really off-topic question

Best answers
i have been reading alot of the threads lately and found the word 'pwn' everywhere. is this just a typo? no, it cant be, it occurs way too often...its not in the dictionary either (according to dictionary.com), so i ask you, what does it mean?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It means like if you use it in a term of "I pwned you" means like I beat you or when someone says OWNED means HE WON or something like that when you say PWNED same thing as owned.....Simple? I might be wrong..

Best answers
thats what i thought, but wouldnt it be just as simple to just say 'owned'? the o and p buttons are right next to each other

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if you know what "leet" speak is, kinda think of it like this. Kind of an internet slang for own.

Best answers
leet?? now i feel really stupid :D oh well, im pretty big on proper english and it was just buggin me

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pwn.......its a word for the people who are to lazy to erase the "p" and type "o" but personally i use own alot, Pwn.......how lazy

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I read ( back when CS started getting popular, like, beta 3 ) that the word "pwn" was a really shortened form of the phrase "to own like a punk".

I'm not sure if that is correct. Like I said, I read that like 3 years ago. o_O

So, you can "own" somebody at something, but "pwning" them is much harsher. :)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Death Penalty said:
leet?? now i feel really stupid :D oh well, im pretty big on proper english and it was just buggin me
I'm sure you're really pretty big on proper English, and that it bugged you. However, if you need an explanation of "l33tsp34k," try google. There's an official language selection for it, "H4x0r."

Best answers
thanks, i think i'll try that...

EDIT: i looked that up on google, what i saw made me cringe in pain...who would butcher the english language like that? sheesh, i dont think there's a single word of english on that entire page... http://www.rdwarf.com/~kioh/ take a look for yourself

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom