ram question

Best answers
Does anyone know the difference between unbuffered and registered ram?
I was looking at buying ram and it appears that unbuffered seems to be cheaper than registered and if registered ram is so much more expensive then it makes sense that it would offer better "stuff" than unbuffered. So whats the difference and what does registered offer that unbuffered doesn't (if it offers anything at all).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Registered RAM checks what it's storing and makes sure there's no corruption. Slight performance decrease compared to unregistered.

Best answers
Okay, well do you think that I should spend the more money for registered ram then, in your opinion? Because I plan on buying a gig of it and it's much less if i buy unbuffered or unregistered or whatever you want to call it. And I'm just 15, I dont have much money so I'm trying to spend as little money I can on my parts.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Your motherboard may not support registered memory.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Check your motherboard documentation, some Xeon, Opteron, Athlon XP 64 and all Itanium chipsets require registered ram. If it doesn't, registered RAM probably won't work in your Mobo at all.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Registered RAM is used mainly in servers.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i have some eec sd memeory sitting in mt p3500 box at home :) , my mobo i got from skool with a p2350 , but his memory , suprisinly enough that board supported it

to tell you the truth thou , i wouldn't waste my time with it these days , thou if ppl owe me an expensive favour or my bro (we do get that happen in some cases) then we decide what we want (my supplier is such a good m8 ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom