Plz help! (PC teccy question)

Best answers
with the release of the ESF beta and natural-selection just around the corner, ive decided to upgrade my gfx card.

at the moment ive got two voodoo 2 cards running in SLI mode (totals 16mb (with an embarrasing p450mhz pc)),ideally id like to double this (to a 32mb+ card), but there are a few things id like to know (bearing in mind i know jack-**** about the inside of PC's):

1. are there any decent on-line shopping site (amazon.co.uk is a bit crappy for gfx cards, it seems)

2. my pc is about 3yrs old, can i only run PCI gfx cards? (bearing in mind im using voodoo 2's). i remember my mate telling me that 'AGP' cards are newer & faster, but my PC hasnt got the support for it.

3. Any cheap gfx cards under, say £50? Im a student so my budget is -tiny- :)

thx for any help u can give

Best answers
geforce 4 Mx 400

100 USD, and is available in PCI.

i think thats the best thing for you

but, i dont know how much £50 is in america, but if its around 50 USD, then go with a geforce 2 TI. that will do nicely also

Best answers
Well I'll advice you to buy some new parts and not one by one.

That would be : -new processor
-new motherboard
-new gfx card

It really depends on how many money you want to spend, but your surely need a new motherboard (for the newer gvd card and processor to run on). And a fast gfx card is nothing with a slow proccesor (it wouldn't use the gfx card at full).

Best answers
he said hes on a low budget, and even just the motherboard is way too expensive.

Retired
Best answers
I agree with sonic34589732

that is the best buy if you look at money/performance.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you have a AGP ver 1.0 slot, you're good for a TNT2 card, which is between 75 and 95% faster than a Voodoo 3 (which is itself a large improvement over Voodoo2's in SLI). I faced the same problem with my 466MHz Celeron A, and the PCI bus will not handle ESF's texture load well. Buy a used TNT2 ultra and save the rest of the money to get a new processor/mobo.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i had a p3 450 (500 clocked) which had an diamond viper v770 32 mb in it, my fps were on the average 30/40 in stress 15 no stress 70.
i decided that i wanted to renew my pc, short on money i bought my new video card a hercules radeon 8500 LE
thinking i could stretch it till i had enough money to buy a new pc,
but...... the performance in fps was still equal to the lower budget card.

i realized that my processor was holding me back, so buying a new grafical card might not even help u, because youre processor will slow the performance of the pc down

Best answers
GF4 mx won't be much of an upgrade when you're running it on a 450mhz proc. Then yes maybe tnt2 could be the answer.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or rub a bank and but a whole warehouse of computers..:p

#edit:

ok but seriously.. i had a pentium 2 266mhz myself and i bought a GeForce 2 mx for it...
it works perfect with games like unreal tournament and quake 3 and halflife...
even max payne worked fine on medium graphics..

but stuff like starting up and internet got slow as hell
so now i bought a Athlon XP 2000+ with a new mobo..
its currently at the store for a repair... so i'll see how much the improvement is..

Best answers
thanks for the advie people!

it seems like a TNT 2 card is the best buy (although im havin trouble looking for a buyer)

I take it the TNT 2 is AGP, how do I find out if my PC has an AGP slot without opening it up?

thanks again :p

Best answers
Hehe why won't you open it up... ? It's the easyist way, and you'll need to open it up when you put in the GFX card anyways.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
am i the only english one here but him? u cannot get a gf4 mx440 for 50, 70-80 but no way 50, u will have to go with 64m gf3

Best answers
Geforce 3 or 4 would be a waste of many with a 450mhz...

Best answers
1 pound is 3 dollars so its aruond 150 bucks probably nearer to 200

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by SCIxX
Geforce 3 or 4 would be a waste of many with a 450mhz...
well duh, u would need to buy a better one of them too :p like a althon 1600 or something;/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom