Random Terrain

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I decided to do a random terrain a few days ago and just recently finished it. It's nothing special, just for practice. The polies are way too high, and I could probably get the same results by reducing the count by like.. half.. but that doesn't really matter to me at the moment as I'm just trying to get the shape down.

Also huge huge huuuuuuge thanks to my sensei Adam for teaching me how to create and UV things like this. <3<3<3<3<3

Oh, and I'd just like to mention that I won't be continuing this. I'll be creating something else.

Last edited:
Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
fu man, this is awesome, release it!

no but continue working on your 1337 mapping skillsex, a lot better than your prev work

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like it, but it needs some more rough/sharp edges. The terrain looks more like...a piece of cloth for some reason. It's far too 'organic' if you know what I mean.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks for teh comment guys <3<3 and yeah Sicron, I think I know what you mean. :)

Anyways, I decided to work on a map for NNK just for kicks & to improve my skills in mapping. The map is Tenchi Bridge (the place where Naruto & co. confronted Orochimaru in Shippuuden). (http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_xC9jBucf8GQ/Sm5r_uPd7mI/AAAAAAAAEYg/7BHDH3Y7Q6c/s200/grass-bridge2.jpg)

Here's what I have so far:

Still need to do a few things to the cliff and UV it. Also ignore the second cliff 'cause I haven't even touched it yet. :p

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
AHA! NOW I KNOWS HOW YOU MAKES IT!!!

but why uv map it while its still wip? I thought you uv map and texture models when the model is finished and so..

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well to make things easier I'd rather UV and texture the parts of the map when I'm basically finished with them... so when I'm pretty much done with one cliff I'll start UVing it and then texture it it.. rinse and repeat.

Anyways, first attempt at texturing, the UV is really really really sloppy and will be fixed later. I just wanted to get to texture attempts as soon as possible:

Also I believe the reason why the texture quality is really horrible is because I saved it as a 512x512 8-bit BMP texture... yeah..

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Updates for the night, started on the second cliff, still need to fix some **** and added four rows to the first cliff:

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
good progress keep it up :)

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nice, just dont make the grass terrain plain and smooth, move something up and down, add some stones and holes etc.

keep it up damdam

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Looking nice. Your sensei has taught you well.

Btw, just to comment on the new picture re-sizer: Love it!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nice, but one thing i will say is you could really do with studying geological formations in a bit more depth.

Your cliff faces don't seem to be naturally formed at all as cliffs rarely have a convex face as this would only occur if the natural stone strata at the centre has greater resistance to weathering or less natural faults, and even then strata do not follow such a linear path across the map.

More often cliffs are formed with a convex face simply due to the topsoil and vegetation providing greater shear resistance and less exposure to weathering topside. The most common cliffs have an angled face in either direction due to freeze-expansion rupturing a natural fault or topside being devoid of vegetation. Again freeze expansion knocks chunks off your average cliff face which will provide a largely uneven face

Basically, i think your cliffs would benefit from being concave and/or angled, rather than the convex "bulge". This should hopefully make the map seem less organic too boot when combined with a few more non-linear features such as bumps and other lovely bits to elude to freeze-expansion funtimes!

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks a lot guys ♥

Not much progress as of late, just started to level the terrain at the bottom of the cliffs:

Thanks Muff I think I see what you mean, I'll do my best to make it proper ^_^

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ILU EVIL*****

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
NO SUCK MY WEE WEE EC.

but srsly I'll show updates soon, haven't had the chance to work on the map lately ^_^

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Updatessssssss!

So I decided to re-do the whole cliff, this time working on both the inner and outer parts at the same time to make things easier for me. This time it should include your suggestion, too, Muff. The polycount is pretty high for something like this, so I'll see what I can do about reducing it after I'm done with the first cliff. As for the bridge and trees, I'll be doing those last. I want each tree to be different, so that'll definitely be time consuming. :)

Also, if any of you guys have any ideas on a border (for the inner map limit), please let me know as I'm completely out of ideas.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom