Obama Won!

Status
Not open for further replies.
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I refuse to refer to that man as president. I'm reffering to him for the next four years (or until he's assassinated) as Senator.

Well, nice knowing you boys. We're all dead.

When this country is recovering or may be even prospering, you're going to credit the Christian right for pulling together and fixing all the problems while that terrorist black dude is planning the capture of all white people, right? Or how about a Hamas hostile takeover?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The numbers there aren't accurate.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
When this country is recovering or may be even prospering, you're going to credit the Christian right for pulling together and fixing all the problems while that terrorist black dude is planning the capture of all white people, right? Or how about a Hamas hostile takeover?
It amazes me how far people here can over-reach. I say I'm a Christian, I say I'm conservative, I say I'd prefer McCain, and automatically you assume I'm some sort of stereotypical antagonist who condones racism. I have no problem at all with black people. In fact, the idea of a black president appealed to me, until I saw he wasn't for our team. I'd love a black president. A black, Republican, president, who will keep the balance of power between the parties, as opposed to now, when we have a Democratic Congress and a Democratic president.

Best answers
It's the balance of power that's keeping things from being accomplished.

It didn't work for Jedi and Sith... why should it work for Republicans and Democrats?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's also the balance of power that keeps the government from totally ****ing us over. Opposing viewpoints are a good thing for a healthy democracy. I personally am a liberal, but I'm glad the dems don't have a filibuster proof majority.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It amazes me how far people here can over-reach. I say I'm a Christian, I say I'm conservative, I say I'd prefer McCain, and automatically you assume I'm some sort of stereotypical antagonist who condones racism. I have no problem at all with black people. In fact, the idea of a black president appealed to me, until I saw he wasn't for our team. I'd love a black president. A black, Republican, president, who will keep the balance of power between the parties, as opposed to now, when we have a Democratic Congress and a Democratic president.
As it stands, our Congress isn't to the point to where it's overly Democratic, as my good buddy Al just pointed out. I'll also agree with how much it sucks you're being stereotyped, same thing happens to Cuc. Probably would happen to Wal Mart if he talked about his religion more, providing he is Christian. I also understand you wouldn't mind a black president who was in line with your views. That's the way many of us felt about Palin. It would have been awesome to have a woman VP but, in all honesty, the stuff she said scared me(when she was actually on topic. Half the time during the debates she was off on a tangent.) McCain had my vote up until around that point.

She's the one who likely killed any chance McCain had in office. It does the republican image no good when you've got a lot of your party members bashing on Palin two weeks before the election. It almost feels like McCain chose her just because of her rural charm, and that's about the only thing she really had going for her.

As for that chart, yes, it's bull, for many reasons. Who tends to be republican? People from Small Town, USA. The places where one typically can get by fine with a High School diploma or GED. That, and can one truly measure something as intangible as intelligence? Is it right to even try to fit it to a bell curve? What subjects should be deemed as intelligence? I've got a lot of friends from home who've got years and years of sports statistics memorized, yet needed tutoring in math and science classes.

It's basically something for liberals to get a good chuckle out of and gloat about. It sucks but that's how it goes. They've endured 8 years of a president they hated, so they're just letting it out, much like conservatives did once Bush took office in 2000. If it bothers you, it's best just to let it slide off your back and remember that in 8-12 years it's very likely will have another Republican in office once again.

JTM

Formerly Fatality
Best answers
Power to the people. This may give us another chance with the rest of the world that's on our asses now because of the Bush Administration.

EDIT :

For shame, J-Dude. For shame.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Deman raises an interesting point about Sarah Palin and I'd like to talk for a minute about her. I do believe that for the first month, she rallied the Republican base to support John McCain, but I also believe that she rallied the Democrat base who was, as Deman said, scared that she might become the president. It's funny how one person can make one group of people excited while making another group of people fearful for the future.

She'll probably try to run again in 2012, but I don't think she'll have much luck. Now that the election is over, Fox news of all places has come out with information that Sarah Palin had a hard time being brought up to speed, had no idea what countries were in NATO, she didn't even know Africa was a continent (look for the video on youtube if you don't believe me). My eight year old brother can list all of the continents.

I don't believe shes what lost McCain the election, though. I think McCain lost based on his own weaknesses (economy, having similar views as Bush) and Obama's own strengths (change, being seen as a better choice for dealing with the economy). Personally, I liked McCain in 2000, but the McCain that ran in 2008 was not the same man. Ah well.

edit: Also
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3279/3006416363_95ef8de914_o.jpg

Those beautiful pictures sum up why this election was historic.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That, and can one truly measure something as intangible as intelligence? Is it right to even try to fit it to a bell curve? What subjects should be deemed as intelligence? I've got a lot of friends from home who've got years and years of sports statistics memorized, yet needed tutoring in math and science classes.
There's a huge difference between knowledge and intelligence. I believe intelligence is best measured by the capacity to reason and solve problems. Your friends can memorize sports statistics? Wonderful. That doesn't make them intelligent. On the other hand, this is a very controversial subject in which no single individual can be right. This is simply what I hold true.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Lest not forget that IQ tests are hugely varied on their score systems, and have never been conclusive proof of measurable intelligence.

whereswarren (King_Vegeta)
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
They are averages for states taking the same test. I don't see how you can just ignore obvious regional differences in the ability to answer x amount of questions correctly. Unless this thing is entirely fabricated (which seems a little far fetched) I'm going to take this for true, because I really don't see how it couldn't be.

And as for the test having no merit, it's still a bunch of questions based on simple patterns / basic mathematics and problem solving- and if you fail at that... well, you live in Mississippi, apparently.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think voting is worthless. I know Obama won't be a super mega cataclysmic change some people might think he is, but I thinking there was barely a difference between McCain and Obama seems very pessimistic in my opinion.

But the above posts are right. We shouldn't have to wait 4 years for our opinions to matter.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom