks time people will still think it's a stupid name, unless Nintendo pulls out a flashy marketing gimmick that suddenly makes 'Wii' cool. The past attempt Kasey posted really doesn't cut it.
Well...I really don't think a " flashy marketing gimmick " that makes the name seem cool, would have anything to do with the change of views-- whereas their actual E3 presentation (If it's truely extraordinary.) will most likely cause the name to sink in alot more then it originally would if it was announced afterwards. Which in return, will form a major acceptance-- despite the name actually being a bad one, most people would just probably be in denial by then. Which would ultimately lead to even more people (Especially Nintendo Fans.) throwing around the quote...

The name doesnt matter-- It's just a name, deal with it.
While it's possible that the polls might still be in favor of the name being bad, you wouldn't see nearly as many votes, as it was during the initial stages and that would only get better from there.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They could blow me away with a spectacular E3 presentation. That doesn't change the fact that the name is Wii. The name sucks, it'll still suck after E3, and it will still suck when they release the damn thing and millions of kids rush home to play with their Wii. No pun intended.

How does Wii provide any more sense of direction than Revolution did? I'm still dumb-founded. Is it because the controller is kind of phallic, is that why? Because the controller looks like a raging boner?

Some one please clue me in as to why Wii is exemplary of their direction more so than Revolution was. I read the mission statement, and I don't buy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom