possible to set up a listen server on steam?

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
my cousin just got internet at his own place, and got the free games via steam.

HLDM in this case, and we were wanting to mess around in it, but apparently it is only set up for local games, is there any way around this?

btw this also includes ESF whenever he gets around to buying HL1 <_<

or even one to which i can tell him the ip of,

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Is lan mode set to off.

sv_lan 0

Allso are the ports forwarded on the router and firewall (if you have any of that)

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You should be able to set up a listen server through the "Dedicated Server" program under the "Tools" tab in Steam.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
well lan mode is off, not sure about the ports, rather dont even know how to forward ports =/

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
I remember using a program called Hamachi for this sort of thing. (if you google it I'm sure you'll find where to get it from) The way it works is you create like a server on Hamachi and you and your cousin/friends/whatever join the Hamachi server, which gives the illusion you're on a LAN. From there just create a LAN game in steam (through the dedicated server) and you all should be able to see it.

That should help if you don't know how to forward ports.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
ok well we tried the VPN software, and the server didnt show up in the lan list, then i tried forwarding ports, following valves instructions and that didnt work either.

my server appeared on his list however, which it wasnt doing before, he just couldnt join it.

You should be able to set up a listen server through the "Dedicated Server" program under the "Tools" tab in Steam.
that doesn't even make sense

King of the Hello Kitty Fanclub
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Why couldn't he join your server? Did he get any error messages? If so post 'em. When I used Hamachi ages ago playing cs on steam it worked fine so there must be something else stopping you.

You could also try the opposite, have him create a server and you join it, sometimes thats a way around it if one person can't join another for whatever reason.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
that doesn't even make sense
You stated that Half-Life: Deathmatch is only set up for LAN play only and you wish to find a way around it so you could play with your cousin. Not to mention that the title of this thread is "possible to set up a listen server on steam?" Yes, it's possible to set up a listen server through Steam. To do so, you need to download the "Dedicated Server" tool located under the "Tools" tab in Steam. It's through this tool you can set up a dedicated server for Half-Life: Deathmatch.

**edit
oops meant to quote, didnt change anything

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
if i wanted to create a dedicated server, I would have done so using that tool, the problem is however, as you quoted me saying, is that i want to set up a listen server, not a dedicated.

said server not responding btw

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
we tried that, it showed up that he was on the same hamachi server as I, and i created a game. (however it still may have been in internet mode)

but it didnt show my game in his lan tab, or vice-versa.

brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Well Hamachi should work if you make sure 'sv_lan 0' is set.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Wait, which Half-Life: Deathmatch are we discussing? If you're referring to Deathmatch Classic, then you should be able to set up a listen server through the game.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
no the HL2 one, and so far as i know its done the same way, and the problem SHOULDNt just be with this game, it should be doing the same with all other steam games, but i havent tested (partly due to the fact HLDM is the only one we both have at the moment)

but alas its not working >_>.

MC

πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
no the HL2 one, and so far as i know its done the same way, and the problem SHOULDNt just be with this game, it should be doing the same with all other steam games, but i havent tested (partly due to the fact HLDM is the only one we both have at the moment)

but alas its not working >_>.
So, you create a server and your cousin can't see it? If that's the case, can he see other servers?

Edit

Nevermind.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
k so this is what im doing with hamachi,

created a server,
my cousin joins it, i can see him in it and he can see me.
i create a game in lan mode,

and then thats it, but the problem is neither of us can see each others game in the lan tab of the server screen, have tried it with both sv_lan at 0 and 1.

there are 2 game purchases riding on whether or not we can figure this out, me purchasing HL2 for CS-S, and him to purchase HL1 for ESF =/

brainfeeder
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Does it show up that either of you have joined a game?

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
no, if we cannot see the game, we cannot join it.

if we could even get it to show up in the list when using hamachi thatd be a start

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
You as the creator of the server. Do you have a router?

And wich router.

β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
yes im behind a router,
a linksys BEFW11S4, it does have its problems right now it sometimes kicks off random connections and has to be re-set before they will re-connect, when it is working however, it is working just fine

i just noticed, even when i do set sv_lan at 0, when i create the game it always kicks it back into 1.

i can check and see if it did change the setting by just typing sv_lan by itself, and it will show that it is at 0,
but when i create the game it always kicks it back to 1.

i have been doing this via the console, is there any other way in which i should be doing this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom