PC Gamers, get Ready to Die...Dark Souls PC!

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The best thing about this is the music in the tailer.

[video=youtube;TC9POpjnB9g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TC9POpjnB9g[/video]
Glad I found out about this band.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it's a pretty epic piece of music in todays trailers only rock music and rap.

To get some -actual- music for once. Amazing.

Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
How so? I'm saying that even after launching RE5 with steam, you were still forced to log on with GFWL.
Call me old fashioned but Im not a big fan of using these "Game Managers/Stores" to launch my games from. Steam uses quite a bit of computing power to run,(not that I lack it) but it just bugs me when I could be using it in the game or for my background programs. I do like how they implemented the social features within the games as well as how it acts like a VPN client on Steam and out of Origin/GFWL/UPlay and what-not, Steam is definitely the best by a large margin, but it still makes me nautious to use it. There's nothing wrong with it, but I am not a big fan of Multiplayer games xcept the occasional BF3 match therefore its useless to me most of the time.

Last edited:
Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
.. I still don't see how that makes what I said a double negative, 'I'm not no...' would be a double negative.... and a butchering of basic English xD.

I could see maybe you calling me a hypocrite for using Steam after crying about GFWL.. but that wouldn't make sense either, seeing as GFWL as a form of DRM is second to worst (Origin beat it out when they told me they reserve the right to copy my system reg. file and sell it to whoever they want), this is not an option, unlike steam where you opt into steam collection system information only.. such as cpu/ram/gpu/hdd and the like so they get an idea of what your rig is like.. not what programs you are running/your browser history/any and all personal information... man **** Origin -_-).

In any event, those 'game managers' save so much space on my desktop it's not funny.. seeing as I have literally 98 games on my hard drive, purchased through Steam alone.. Would you want a desktop with 98+ icons? I use Steam because it also saves me from having, as stated 98 boxes just sitting around, doing jack all, along with the 98+ cds/dvds that would come with them.

As far as Steam using system resources, the amount of resources used in minimal at best, and you would notice no difference running a game with steam and without. It's also, hands down, the least intrusive form of DRM their is, unless of course again, you pull a CAPCOM and force the game to run through GFWL, ON TOP of Steam.

Lastly, with again, 98 games purchased on Steam alone (this doesn't include physical game discs that I bought before steam was even around) and a LARGE number of mods, you can imagine my online game time is quite high. Doesn't change the fact that GFWL is still a sure fire way to kill your PC port before it even hits the shelf.

Last edited:
Only go forward sideways
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I simply meant it as " I do not like Steam" and "I do not like GFWL either". Therefore this game supporting 2 things I do not like, making its release platforms 2xnegative.

Lol can't you just create a folder on the Desktop and place Shortcuts to all the games in there? I have a folder named "Play" on my desktop with 20 games in there all in a grid layout with icons. I find that this looks much neater than that list that Steam employs. Also having those physical form "boxes" around means that:

1. I do not have enough space to have 98 games intalled at one time in my PC. This point branches out into other things like me getting rid of a game I finished to restore some free space and then maybe I want to play it again later in which case I would have to download it again etc. when I could easily just install it of a disc instead.
2. If for some reason I do not have internet or I am on a laptop and I want to play some game which I do not have installed but I have purchased it digitally then I am ****ed.
3. If I want to install the game on more than one machine it would take more time as I have to download and install it on all of them.
4. If I want to let my friend borrow one of my games to play I cant without lending him my account details.
5. If any of those companies go down your digital copy of the game is lost. (This goes along with my issue of not trusting other people with my property)
6. If a server fails which distributes a certain game that say, you just wanted to download, this would make the game unavailable for the time being, again being as if you lost your digital copy for a while.

I remember a time when I had a mid-range PC and Steam was definitely noticeable when it was running. Not a huge impact, but noticeable. I moved to high-end now and it isnt an issue any more.

And again, I also agree Steam is the best out of all of these "game managers" and DRM enforcers :smile:. While I just listed disadvantages there, there are also advantages obviously over physical copies of software.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
vg247 said:
Namco Bandai’s announced the PC version of Dark Souls will come to Steam after its initial announce came without an announce on the Valve platform.

The PC version was announced back in May, but was down for Games for Windows Live only at that time. A petition to release the RPG onto Steam was met with under 23,000 signatures. Namban’s also announced the console version of Dark Soul will get the previously-exclusive PC content as DLC this winter, called Artorias of the Abyss. It’ll cost 1200 MS points on 360 or $14.99 on PS3.

The DLC will include more explorable areas, new enemy and boss types, new NPCs and more.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition launches on August 24 on PC. A console version of the Prepare to Die Edition will launch this winter.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/05/31/dark-souls-pc-coming-to-steam-consoles-to-get-pc-content/

Namco pretty much went and solved the entire issue. Good going there. GFWL will probably still show up in Steam, but hey, you win some, you lose some.

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Lost my second buy then it seems. Not a huge deal to them I know, I'll just fork out the 15$ for the DLC in winter.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
There was nothing they could do about GFWL. They had a limited time to port the game and GFWL was to most familiar thing to Xbox Live.

It's still the lazy man's porting solution, so it could mean that this game has a medium possibility of sucking because it will be a bad PC port. But it's something the fans will have to stomach if they want to see another game like this made by them for the PC, this attempt has to be supported but they have to be told nicely and politely that next time they should drop the WL.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's worse.

I could deal with a 30FPS cap. It would suck, but I could deal.

But they are -not- fixing the frame rate issues, either, such as dips to 1FPS or so, on the consoles. Unacceptable!

More powerful hardware...should equal...not as many frame rate dips...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain

"In terms of the PC version, the quick answer is no, [we won't be fixing the frame rate problems]. Because we wanted to get the PC version out as soon as possible, it's more strictly a port from the console version. We haven't been able to step up into doing any specific optimisation for PC.
The only supported resolutions will be 1280 x 720 & 1920 x 1080...no 1024 x 768, no 1920 x 1200, no 2560 x 1600, nothing. You can only select between two resolutions. Hopefully someone hacks 16:10 support in.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It's worse.

I could deal with a 30FPS cap. It would suck, but I could deal.

But they are -not- fixing the frame rate issues, either, such as dips to 1FPS or so, on the consoles. Unacceptable!

More powerful hardware...should equal...not as many frame rate dips...

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2...ing-dark-souls-to-pc-frame-rate-issues-remain

The only supported resolutions will be 1280 x 720 & 1920 x 1080...no 1024 x 768, no 1920 x 1200, no 2560 x 1600, nothing. You can only select between two resolutions. Hopefully someone hacks 16:10 support in.
Yeah I can't shake the feeling that Namco is just trying it's hardest to actually prove to the world that their allergy for the PC is justified.
The same thing happened to Rockstar, release a crappy console port of GTA IV and then wondered why people would not buy that P.O.S. and never risked making a port for something like Red Dead Redemption, which still pisses me off today because that game was fantastic. But noooo instead they port L.A. Noire. Good god developers and publishers like these make me want to kill kittens.... with a brick.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just requested a refund from Steam. Hopefully I can get this one.

Thanks Mkil.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Just requested a refund from Steam. Hopefully I can get this one.

Thanks Mkil.
No problem.

8$ is 8$. Some people I read said "eh, it'll be a hassle, I'll just buy directly from Steam"

And such people complain later on when they don't have any money. 8$ here, 4$ there, do that 20 times a month and it adds the frack up.

Oh snap!

I forgot had gotten some free game on GoG a few years ago. It can be traded in for 2$!

So that's 10$ off. Very good deal for me...

Physical edition...meh...Artbook is not worth 15$ to me.

29.99$? That's 25% off. Can't expect much more than that for at least a few months post release...unless it bombs beyond belief.

I hope I don't regret this. I know all about how bad a port it's going to be, but I hold out some hope.

I'ma be massively disappointed if this doesn't require a CD Key and pirated versions can play online with legit players as well. If so, wasted money! A reason I never bought Borderlands, that!

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

I really love those guys.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^

I hear all the time about how terrible Steam support is and how it's impossible to refund games on it, yet bam, there it is.

And honestly? Your reason isn't very good. "I found it cheaper", you can bet your entire wallet that EA wouldn't allow a refund of a pre-order for that reason. Most companies wouldn't.

Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition (NA) ... $32.00
Payment type:
Original Credit value: $0.00
Total $30.00
So yay.

29.99$ basically, for it. Now no one can say I didn't support bringing to the PC. Please don't let it be wasted money, From Software!

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain

I regret pre-ordering it now, almost. I know it's a console port...but to be locked @ 1024 x 720...

While the frame-rate's rough edges have been filed down, you're still going to be playing at 30FPS out of the box, as widely rumoured. A graphics menu has been added in, but there are no obvious ways to raise the bar to the preferable 60FPS mark.

Dark Souls PC uses the very same 1024x720 internal framebuffer as the console versions, regardless of which resolution has been set in the menus. The option provided is for output resolution only; a simple courtesy to allow the game to play on most monitors, but the image quality will always remain the same. In short, PC gamers will very much be getting the genuine console experience here, right down to the pixel.
So even if you run, say, 2560 x 1440...the resolution will still be 1024 x 720. I don't mean the textures, that was always expected. Just that it won't upscale, either. So you're not even getting the incredibly minor benefit of upscaling.

30FPS...at times...and no option to change resolution...

Video:

[video]http://www.imdb.com/video/cbs/vi3840582937/[/video]

Last edited:
Dudemeister
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-08-09-dark-souls-pc-preview-the-devils-bargain

I regret pre-ordering it now, almost. I know it's a console port...but to be locked @ 1024 x 720...

So even if you run, say, 2560 x 1440...the resolution will still be 1024 x 720. I don't mean the textures, that was always expected. Just that it won't upscale, either. So you're not even getting the incredibly minor benefit of upscaling.

30FPS...at times...and no option to change resolution...

Video:

[video]http://www.imdb.com/video/cbs/vi3840582937/[/url]
You know what truly bothers me about this? It's the fact that this will be given as an example by console fan boy in the console vs PC "war".

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They already tkae it as such.

"Why should PC gamers get any different? They're already paying less than us"

"PC gamers are so entitled" ect.

Annoying.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why bother doing a port if you're going to do a below average job on it...

Developers annoy me

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom