PS2 - Red Light

Best answers
Alright well I got one of the new small ps2's for christmas (needed a dvd player and my brother is takin the xbox to college...and you know...san andreas). So it seems that it doesn't have an off switch(or I can't find one) like the first one did, and what I always did with my friends ps2s is put it in stand by then flip the off switch. So...is it ok like this to keep it in standby mode (red light mode)? Should there be a switch? Just tryin to do whats safest for my playstation. Thanks for the help.

Best answers
there is no switch just the light to power it on and off =), i own that ps2 also i also own one of the better older models lol even got it modded for imports =)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its always good to have low power going though any type of electronic, keeps that "jolt" from happening and mess things up..

So yeah its fine, actually would be better like that i think.

Best answers
I always leave mine in standby mode. It's good for it to be on with lower power like a pc on all the time.

Best answers
I appreciate the responses guys. The whole low power thing is good to know.

So on that note, is it better to leave your computer on all the time? Or is it better to shut it off at night if you won't be on it for another 14 hours or so (thats what I do).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
standby mode, set it when you get off, or set it to a timer, not good to just leave it on, but standby mode is like a low power mode for playstation2

heres a good reason why you would want power at all time.

If you know a tv always has power going though it when pliuged in, doesnt need much power to use it in the first place, so keeping it plugged in is enough. Have you ever unplugged a tv for a long period(week or so) and when you turn it on you hear odd kinda crackling sounds than normal? thats from no power though it and sudden power going though it. few times doesnt hurt it but constantly can ruin the tv, goes with any electronic, just about.

a friend that knows about electronic told me this.

Best answers
Amitron said:
I appreciate the responses guys. The whole low power thing is good to know.

So on that note, is it better to leave your computer on all the time? Or is it better to shut it off at night if you won't be on it for another 14 hours or so (thats what I do).
It's better to leave it on all the time and reboot it at least once a week. Here's why:

Cutting the computer off and on wears down the parts, such as your hard drives. When cut off, your hard drives spin down and don't move, but when you cut it back on, there thrown into motion at such incredible speed (10,000RPM'S for mine) that doing that over a long period of time will ruin the drive and "kill" it. Same goes for the fans on the heatsink and in the case. Don't need one of them dieing, like the heatsink fan. If it dies, your processor would fry in a matter of seconds.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsunami said:
It's better to leave it on all the time and reboot it at least once a week. Here's why:

Cutting the computer off and on wears down the parts, such as your hard drives. When cut off, your hard drives spin down and don't move, but when you cut it back on, there thrown into motion at such incredible speed (10,000RPM'S for mine) that doing that over a long period of time will ruin the drive and "kill" it. Same goes for the fans on the heatsink and in the case. Don't need one of them dieing, like the heatsink fan. If it dies, your processor would fry in a matter of seconds.
Yea, over a long period of time meaing 10-15 years ;o. Also, if your CPU fan dies, your processor will switch off to save itself, as long as it's relatively new. Also, you do know that 10K rpms builds up a lot of heat, right? Heat = lowered life of components, so I guess you might call it a trade off, but I believe powering down when sleeping and powering on when awake is the best idea.

I also really doubt that it spins up to max speed the second you push it on, if it did, it would probably rip the disks right out of place in the hard drive.

Best answers
not to go way off topic.....but......

"Yea, over a long period of time meaing 10-15 years ;o."
A well-cooled AMD system, without overclock, is rated to last about 6 years. Overclocking decreases this average lifespan relatively.

"Also, if your CPU fan dies, your processor will switch off to save itself, as long as it's relatively new."
This feature is BIOS-dependent, it's not always automatic, either. In many cases, you have to go into the CMOS and set the warning/shutdown temp of the CPU manually. Even then, you need to be vigilant in the selection of the shutdown temp. I set mine at 60C. Since it doesn't hit 40C under a full load, if it ever reached 60C, something requires immediate attention.

"Also, you do know that 10K rpms builds up a lot of heat, right? Heat = lowered life of components"
Certain types of drives are prone to more heat. From SCSI to PATA to SATA, the heat difference can be very distinctive. SATA drives are notorious for running hotter than their now passe counterpart. A lot of heat? Not really. Only warm to the touch. Heat is never a problem when you're equipped with proper cooling.

"I believe powering down when sleeping and powering on when awake is the best idea."
This is, more or less, preference. The only system that should be running all the time is a server box of sorts. A workstation should be powered down at least once a week. I always shut it down when I leave for work, if I have nothing in the "queue", so to speak. Whether it's virus scanning, defragmentating, downloading, backing up, or whatever else I can put this rig through.

"I also really doubt that it spins up to max speed the second you push it on, if it did, it would probably rip the disks right out of place in the hard drive."
Here comes the clue train, last stop is you. Everything accelerates. If you were to break into a run from a walk, do you achieve maximum velocity instantaneously?

Best answers
Wow, now i'm confused...who's right?

To turn off while sleeping, or to leave on?

Best answers
Well of course I'm going to say I'm right. But Smith will say he's right. You decide. Read over the fact's given and you be the judge.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Tsunami said:
not to go way off topic.....but......

"Yea, over a long period of time meaing 10-15 years ;o."
A well-cooled AMD system, without overclock, is rated to last about 6 years. Overclocking decreases this average lifespan relatively.
That is rated, things usually always last longer than rated. At least that's always been the case for me.

"Also, if your CPU fan dies, your processor will switch off to save itself, as long as it's relatively new."
This feature is BIOS-dependent, it's not always automatic, either. In many cases, you have to go into the CMOS and set the warning/shutdown temp of the CPU manually. Even then, you need to be vigilant in the selection of the shutdown temp. I set mine at 60C. Since it doesn't hit 40C under a full load, if it ever reached 60C, something requires immediate attention.
I said in relatively newer processors, which have the automatic thermal protection built right in.

"Also, you do know that 10K rpms builds up a lot of heat, right? Heat = lowered life of components"
Certain types of drives are prone to more heat. From SCSI to PATA to SATA, the heat difference can be very distinctive. SATA drives are notorious for running hotter than their now passe counterpart. A lot of heat? Not really. Only warm to the touch. Heat is never a problem when you're equipped with proper cooling.
Even proper cooling can't protect you from 3-4 hard drives right on top of each other, which I know a lot of people have. The inner ones will be the hottest.

"I also really doubt that it spins up to max speed the second you push it on, if it did, it would probably rip the disks right out of place in the hard drive."
Here comes the clue train, last stop is you. Everything accelerates. If you were to break into a run from a walk, do you achieve maximum velocity instantaneously?
Well the way you had written it was that the moment you turned it on it would spin up to 10K RPMs; Push the button "OMG SPIN SPIN NOW GO GO D:"

When cut off, your hard drives spin down and don't move, but when you cut it back on, there thrown into motion at such incredible speed (10,000RPM'S for mine)
Also, yea. Do what you want; let your components run warm or hot with voltage running through them 24/7 (almost) or let it cool down every night and rest, so to speak.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On computer = Generating heat

Computer's don't like heat. Heat kills computers.

As much fun as it is to brag about large uptimes they aren't good for your PC. Be it's friend, turn it off.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
water cooling system = stops heat.

being a scientist, and using different things than water in your cooling system = my pc operates at 28 degrees centegrade. which is below room temperature and in fact, human body temperature.

this means i leave my pc on all the time leaving no electrical jolts but to be safe, i also have a surge protector.

heat may kill computer, but so too, do unexpected powersurges which DO happen to people on a regular basis, just by turning something on, or off.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Note to everyone. Powersurges happen to items whether they are on or off. Power surge is an increase in power through an electrical object.

They don't come from turning the object on or off either. They usually come from the powerlines outside your house.

"Hello I am a microwave cooking some tasting food" *Power surge* "OHNOES TEH POWER HAS FRIED MY BRAINS"

"Hello, I am a PC that is 100% off" *Power surge* "OHNES TEH POWER SURGE HAS FRIED MY MOTHERBOARDS"

Be your PC's friend. Stop heat turn it off. Only safe way to stop power surge is to unplug it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or to have a surge protector ;)

and to stop heat, like i said, get a decent cooling system. pay $10 for a fan, and of course it will (eventually) overheat.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Best cooling system evar was this nitrogen cooling system a guy had for his cpu he overclocked to 6ghz

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
how can you call that the best cooling system? he had to continually pour nitrogen onto the cpu, without a case for the computer, and running it outdoors, they managed to get the cpu to -96 degree's

this caused massive ammounts of condensation on not only the motherboard, but the surrounding environment (and we all know what water does to electricity kids!!;))

i wouldnt exactly call that household every day pc use, and therefor, is NOT the best cooling system.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It is the BEST cooling system, not the most efficient.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
if its not efficient, its not the best.

something that is the best would be defined as better in every wasy, than any other thing of its kind.

and since its probably the least efficient (and probably most damaging due to the whole water vs. electricity thing) id have to say its far from the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom