(PC issues) I don't really know where else to ask soo...

Best answers
i'll ask here.

I've recently put together a new comp and everything works fine accept it randomly shuts off. When i first flipped the switch it was doing it every 10-30mins then it stopped for a week or so and now its doing it again.

2.66ghz intel core 2 duo
maxtor sata hdd 300ghz
geforce 7900
2gigs ddr2 ram
450watt power supply

speed fan readings

system 26c
cup 30c
AUX: 125c
DH0: 34c
core 0: 33c
core 1: 33c
core: 58c
ambient: 0c

Vcore: 1.24v
+12v: 1140v
AVcc: 3.28v

^none of those numbers mean anything to me but I'm pretty sure its not a heat issue. I think it might be a wattage issue but before i do anything I wanna get everyone's opinion on this.

Best answers
my best guess is run memtest on it. my old pc did that when the ram went bad. could be lack of power, 450 is kinda low for todays standards. could also be a part failing.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It could be your PSU. 450W is kinda low. A 600W PSU would probably be better for ya.

Esf_Newbie said:
AUX: 125c
That's 257 degress fahrenheit. >_>

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
125 Degrees Celsius is why too high.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Agreed. Go much higher and youll melt the thing.

Right now you can boil water inside it. My PC runs at about 50c and im still thinking if it would be good to build in another fan.

Best answers
Whats AUX anyway?

This comp will stay on unless i start playing games. it'll even shut down on starcraft.

Thanks tsudami, I'll go google-research memtests.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
new power suply, 600-700w should do the trick, chances are everything is overheating because your current psu is trying to pump out enough for everything and is radiating like a mother****er.

oh, and you can never have too many fans.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yikes, that's a hot tomale x.x My Laptop runs 45-65 on the cpu (higher end only when gaming) and GPU usually 50-65. I don't like how hot that is, but not much I can do about it. But yeah, wow that thing's hot. I'd have to agree that the PSU is burning up a storm trying to compensate for everything. Oh, also, moved to tech bench.

Best answers
I don't think that reading is accurate. No one knows what AUX is?

Since before i made this post i've opened the case and had a huge fan blowing on it. That 125 hasn't gone up or down since then.

Best answers
Auxiliary input jack.
Thats what I initially thought but, all i got plugged to this thing is the normal headphones/speakers, keyboard, monitor and then 3 USB ports for mouse, ipod charger, and external HD.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No. If you do some research regarding the AUX reading--it doesn't mean anything. There's nothing feeding it. Don't worry about it.

Best answers
As already suggested, run memtest to see if any errors arise with your ram. I'd also try swapping both sticks out and run them individually in your pc just to see if one is in fact faulty. If you also have friends that will let you borrow parts to test in your pc I'd also perhaps try their ram in your mainboard and if it does the same thing, you have ruled out the memory as being a contributing factor. I'd advise that you do a similar thing with you Power supply as well to rule that out, as a decent 450W shouldn't have much trouble powering your system.

Once you were to rule those two out I'd suppose the problem would then point towards your mainboard I suppose.

As for your processor, is the heatsink to hot to touch for a period of time (IE: Burn your finger, seeing as how one core is reading at 58C). Bios temp reading and core readings are two different things, the bios relies on a temp censor and programs that read off the diode tell you otherwise about individual temps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom