Power Supply Problem

Best answers
I have a problem with my power supply... it went pop ... and I was wondering what power supply I should get. My blown power supply is a 400w supply, but was wondering if a lower rating could get the job done. I have a:

- AMD 64 3200+
- 2 x 512Mb Corsair DDR PC3200 RAM
- Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro MoBo
- ATi Radeon 9800 Pro Platinum graphics card
- 1x 60GB and 1x 160GB Hard Drives
- 1x Floppy Drive
- 1x DVD ROM Drive
- 1x CDRW Drive
- 1x PCI Modem
- 2x External USB 2.0 Ports connected up

Thanks For any help.
madgik

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd reccomend one of these PSUs:
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Antec_Power_Supplies.html - Antec TruePower 2.0 550W PSU (CA-028-AN) ?64.95 or Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU (CA-030-AN) ?44.95

I'd go for the 550w one if you can afford it, since it will take the hassel out of your next big pc upgrade should you get a high end gfx card or use SLI/Crossfire in your system. If you just need a new psu and don't want to spend to much however, the 430w should do you just fine :).

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's probably not your specs, its probably just an old power supply whose time had come. Happenned to my folk's computer once. We got a new one and she's been running fine ever since.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Indeed, and I agree with Overlord on his selection of PSUs. Antec PSUs are very well built, and will sacrifice themselves to stop the PC from absorbing large voltage spikes. I cannot reccomend them enough. I've run a similar set up on 350 watts, but you'll want to stay at 400+ for it because of your multiple drives. It will garantuee issueless running. If you plan on upgrading in the future, it may be prudent to look for a 500 or 600 watt for SLI or for Crossfire in the future.

Best answers
Thank you for your help. I decided to get the Antec TruePower 2.0 430W PSU (CA-030-AN) @ ?44.95. I am not planning on getting an upgrade for my current pc anytime soon so the 430w would seem to be fine.

Thanks for the input |Overlord|, J-Dude and Cucumba.
Thread can be closed if a moderator wishes too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom