[Old PotW] PoTW: Freeza Attacking Goku

Project Manager
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok a few facts straight. First of shadows do cost fps eventually and always will with every current approach let it me multi-pass or deffered. Everyone who has actually seen the code behind every shadow approach, shadow mapping or stencil aproach knows that it always eats fps, nowadays techniques and especially directX comes with some handy stuff to help you minimize that, anyways we're developing half-life because we enjoy the moding and the work, otherwise we won't do it, we also do it to learn things, as it is really not much of a challenge to code some unreal scripts or use a state-of-the art engine. So it's not about how we would finish the project most efficiently but rather that we benefit the most of it as developers. But this is going completely off topic. So either get back on topic or start a new one discussing project efficiency, guess I made myself clear.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Thanks raven.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it is really not much of a challenge to code some unreal scripts or use a state-of-the art engine
I'll bite.

Seriously? I think to realign your goals if you think modding for HL1 is where all the cool cats are, and making games you can publish and profit from on the UDK engine is only for the n3wbs. Dont make a sweeping statement like that since its just silly and quite frankly an insult to many aspiring developers who use unreal as a platform.

is borderlands, a modded unreal game which is hugely popular and a financial success, really less of a challenge to make than ESF? It's also worth noting it was started and completed in less than the three years ESF 1.3 has taken!

As for the lighting itself for the mod, i can understand why you've decided against using real-time since the game already puts alot of stress on the engine. all i asked was for an acknowledgement that the tree shadow is being looked into! shouldn't be a problem if your baking things after all!

Last edited:
Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The aknowledgment was given the first time it was brought up >.>

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's also worth noting it was started and completed in less than the three years ESF 1.3 has taken!
To be fair, 1.3 pretty much started to be rebuilt after OB:F came out.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On a side note though. Nobody finds it the least bit interesting that Grega is trying to evade the topic of an ESF conspiracy? I mean, there is clearly *something* that is making that black spec in the background of the picture. And it is definitly not another player...

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
On a side note though. Nobody finds it the least bit interesting that Grega is trying to evade the topic of an ESF conspiracy? I mean, there is clearly *something* that is making that black spec in the background of the picture. And it is definitly not another player...
I think you're wrong, sir. It looks like somebody was playing as Kid Buu in the background. :O

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You, mister, were on the team. For all we know, you may be in on the conspiracy...-_-

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're probably right.

Or are you? No, you are. Or are you? You are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom