Pcjoes Min Mod - Particle System

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
URL - www.oktagone.net/~pcjoe/Pcjoes_mod.zip
Size - 735 KB
By - Joseph 'Pcjoe' Florencio
Time to make this readme - 2 minutes

My first particle system:) Features a lot of stuff, lemme start with telling you the buttons

L - ThirdPerson
K - FirstPerson
M - impulse 101, sv_cheats 1 is automatically activated

Now, to activate the particle system. There are 2 different ones.
1) Secondary CrowBar Fire
Activates Particle system with floating rocks and dust

2) Secondary EgonGun Fire
Activates Particle system with Dust, Floating rocks, Electricity, and Sparks+rocks flying out of the bottom of the Electricty sprite

Note - RUN IN OPEN GL! Direct 3d lags like hell, it sucks... Also, the Stamina bar doesn't do anything, it was just a hud test. One more thing --- The stamina bar doesn't do anything to your speed/jumping. It was just a coding test.

Features:
-= General =-
- Each particle has "Life" and takes its own path, dying at its own specified time.

=-DUST-=
- Particles have complete collision detection, they will collide with the wall and stop
- Each Particle increases and fades away as it gets further away from the player
- Dust only comes out from the ground, and looses intensity as you go up in the air(you can't fly, so just climb up a big ladder to test it)

-=Floating Rocks=-
- Complete collision detection, when it hits something, it stops and fades away
- And some other obvoius crap...

-=Lighting=-
- Long columns of animated Lighting strikes. At the bottom of each lighting strike Sparks and rocks come flying out.
: Rocks that fly out :
- Collision detection, when it collides with the wall, it bounces off, and fades away
: Sparks :
- No collision detection, but just kinda flys out, and disapears

FAQ -
Q1) I can't seem to run this, all it does is laucnh regular ESF.
A1) This mod isn't FOR esf, its just a Regular mod. You launch it by
a) Creating a shortcut to halflife using this Command line(assuming its installed to the default location
- C:\SIERRA\Half-Life\hl.exe -console -game Pcjoes_mod
b) Going in the mod menu ingame and activating Pcjoe's Mod

Q2) More questions will come up when more people ask them:)

Theres more stuff, but its pretty obvious... Post here with suggestions and comments.
And thanks for trying out my mini mod, hope you enjoy it:)

Credits -
Code : Joseph 'Pcjoe' Florencio
Rock Sprites : Ansel from BFP
Aura sound : Freedom from ESF

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
that looks great!
could become a stand-alone-mod beside esf :D

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Sweet! :) I'm going to play with my buddies right now, I'm out! :D

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by .FM.

:yes: :yes: :]
You could have atlease took a shot of the egon gun with the lighting n stuff:p

Best answers
im running a geforce 2 mx, 750 AMD, 256Mb 'o' ram runnin in open gl in 1028x768 and my comp could hardly handle it

test it on the map bounce and type in the console sv_gravity 50.
pcjoe that looks really cool but two things are, rock particals stick to the roof and the dust should disapeare alltogether if youre say about 10-20meters off the ground

other than that it looks cool

btw thats a cool idea of showing progress

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Dirty Harry
im running a geforce 2 mx, 750 AMD, 256Mb 'o' ram runnin in open gl in 1028x768 and my comp could hardly handle it

test it on the map bounce and type in the console sv_gravity 50.
pcjoe that looks really cool but two things are, rock particals stick to the roof and the dust should disapeare alltogether if youre say about 10-20meters off the ground

other than that it looks cool

btw thats a cool idea of showing progress

1) Hmm... Could it handle the crowbar particle system? And what was your FPS. Also, were you looking at multible people?

2) The rock particles are suppose to stick to the roof, thats how i programed it... Think about it, your goku powering up. Rock particles are flying up and one hits the roof. Its going to stop, and then blow up. Since it would lag too much to have them blow up, i just made them fade away.

3) I didn't bother, since its not in ESF. I can do that with acouple lines of code though, so its not a big deal:)

Thanks for the comments and suggestions:) I'll be sure to take them into concideration when I'm making the ESF particle system with Zero:)

Best answers
well i dident know what my exact FPS was, but in an open space (outside on maps bounce and bootcamp)and on my own my FPS must have been about 10-15 with crowbar and prolly 5-10 with egongun

i think what you should change is the colour of the dust particals they were a bit bright make them browner if you can, and if its possible try to make the center of the dust partials texture not so solid/bland (hard to explain)

the lightning bots should only be on if youre 10-20 meters from the ground and make them touch the ground.

BTW whats the console command to let you see youre FPS?

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All of the sprites are temp. The "dust" sprites are gauss balls, the rock sprits are from BFP, and the lighting sprites come with half-life. Try it on a map like Crossfire. Bounce is just a big map as it is. Your fps probably wasn't that great before you activated the particle system.

Best answers
come to think of it i did play on crossfire and i still had poor FPS prolly 15-20

Best answers
wow great job pcjoe looks great to me keep up the good work:yes:

Coder - Harsens sidekick
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
damn, it DOES lag. I was testing it on my PIII 500(geforce 2 gts, 256 megs of ram), and i get like 5-15 fps with the egon, heh. I coded it on my athlon XP 1900, and it seemed to work fine on that, heh... O well, looks like i need to do some tweaking, thanks for the heads up.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Originally posted by Pcjoe
damn, it DOES lag. I was testing it on my PIII 500(geforce 2 gts, 256 megs of ram), and i get like 5-15 fps with the egon, heh. I coded it on my athlon XP 1900, and it seemed to work fine on that, heh... O well, looks like i need to do some tweaking, thanks for the heads up.

:S ...............i have an ati 11mb video card and i get 20-40 fps

p. Celeron 733 :] no lag

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
well when i tryed it with joe i was uploading crap to mah server so i lagged and mah comp sux alot so. lol.

and i was on D3D.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The egon lagged me though, but that's besides the point, because that particle system pwnz j00!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom