Off-topic forum post count

Should post count be enabled for Off-Topic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Asking for the nth time is not going to get you a different answer from Sky. If it's a matter of him not wanting to tamper with a bygone regulation, we can discuss that in private, as I don't believe that anyone who actually put that regulation in place is still around and in charge of the forum staff.

If, however, it's a matter of him simply not wanting to recalculate the post counts and nothing more, then there isn't much else to say - he's the forum owner, and this isn't a democracy.

Sorry to be blunt, but it appears that responding in that manner is the only thing that's going to address your question(s). Unless Sky has anything else he wants to add, I expect that this will be the last time the above question will be asked. Don't push the issue just to push the issue.

EDIT - Just to reiterate:

Post count incrementing in the Off-Topic section has ALREADY been re-enabled as of early yesterday morning.
We already know "recalculating" the post count isn't a huge deal, and he's given us horrible reasons for not wanting to do so. That said, that isn't what I've asked. I asked why it would be bad for someone to know their true post count. Why do I think Sky believes it to be bad? Because he has said several times that "recalculating" the post count would give certain members much higher post counts than other people.

So again, my question is why is someone having a much higher post count than someone else a bad thing. None of you have answered this question. Either none of you are actually reading what I said (which would explain why Sky thinks we got what we asked for by making off topic posts add to our post count rather than giving us the ability to see what our true post count is), or you're simply ignoring it.

@ Hibiki: He isn't using an abacus to recalculate our post counts. He's really doing nothing more than flipping a few switches. It has nothing to do with it being difficult to implement. For whatever reason, he's morally against us having our true post counts. He says he can change it so that we do see our true post counts, but he doesn't know if he can change it back. Again, why bother changing it back? What is so wrong with us having huge post counts?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
We already know "recalculating" the post count isn't a huge deal, and he's given us horrible reasons for not wanting to do so. That said, that isn't what I've asked. I asked why it would be bad for someone to know their true post count. Why do I think Sky believes it to be bad? Because he has said several times that "recalculating" the post count would give certain members much higher post counts than other people.

So again, my question is why is someone having a much higher post count than someone else a bad thing. None of you have answered this question. Either none of you are actually reading what I said (which would explain why Sky thinks we got what we asked for by making off topic posts add to our post count rather than giving us the ability to see what our true post count is), or you're simply ignoring it.

@ Hibiki: He isn't using an abacus to recalculate our post counts. He's really doing nothing more than flipping a few switches. It has nothing to do with it being difficult to implement. For whatever reason, he's morally against us having our true post counts. He says he can change it so that we do see our true post counts, but he doesn't know if he can change it back. Again, why bother changing it back? What is so wrong with us having huge post counts?
It isn't that simple why do you keep not listening to everyone.

Recalculating all the old posts is NOT as simple as just switching it otherwise it would of happened when it started counting posts again.

Because off topic was labeled as not counting the forums don't count those old posts so if you want to physically sift through every single topic and add the posts or make a plug in to that then go ahead.

If you don't then stop whining about every little detail. Honestly no I don't think you need a huge post count simply because you are being such a huge baby about it. It's nothing but whine whine whine out of you.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd rather not recalcute the offtopic posts. Massive posts might be added to specific usernames.
No -_-, as you guys said before. Off-topic posts aren't as much posted as in the past.. If I'd recalculate now, all those posts will be included in a lot of users and they will gain massive post counts. What is the point in having a post-count prevention in the offtopic section in the first place?
That's the thing, I cannot change it back. UNLESS the forum can re-read that the offtopic section is a "no post count gaining" section, so it removes the post count again. But I can't be sure of that that the forums will do that.
I AM reading.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So are you going to use your time machine and go back and make the old posts count? Cause you can't change it now and have it effect the past.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And yet, in my last post, Sky says it's possible to do. But again, that isn't what I'm asking.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok sure its possible and the only reason we dont want to do it is because you are annoying.

There happy?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok sure its possible and the only reason we dont want to do it is because you are annoying.

There happy?
It's another lie. Just tell us the truth the first time. No one wants to physically recalculate the posts. Fine. I'll do it, if it means that much to everyone. I'm just that kind of guy.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As I said over and over who really gives a rats behind about a post count? I've been here for 6 years and still have under a 1000 posts to my name. Hibiki has over 9000 which is a great achievement even though he use to spam the boards so bad that every forum was covered in "Last reply by Hibiki" going straight down! :yes:

Obviously its going to kill you if you don't know your exact post count for whatever reason you want to show besides "Bragging" about your post count which is the main reason why it was disabled many many moons ago.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ok nix go read every single topic and get back to us. Cause you're just "such a good guy"

The problem is phob no one cares about the post counts. People just care about making the staff look bad.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ya if people can't find anything to piss and moan about the world comes to an end which I guess is the reason why everyone finds something to complain about.

Any hooters I still vote for no to re-enabling post counts but that seems to be done and over with so to recalculate all the posts which be a big waste of time in my opinion and shouldn't even be bothered with.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The entire purpose of this thread was to find out our actual post count. That's all we wanted. If you want to turn this into another, "Oh my god! Zeo's after the staff! He hates them so much!" "Wait, doesn't he work for us now?" "SHHHH!!" diatribe, fine, but you're just being dishonest. Again. If that wasn't possible, a poll shouldn't have been made and we shouldn't have been given a crapload of false reasons why it can't be done, when in reality, it can. Just say no.

I don't want off topic posts to count now. We were just curious to see what our total post count is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't want off topic posts to count now. We were just curious to see what our total post count is.
Of course NOW you don't want that. Yes now that we have that it suddenly has become about something completely different. Why how could we complain about something we have now?

Oh I know lets suddenly make this about something else.

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My question is for what purpose do you want to find your actual post count out for? To brag about and flaunt around? For cereal I don't see any other reasons besides negative ones which like I said was the cause of disabling post counts in off-topic.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
My question is for what purpose do you want to find your actual post count out for? To brag about and flaunt around? For cereal I don't see any other reasons besides negative ones which like I said was the cause of disabling post counts in off-topic.
As stated numerous times, the answer is curiousity.

@ Hibiki: I don't want it because it isn't what we asked for. Read the first post.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So again, my question is why is someone having a much higher post count than someone else a bad thing.
My apologies for missing the question. However, I'm afraid my point remains essentially the same - Sky either thinks that giving people huge post counts is a bad thing due to some preconceived notion generated by a bygone regulation, or he just thinks they are bad out of some sort of "preference".

If the former is true, we (the other admins) can work that out with him. If the latter is true, then there isn't much we can do. Whatever the case may be, you've posed the question a number of times as I said, and I'm not sure what you hope to accomplish through that; Sky's answers obviously aren't satisfactory for you, and I doubt they will change to suit your expectations, particularly if my latter hypothesis is correct. The only thing this discussion has managed to accomplish is reviving a very classical feud that I don't want to see continue.

So, from this point forward, there's no arguing the semantics of your question, the wording of the poll, the wording of the initial post, or anything else in here. If Sky wants to add anything, I'm sure your question has been repeated enough for him to notice your curiosity. Enough is enough, and that goes for staffers, as well.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would like to say something :|

Zeonix, among numerous others users, have rationally requested that off-topic posts count towards post counts and/or that they can see their grand total. There is no harm in that, as far as I know. We're curious is all.

But I have to agree with him, that many of the answers have been ambiguous or just dodging the question. If the answer was "it's too much work", then that's ultimately acceptable. Then, people began requesting to see how much they have posted altogether, because I would think there must be some description displaying how many posts a user has made since they signed up, a seemingly basic statistic.

The last couple of pages arguing against a grand total post count have been very cynical. They mostly consisted of the stereotypical idea that we would brag and boast about it, and find more things to wine about. All of this is just jumping to conclusions and not even completely addressing the request. And then individuals begin unfairly jumping down Zeonix's throat just because he did not roll over when his question was not completely answered.

I think some people are over-complicating our requests o_O. We just want to know how many times we clicked "post" since we came here. No conspiracy against the staff. No bragging of e-peens from the majority of the regulars. No idle *****ing. We're just curious.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I fail to see how I was ambiguous in stating that the fact of the matter lies in two possible scenarios:

1) Sky doesn't want to recalculate the post counts because of a matter of opinion related to the old deactivation of off-topic post count incrementation (a matter that I and the other admins can discuss with him).

2) Sky doesn't want to recalculate the post counts because he simply doesn't want to do so. His forum, his choice.

Yes, there are rational arguments for post count recalculation. I'm not sure who you're addressing, Chakra, but I don't see any "conspiracy against the staff"; nor do my cohorts on the senior staff, for that matter. However, what I do not understand about the last handful of posts is that people seem to be forgetting that the last call, unless he says otherwise, goes to Sky; as the forum owner, he isn't obliged to give anyone any reason for his decisions and preferences. If his rationale is unsatisfactory, that's just hard cheese. I, for one, didn't think the forum needed an arcade or a credit system, but I didn't force that opinion onto Sky because I respect that he is allowed to alter the forum he paid for how he likes.

If any of you cannot respect the fact that Sky is the owner and is entitled to privileges in light of that, then I respectfully request that you keep your qualms to yourself and just move on.

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're pretty much the only one who has answered truthfully, Majin. I think Chakra was referring to Skyrider and Hibiki.

Base belongs to me.
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💎Légéñdārý
Best answers
So, the reason why you guys want this recalculations is because you want to know how much offtopic posts you have? I can't believe you guys keep pushing it even I said multiple times no. The reason why I didn't / don't want to do it is because the off-topic rules were there and I don't want to break it just so guys can gain those post counts. As said before.. If I'd do this, why the heck did we had the "no post count in offtopic" in the first place? It is not just because "I don't like it", I just think if I'd do this, I find it stupid that the off-topic limiter was there in the first place.

Either way, there is a 50/50 chance that I am unable to reverse this.. Thus, I'm going to recalculate all the posts on the backup previous old version forums.. And I'll see if any changes are being made to the post counts. I'm also going to attempt to set the off-topic back to normal on the previous forums to see it it also takes away the post counts. But by doing this recalculations of all 28k+ users, it will cause a huge overload on the servers.

Last edited:
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Even if it doesn't work, it's good to know that you're willing to try. I personally do not care if it's added or not. If it is, that's fine. If it isn't, that's fine too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom