[Not Gameplay related] COLORS!

βœ”οΈ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
So, I've been wondering, this game has 9+ characters, in which the max number of players per server can be 32, It's obvious that there are characters that are gonna get selected by many people on the same server, so to make things interesting, how about giving 10+ color swaps to the characters, and when a player chooses a color, that specific colors gets a notice of how many people are using it so you know you have the option to stand out and make the fights more interesting, It also would help to disntiguish some players from anothers.

Also, I'm not talking like, modifiyng characters to make them stupid recolors (Af server, I'm looking at you), just changing the clothes or something like that, like Super DBZ did

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
So, I've been wondering, this game has 9+ characters, in which the max number of players per server can be 32, It's obvious that there are characters that are gonna get selected by many people on the same server, so to make things interesting, how about giving 10+ color swaps to the characters, and when a player chooses a color, that specific colors gets a notice of how many people are using it so you know you have the option to stand out and make the fights more interesting, It also would help to disntiguish some players from anothers.

Also, I'm not talking like, modifiyng characters to make them stupid recolors (Af server, I'm looking at you), just changing the clothes or something like that, like Super DBZ did
That was in the alpha, where Good/Evil teams had different clothes. Problem is that for the beta character models were scaled down to 1/4 of the size. So you cant really see a difference in clothes unless you are up in their face.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega, if all things are scaled then they are proportionally the same and thus visually identical to the previous state (which is why you c/would employ that development technique at all). You would never really see a difference in clothes unless you were up in their face either way.

All you need is a coloured circle with an ID on it - put your cursor over a player, displays the circle. voila! Just like the existing scouter except graphically updated. I remember Final already having such a target highlight at one point, albeit without a colour unique to each ID (which let's face it, is better to keep uniform for the sake of visiblility).

Freelance Mappzor
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega, if all things are scaled then they are proportionally the same and thus visually identical to the previous state (which is why you c/would employ that development technique at all). You would never really see a difference in clothes unless you were up in their face either way.

All you need is a coloured circle with an ID on it - put your cursor over a player, displays the circle. voila! Just like the existing scouter except graphically updated. I remember Final already having such a target highlight at one point, albeit without a colour unique to each ID (which let's face it, is better to keep uniform for the sake of visiblility).
Then ill select a black cyrcle and join a night map, or a white cyrcle and join a bright map.

As for the scale, its a difference in speed and distance. Things seem 4 times further away than they really are. And as such everything is harder to see ^^ Thats why 1.2 has those diamonds. They were necesary to see opponents more than half a swoop away ^^

Force Pit Member
Best answers
How about changing the auras and the swoop tail? And perhaps would it be possible that the player always has the default aura, where as others have different colours e.g in a free for all. And in a team deathmatch you could have red and blue. I understand that this will **** up the "authenticity" and feel of the game, however if it is for gameplay reasons then whatev. I suppose servers could set this up by themselves?

ANBU
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
And if you add tier aura colors into the equation...then yes it screws up things. But only editing swoop aura and trail(not other power-up auras), that should be ok.

NOT IN THE MANGAβ„’
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Then ill select a black cyrcle and join a night map, or a white cyrcle and join a bright map.

As for the scale, its a difference in speed and distance. Things seem 4 times further away than they really are. And as such everything is harder to see ^^ Thats why 1.2 has those diamonds. They were necesary to see opponents more than half a swoop away ^^
Silly that you wouldn't revert to 1/1 scale for ESF: Final.

Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers
Grega, that is precisely why I said keeping the colour the same made more sense. If we were going to adopt custom colours, I would think it logical to stick to pure RGB tones. But, like another conveniently ignored suggestion, just add a pixel border to the UI graphics ala sobel filter.

I think the biggest problem with scaled models is not visibility but collision detection. The relative perception of distance can be unintuitively drastic when coming up really close to a player. From a small distance you are appear perfectly aligned, but once you are close enough for contact you are misaligned, with no time to correct. I remember Final even having this problem at some points, ie where you could go straight for each other and miss by 2 pixels, sometimes I had to slightly jiggle my mouse to ensure a collision occurred. I liken it to trying to collide objects in space across galactic distances. Combine this with network latency, and your level of technique is moot.

ONTOPIC /
I see no reason to mess with the aesthetics of the aura FX, nor any reason for this suggestion. Dalte has done a lot of great work with the special FX, I'd rather not screw with it simply to accommodate a players fashionable narcissism. If personalisation is what you want, that's what the namefield, XML tools and custom servers are for.

Last edited:
Misanthropist
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
β˜… Black Lounger β˜…
βœ”οΈ HL Verified
πŸš‚ Steam Linked
πŸ’» Oldtimer
Best answers

Riiiiiiight. Totally relevant...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom