Official PotW & MOTM Thread

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Any normal PC should be able to handle Half Life with bloom. If you can't, get a new PC, since your's is clearly outdated.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Any normal PC should be able to handle Half Life with bloom. If you can't, get a new PC, since your's is clearly outdated.
Thats what Im going for... its one thing to have an old PC to work and do other stuff but if you're gonna use it for gaming and expect a modding community to cut back on the potential of their features (mainly visual) because of 1% of those who own outdated machines... just seems a bit drastic and unfair for
the other 99% who own worthy enough computers.

I mean cmon if you still have a PC that can only run HL in software mode than I suggest you save some money up and get a PCI graphics card or something...

Its evident the team is considering those who don't have the money to upgrade... but HL is a 10 year old game... cmon! :p

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My laptop has a Ge-force 7300 Go, and it has unoficial drivers for better performance because Nvidia never made a good update for it. With it I run Half-life Episode 2 with absolutely no problems.

Has you can see in 1st pic, the game usually runs with 71-72 FPS, exept when I abuse of glowing like in picture 2 where the spirit bomb glows all the 3 buildings. When I toke this second screenshot, the led of my laptop almost didnt blink, just almost like he was running just windows concluding it was not making much effort to process the images.

Pic1

Pic2

Question: With that bloom effect, even with a 10 stars computer, wont it be to much for the engine of HL?

I refuse to believe that others computers can do much better than mine in ESF 1.3

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right, it really is about pushing the engine too hard imho. The effect itself won't neccesarily cause as many problems as trying to do it in an outdated engine. We'll see what happens though.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
I've added all the archive potw's. You can use the attachments links to add in your PoTW direct image link if you wish. I also named the attachments after dates, so you can see from what date it is. Some potw dates may be wrong, but I've tried to make it as close as possible. I've also added a bunch more old year 07 potw's.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Snowman, that LED on your laptop doesn't have to do anything with performance or CPU/GPU. It is the harddrive LED, it blinks when something is written or read from your harddrive.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They should put in as much effort as they want into gfx options, just make them cvars for the poor kids with terrible old computers.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First of all, just whanted to say that I went to the control panel of nvidia and made specifications for half-life, it had antianalizing 4x on, and other stuff that was not needed, and the game is now running 72 FPS every momment, I can abuse glowing as much as I whant and it doesnt slow down FS.

Snowman, that LED on your laptop doesn't have to do anything with performance or CPU/GPU. It is the harddrive LED, it blinks when something is written or read from your harddrive.
The reason I said that is because usually that hard drive's led blinks a lot when something is taking too much effort from the computer. Like moderns new games and programs.

They should put in as much effort as they want into gfx options, just make them cvars for the poor kids with terrible old computers.
You're talking to me???

Last edited:
ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
New POTW :D
Showing a small part of our new super awesome xml designer tool

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
not really, its much easier and has a lot more things you can do with it.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I like it ^_^ nice job on the GUI

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is goku going to have kaioken transformation? like a temporary transformation?

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
no. it was just a test to check some features of that tool.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Neat!
Id love to test it out when it is released.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I kinda hope it doesnt end badly.

People making their own characters is a disaster in the modeling departemnt. The increase of ripped models is bigger then ever since the CCI was released.

With an easier to use system like this there would be even more people doing "their own" characters since the requirement on coding doesnt exist here like it did with the CCI.

The Brain Freezer
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, i agree with that Grega, lets just hope that the character spagueti doesnt get out of hand....

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think that thing is an nice idea, so people can make now theire own characters and finaly have GT content if they want.
And i dont think it can get abused. If person A makes an Uebermegasuperextraordinarysupersaiyan then people can just leave his server :).

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom