Nintendo's Revolution To The PS3 & Xbox 2

Best answers
IGNcube's Nintendo "Revolution" FAQ
Absolutely everything we currently know about the successor to Nintendo's GameCube home console.

June 10, 2004 - Nintendo's GameCube console is far from dead, but that hasn't stopped the company from announcing that it is underway with a next-generation successor, codenamed "Revolution." The system, still very much a mystery, has been given an appropriate codename if Nintendo is to be believed: the publisher says that the console will revolutionize the way people play games. No easy challenge, but if any company can do it, Nintendo can.

To help keep readers informed about any and all developments surrounding the Nintendo Revolution, IGNcube has created the end-all FAQ for the console. The following information represents everything we currently know about the machine.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Q: What is the Nintendo Revolution?

A: The official codename for the successor to GameCube.

Q: How long has the Revolution been in development?

A: Preliminary development on Revolution began shortly after the release of Nintendo GameCube.

Q: When was the Nintendo Revolution codename announced?

A:: On May 11, 2004 at Nintendo's pre-Electronics Entertainment Expo 2004 press conference, which took place in Los Angeles, California. (The console had been tentatively referred to as "GCNext" by the press before the unveiling of the official codename.)

Q: Who announced the codename Nintendo Revolution?

A: Nintendo president Satoru Iwata. On stage at Nintendo's pre-E3 2004 press conference, Iwata said:
"Different also defines our approach to our next home system. It won't simply be new or include new technologies. Better technology is good, but not enough. Today's consoles already offer fairly realistic expressions so simply beefing up the graphics will not let most of us see a difference. So what should a new machine do? Much more. An unprecedented gameplay experience. Something no other machine has delivered before.
"The definition for a new machine must be different. I want you to know that Nintendo is working on our next system and that system will create a gaming revolution. Internal development is underway.

"I could give you our technical specs, as I'd know you'd like that, but I won't for a simple reason: they really don't matter. The time when horsepower alone made all the difference is over.

"Work on Revolution is well underway. When you see it you will be excited because you will experience a gaming revolution."

Q: Will Revolution feature more powerful hardware than GameCube?

A: Yes.

Q: What are Revolution's technical specs?

A: Currently unknown.

Rumors abound indicated that Nintendo could separately be working on two systems and that ultimately one would be chosen for retail. System 1 allegedly featured a 2.7GHz PowerPC G5 processor, 512MBs of RAM, and a 600MHz graphics chip. System 2 allegedly featured dual 1.8GHz PowerPC G5 processors. 256MBS of DDR Main Memory RAM, 128MBS of GDDR3 Video RAM and a 500MHz graphics chip. Both systems allegedly featured a built in 15GB hard drive. As of this time, these rumors cannot be validated.

Q: How will Revolution be unique?

A: That is the big question. The console is codenamed Revolution for a reason: Nintendo expects it to be revolutionary. The system will, according to Nintendo, fundamentally change how games are played -- literally. Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said in recent interviews that the dual-screened Nintendo DS offers a hint of what to expect from Revolution. DS players can use a stylus pen to input control data into the portable device. It's very possible that Revolution may feature similar functionality.Nintendo believes that technology alone cannot advance videogames, which is why it plans to take Revolution into a dramatic new direction.
Iwata in June 2004 described Revolution as a videogame machine "of a different nature that does not follow the conventional path of new game systems that increase speed and visual quality for making elaborate games." He added: "The rule of satisfying customers by increasing specifications worked once, but no longer applies now."

Q: Will Revolution feature screens on the console or the controller?

A: No. At a June 2004 analyst briefing in Japan, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata said: We have no intention of making a two screen console akin to the [Nintendo] DS."

Q: Will Revolution hook up to a television?

A: Yes. It will also be able to interface with a computer monitor. In June 2004 Nintendo engineer Genyo Takeda said: "You'll be able to play [Revolution] not just by linking up to a television but to a computer monitor as well."

Q: Will Revolution go online?

A: Currently unknown. Nintendo continues to stress that it does not yet believe in an online gaming model from a business standpoint. However, the company at E3 2004 announced that its portable device Nintendo DS would be able to go online using 802.11b and 802.11g Wi-Fi wireless capabilities. The company may seek to offer a similar option for Revolution owners.

Q: Who are Nintendo's hardware partners on Revolution?

A: During the course of the last two years, several major hardware companies have been linked to Revolution including IBM, ATI, and NEC.

In December 2002 Bloomberg reported that Nintendo had agreed to collaborate with NEC on a system LSI that would serve as the core for the new console.

Just a few months later GameCube graphics chip maker ATI announced a vague "technology development agreement" for use in future "Nintendo products." Unconfirmed reports from insiders alleged that ATI had been in development with the graphics chip for Revolution well before that announcement.

And several unsubstantiated rumors have suggested that IBM will deliver a modified version of its PowerPC G5 processor for Revolution.

Q: When will Revolution be released?

A: "If you're asking for a specific date for our next system -- we don't have one. Nintendo is going to remain competitive and will launch around the same time as competitors… not later than," said Nintendo of America's vice president of corporate affairs in a May 2004 interview. This is the same line other Nintendo executives, including company president Satoru Iwata, have said for months.

Nintendo feels that its inability to bring GameCube to market before PlayStation 2 gave Sony an advantage that it could never overcome. For that reason, Nintendo will not launch Revolution after PlayStation 3.

Revolution will launch sometime in 2006.

Q: How much will Revolution cost?

A:: Currently unknown. But we feel confident that Nintendo will aim for a mass-market friendly price on the lower side of the spectrum.

Q: When will Nintendo reveal more about Revolution?

A: At the Electronics Entertainment Expo 2005, which begins May 2005 in Los Angeles.

Offical info By: www.ign.com

From what i read it seems promising, but could it really revolutionize the gaming industry and do you guys really think it was a smart idea for them to decide to bring it out before or on the same day as PS3 instead of after?!? What are you guys oppion on this :)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Seems pretty lame. Very vague..

"Nintendo president Satoru Iwata has said in recent interviews that the dual-screened Nintendo DS offers a hint of what to expect from Revolution. DS players can use a stylus pen to input control data into the portable device. It's very possible that Revolution may feature similar functionality.Nintendo believes that technology alone cannot advance videogames, which is why it plans to take Revolution into a dramatic new direction. "

And the garbage features in Nintendo's DS certainly don't impress me.. and since Nintendo is quite possibly going to lose the hand-held war against the PSP, I'm not exactly looking forward to "Nintendo's future," especially since the creators of Nintendo's best games (at least, for the N64) (by which I mean Rareware, creator of Conker's Bad Fur Day, Goldeneye, Donkey Kong country, etc) design games for X-Box now.

Best answers
This is plain and simple Nintendo sucks it always has always will. they have'nt been a good console maker since the 80s. yet there are still few of the die hards think they are gonna raise from the ashes in their formal glory.

It Never happen, in less then 10 years they will be gone OUT OF BUSINESS trust me on that. right now they have the sales on the handheld units that will last another 2-3 years tops .when sony comes with theirs and x- box follows with its handheld then it's over for the mighty 80s company. they make garbage products and garbage games, always have cept for a few like zelda for kids. and i really wish people would quit beleiving the garbage sales numbers there reading goto a reliable source not someone /company thats paid by the console makers.

Nintendo's past business practices are coming back to haunt them. Gouging the wallets of developers just to make games for them, the use of proprietary cart/cd technology so it can control the manufacturing process and thus charge developers still more fees, the arrogance of Miyamoto for designing controllers that work perfect for Mario/Zelda style games but crap for everything else, the kiddy imagein general and finally the retarded marketing practice started by Peter Main called "inventory managment".

Inventory management is the hyping of a product to end, building insane demand for a product, postponing the release date a several times to increase desire, and then releasing but as little bits at a time to cause shortages and maintain demand for the item. Remember Mario Bros 3? How about the SuperNes? Nintendo used this garbage constantly! Marketing is one thing, but Nintendo took it to an extreme and irritated alot of people. Developers and consumers alike remember these things. The great thing about this is that Nintendo isn't the only game in town these days and we don't have to take their crap anymore!

And then they have the nerve to blame other companys for anything just read this.

http://cube.ign.com/articles/522/522184p1.html?fromint=1

And i laugh at the comment they said about Grand Theft Auto at the end of that News Story in That Link i just posted. :laff: :rolleyes:

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I suppose you don't care for gaming nostalgics like myself, gameinformer :(

By the way, if I hear another "Nintendo sucks. They always have, they always will", I will kill this thread. The same goes for "Microsoft sucks" and "Sony sucks". Any evidence of a console war is reason enough for a thread closure...these have caused far too much trouble in the past, and this not, and I repeat, "THIS IS NOT" a forum where you try to force your ideas upon others. If a person is a Sony fan, let them be. If a person is a Nintendo fan, let them be. If a person is a Microsoft fan, let them be. Nothing gives anybody the right to tell others that they're interests are misplaced. For instance, Gameinformer, the way you presented your arguement suggests that you believe that Nintendo fans are fools. I am disappointed that you think so lowly of people for enjoying a facet of gaming, myself included. If this was not your intent, I apologize, but your tone suggests that you are trying to make a direct stab at any Nintendo fans that may be reading. This is not what should be implied in posts. Please watch that you are not forcing others to think like you - that's not required and it is not acceptible.

Remember this as the thread progresses - I will be watching.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't think Nintendo is going to go out of business. But upon the failure of their DS, and perhaps the 'Revolution,' they might just become a software only company like Sega--because people want more Mario and Zelda games.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i think its about time someones doing something besides just OMG THIS NEW ONE HAS A BAJILLION POLY LIMIT!! im sick of seeing the same stuff with better graphics

Pan

Best answers
Hibiki said:
i think its about time someones doing something besides just OMG THIS NEW ONE HAS A BAJILLION POLY LIMIT!! im sick of seeing the same stuff with better graphics

Yea i agree 100% With That Oppion

I think the Revolution Seems Promising from what iv'e read so far, but i do not agree at all with the fact that there releasing it before the PS3. They should do it after, that way they could get a glimps of everything the PS3 has to offer for its release, and then top it. Just because the gamecube didnt do so well during it release dosent mean that it had anything to do with the fact that PS2 was released before it. All Nintendo needs is the right gaming lineup during launch to sastify all fans instead of what people claim to be only kidy games.

I also think that Online gaming would be a great start for nintendo since they pretty much have the best exclusives and multi-player games in my oppion and could possibly dominate over the PS2 and Xbox Live Online Gaming. Im a fan of Nintendo and Pretty much always will be just like Sega.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo have one thing in common. They all want profits. Their stratigies may very but what it comes down to is us.

They will bicker and insult each other, competition (what it seems to be with this managing director) will bring out the worst and obviously the best in everyone. What this one guy sais does not mean that everyone else at Nintendo feels this way.

I think this whole "my next generation console is better" thing is just a publicity stunt. Your obviously thinking about how Nintendo plans to beat Microsoft and Sony now...

Business is business I Guess, this guy felt he was doing his job :/

----------------------------------------------------

As far as the Revolution?

I say... the more polys the merrier :D

Best answers
I Think the " Nintendo Revolution " will change the gaming industry. I've always had faith in nintendo and always will. I personally dont care for how much money either of the gaming company makes, or which one has the larger fanbase or any of that stuff. I mean its just video games, all i want is just something to play and have fun with. Nintendo pretty much gives me that which is why "Nintendo Gamecube" or Cubey is what i like to call it ^^ is my favorite gaming console.

Not only does nintendo make great games like zelda, metroid prime, and mario and stuff like that..but they also make HQ Products. I have all 3 consoles, i got them each on the first day that they were offically release in stores. Over the past 2 years, i had alot of problems with my "Playstation 2" and right now, the one thats sitting on my entertainment center is my 5th one that i bought on account of the PS2 having so much probelms for watever reason. My xbox has messed up quite abit as well im currently on my 3rd one.

But for my gamecube, the console that i play all the time, i have yet to have one single problem with the controller or the console whatsoever since i first bought it, it's been working to its fullest capabilities without any issues or anything which is why i think nintendo makes the best HQ Hardware & Software. The small disc barely even get scatched like the PS2 and Xbox ones.

I personally belive that all the talk about how PS2 and xbox has the dvd player and cd ripper or watever is all nothing but gimicks just to get in more sales. Nintendo dosent focous on all of that type of stuff which is another reason why i admire them. Its video games where talking about her people not VCDs or DVD. If i want all of that stuff, then ill go buy me a DVD player or an MP3 Player so its basically just useless added parts to increase there sales, but all 3 consoles are still great though that was just my oppion on everything.

Anyway Im looking fowards to what nintendo has instore for the future and i just pray that they dont get the same fate as sega did. And i guess Hworang was right, when it comes down to it, its all about profits.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I don't see why people are getting excited over something Nintendo CLAIMS is "Revolutionary."

Nintendo has, in the past, chosen to embrace old, obsolete technology for their machines like the N64's cartridges, and the Gamecube's minidiscs.

I'm sorry, but using inferior formats, justified by their paranoia of their games being pirated (which they still are, mind you) isn't a justification at all.
They chose cartridges over CD-ROMs, and they chose minidiscs over DVD-ROMs.
I don't think Nintendo knows what revolutionary is.

They strayed from the 'Assured Hit' formula that the Zelda and Mario games were on in the SNES and N64 days, and instead come out with what is quite frankly, garbage. The Celda and Sunshine games, geared towards toddlers more than ever.

Granted, Nintendo has indeed begun to try to make ammends by making a mature, dark Zelda game again rather then their horrible abortion of a game, Windwaker.

It seems Nintendo's run completely out of good ideas, are dropping some bad ideas and adding MORE bad ideas--like the "Dual Screen" system.

"Wee! Our games will have more replayability, because you'll be able to focus on the UPPER screen rather than the lower one, next time!" "P.S. Buy the game card e-reader. It's COOL!"

I used to love Nintendo. I even accepted their decision to make N64 technologically inferior in many ways to Playstation. But the Gamecube and DS have really just killed any hope I had for Nintendo.

But, I certainly hope I'm wrong. Maybe Nintendo will indeed come out with a 'Revolutionary' system which will change the market for the better. But looking at the D.S., and them saying the same "kinds of things" will be used.. I just don't really think we should expect much.

Best answers
im a nintendo fan and always have been since they hit the market. they have surprised me with the gamecube cause i thought when ps2 and dreamcast hit the shelves nintendo was done for with the n64 but they brought up the gamcube and kept it going. but the reason there bringing back the old games from nes is because the games are still fun! i can never get tired of the old donkey kong. and they have also taken on other console stars like sonic from sega for intance because sega systems died after the dreamcast. nintendo has always surprised me and im positive this new revolution console will pwn.

Best answers
I love Nintendo, but when it comes to there decision making I am almost always like WTF?

Best answers
SailorAlea said:
I don't see why people are getting excited over something Nintendo CLAIMS is "Revolutionary."

Nintendo has, in the past, chosen to embrace old, obsolete technology for their machines like the N64's cartridges, and the Gamecube's minidiscs.

I'm sorry, but using inferior formats, justified by their paranoia of their games being pirated (which they still are, mind you) isn't a justification at all.

They strayed from the 'Assured Hit' formula that the Zelda and Mario games were on in the SNES and N64 days, and instead come out with what is quite frankly, garbage. The Celda and Sunshine games, geared towards toddlers more than ever.

Granted, Nintendo has indeed begun to try to make ammends by making a mature, dark Zelda game again rather then their horrible abortion of a game, Windwaker.

It seems Nintendo's run completely out of good ideas, are dropping some bad ideas and adding MORE bad ideas--like the "Dual Screen" system.

"Wee! Our games will have more replayability, because you'll be able to focus on the UPPER screen rather than the lower one, next time!" "P.S. Buy the game card e-reader. It's COOL!"

I used to love Nintendo. I even accepted their decision to make N64 technologically inferior in many ways to Playstation. But the Gamecube and DS have really just killed any hope I had for Nintendo.

But, I certainly hope I'm wrong. Maybe Nintendo will indeed come out with a 'Revolutionary' system which will change the market for the better. But looking at the D.S., and them saying the same "kinds of things" will be used.. I just don't really think we should expect much.

I actually agree with that, and i pretty much wont get my hopes up because i usally end up dissapointed by nintendo. Also i dont think the DS is any good as well, hell it dosent even look better and the second screen is basically useless they dont even need it really but thats nintendo for ya i guess and thats my oppion. The revolution thingy is pretty big words coming from nintendo so for there sake they better deliever Hopefully this Revolution is as good as they claim it's gonna be.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, as Nintendo has only hinted at aspects of this "Revolution", I cannot pass judgement on the system. I do agree that the DS seems to have a few functions that are over-kill....a next-gen handheld akin to the PSP would have sufficed, I think.

However, I do have faith in their next console. As much as the PS2 outsold the GCN in Canada, it did do rather well in Japan, and besides that, I actuall enjoyed the GCN more than the PS2, overall, and I own both. I look forward to what both Sony and Nintendo are going to put forward, but I especially would like to see more develop on this "Revolution" project to get a good feel for what's coming. Nintendo has yet to disappoint me, personally, so I have faith that they may be able to pull this one off, yet.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Remember that when they hand you a controller that's just a big floating ball that you have to tap on the right panel to press a button.

Besides...I'm not sick of it. I like the system we have now--you got your controller, you got your high end visuals, you got your stylistic graphics from game to game, and you play. The better they can make it perform, the more huge worlds and immersion we can have in these things.

Not only does nintendo make great games like zelda, metroid prime, and mario and stuff like that..but they also make HQ Products. I have all 3 consoles, i got them each on the first day that they were offically release in stores. Over the past 2 years, i had alot of problems with my "Playstation 2" and right now, the one thats sitting on my entertainment center is my 5th one that i bought on account of the PS2 having so much probelms for watever reason. My xbox has messed up quite abit as well im currently on my 3rd one.

But for my gamecube, the console that i play all the time, i have yet to have one single problem with the controller or the console whatsoever since i first bought it, it's been working to its fullest capabilities without any issues or anything which is why i think nintendo makes the best HQ Hardware & Software. The small disc barely even get scatched like the PS2 and Xbox ones.
You can't really blame Sony and Microsoft because the machines don't play your scratched up discs, which is what you sort of implied here by mentioning it.

You know, it's funny, because Alea and I only have a 50% chance of not getting into a scuff with one another in a given thread. But I agree with him fully on this statement, and Sakura's as well.

I'll tell you exactly what this "revolution" is gonna be: some type of ****ed up new controller, and a weird shape and a weird game format. It'll have a screen on the memory card, probably. Bottom line, I think it'll be impressive on weirdness but in the end it'll be the same nintendo fodder.

I'm expecting the controller to be a magic ball, for crying out loud. :0\

Alea's right. They have made idiotic blind decision after idiotic blind decision. Example: The biggest problem with full-color back-lit handhelds is battery life...so what do they do? Add a SECOND touch sensitive screen? Duh.

Personally I've never owned a gamecube, and I won't own this Revolution thing either--on principle alone. I'm pretty positive that it's just going to be a lot like Gamecube--a lot of smoke and mirrors and a lot of fans oohing and ahhing.

Revolutionizing gaming is something that Nintendo is NOT capable of, in my eyes. A company that shuns online play "from a business standpoint" but claims to be ready to "revolutionize how we play games" in the same FAQ is just oxymoronic.

Best answers
SaiyanPrideXIX said:
Remember that when they hand you a controller that's just a big floating ball that you have to tap on the right panel to press a button.

Besides...I'm not sick of it. I like the system we have now--you got your controller, you got your high end visuals, you got your stylistic graphics from game to game, and you play. The better they can make it perform, the more huge worlds and immersion we can have in these things.

You can't really blame Sony and Microsoft because the machines don't play your scratched up discs, which is what you sort of implied here by mentioning it.

You know, it's funny, because Alea and I only have a 50% chance of not getting into a scuff with one another in a given thread. But I agree with him fully on this statement, and Sakura's as well.

I'll tell you exactly what this "revolution" is gonna be: some type of ****ed up new controller, and a weird shape and a weird game format. It'll have a screen on the memory card, probably. Bottom line, I think it'll be impressive on weirdness but in the end it'll be the same nintendo fodder.

I'm expecting the controller to be a magic ball, for crying out loud. :0\

Alea's right. They have made idiotic blind decision after idiotic blind decision. Example: The biggest problem with full-color back-lit handhelds is battery life...so what do they do? Add a SECOND touch sensitive screen? Duh.

Personally I've never owned a gamecube, and I won't own this Revolution thing either--on principle alone. I'm pretty positive that it's just going to be a lot like Gamecube--a lot of smoke and mirrors and a lot of fans oohing and ahhing.

Revolutionizing gaming is something that Nintendo is NOT capable of, in my eyes. A company that shuns online play "from a business standpoint" but claims to be ready to "revolutionize how we play games" in the same FAQ is just oxymoronic.
I would persoally state everything u just said as a fact in my mind since i agree but regardless i guess its just oppinated :(

I admire Nintendo for their creativity and their admiration for sticking to games that are more designed for the younger crowd. But it isn't helping much. Nintendo seems to be stuck in a cloud. Their games are starting to get repitive. Do I really want another Mario game where the only difference is he has a water gun??? The only games that keep me interested are Ikaruga and Zelda. And like Aramil stated, every game that was released for another system and gets transported to the Gamecube is either rushed or just sucks. I believe Nintendo should stop relying on its "characters/series" so much and focus on the changes of video gaming. Plust I'm getting tired of the Gameboy. It seems the only games Nintendo are releasing are just re-releases of old SNES classics. While that is good, there comes a time when it needs to stop. Like Super Mario Advance 4. All it is is the Super Mario AllStars version of Super Mario 3.
It is my strong opinion that Nintendo has outlasted their usefulness to this industry. The numbers, sales and dwindling attention towards Nintendo, which is failing rapidly, proves that point. Further more Nintendo’s lack of "change" has hurt them more then they would like to admit.

How much longer must Nintendo continue to rehash the same overused characters and series? Isn’t the point of continuing on to the next generation of videogame development is to come up with new and inspiring designs and concepts or at least re-invent a superior version of the old? By no means is this rehashing problem a Nintendo Exclusive concept, it is however Nintendo’s #1 Problem and it is true that the company who does it the most is Nintendo. At least Sega has managed to come up with new ideas for their software (successful or not), at least Electronic Arts has been doing more than Madden Rehashes lately. Nintendo has been trying to bring back DEAD Characters into games that become the next GameCube Savior, but fails to save it.

If they were so good, why do we have to get the crap that is Mario Sunshine? The Failure that is Luigi’s Mansion? The Lackluster Wave Race: BS? The highly disappointing Pikmin? And to think that Pikmin and Animal Crossing is about as original as Nintendo was able to get this Generation. You do not need a whole new game console for these games, they would have performed and played the same on the N64.

If Nintendo was good, why are they contracting out their work to other companies? Rare and Namco doing Starfox, Sega doing Fzero and Capcom doing a Zelda. What happened here? With Nintendo only able to produce games like Animal Crossing and Pokemon as of late, are you telling me they weren’t able to muster enough "talent" to update their own games, themselves?

3rd parties are starting to see that the GameCube in and of itself as no longer a viable console, including gamers and even by most of the mass media. Nintendo has been talking a lot about their next Console, which further proves their lack of confidence in their latest failure. Their desperation to become a "contender" next generation has forced them to make this move in killing off their old console and roll out the new one as soon as possible. What little do they know it’s not the console that has made itself the failure, but Nintendo’s lack of "relevance" to this industry, their software that had made GameCube the failure it is.

And now Nintendo’s Gimmicks aren’t making anything better for them.

GBA SP connectivity to GameCube, for what? To unlock a new stage? To use the GBA Screen for little flashy icons? What’s the point? They’re going to be making games that REQUIRE you to use this feature, forcing you to buy a GBA SP for specific functions. Why? Companies should give you these features from the damned game itself without having to spend another $100 on a piece of hardware to open up the Secret Stage on level 2. Nintendo’s desperation has forced them to do this, to make up the millions of dollars they have lost from MS and Sony’s competition.

Then you have the GBA Player for GameCube. What is the damned point of this now? Nintendo spending money and time making a GBA Player for GameCube when they should have been using that same effort to create games for GameCube that actually have some form of "fun" and "play" in them for a change. Isn’t the point of playing GBA Games on the go is because the unit was in fact advertised as Portable Gaming? Why in the hell kill of the SNES if they’re going to be bringing back sprite based games to the TV Screen anyway? Where is the logic in this? Simply put this is once again another desperation move from Nintendo to milk something they have just to make another quick buck.

Nintendo used to be good, they were the shiznit back when home console gaming was still a new and mysterious concept. Now, Nintendo is nothing more than nostalgia discussion, a memory to its fans trying to keep the dream alive. Think about it. The ONLY People ranting and raving about Nintendo games, are the last of the few Nintendo fanboys still around which is decreasing massively every new generation. Most of them moved onto something better, with superior offerings from Sony’s and Microsoft’s Console.

The Industry has changed, gamers have changed, Nintendo’s biggest change only happened during the N64 where they moved from 2D to 3D and even then they didn’t do that gracefully. Nintendo is "creatively bankrupt", nothing they have done since the days of the 8-Bit console has inspired anything major to this point. And now for the 2nd generation in a row, Nintendo is getting it’s a** kicked by the new comer into this industry. First by Sony and now by Microsoft. What made these 2 companies go far and beyond what Nintendo could do these days? Games. Games that appealed to their audience, games that appealed to even other audiences. Games that Nintendo is now proving to be incapable of creating with it’s own resources.

Nintendo has proven in the past they were good, but they have done nothing since their past to make that a true statement for this generation. Nintendo’s golden egg was Miyamoto. And in the end it will be Miyamoto and his obsolete game designs that will kill Nintendo unless they start investing into clues about how and what good games should be like.

So far the gaming revolution dosent impress me whatsoever, hopefully nintendo will revolutionize the gaming industry :) But i personally dont think a company like that who hangs on to a console for 5 to 6 years knowing that it didnt do so well could revolutinize anything. (and sorry if watever i sad offended any nintendo fans on the fourm ill try and go back over everything and edit anything drastic that ive said :] )

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I believe that I agree with some of your points, Legend. Nintendo DOES need to embrace some new concetps, but I am one of those nostalgics you mentioned that likes to see the old stuff. I am, in no way, trying to clutch onto an old game. I just feel that stuff made in the late 80's/early 90's is, quite possibly, better than most of the stuff I own that was made in the last 3-4 years...but that's just me.

However, I think that what makes Sony and Microsoft so much of a competitor (and Nintendo really needs to grasp onto this) is the amazing third-party titles. Nintendo, itself, does make some neat first-party creations (such as the upcoming Legend of Zelda title). I can honestly say that I haven't enjoyed many of Microsoft or Sony's "original" creations. IMO, there is already enough Mechwarrior out there (sorry Microsoft, but you lost me after MicroProse stopped at Mechwarrior 3 :(). If Nintendo were to get a hold of some of this third party support, I feel that there'd be much more in stock. For instance, the prospect of Resident Evil 4 amazes me. I've heard people who have hated the RE series in the past wanting to get a hold of this title. Now, RE is a Capcom creation, correct me if I'm wrong, and Capcom does make a fair bit for the GCN.

What I am basically getting at is that I hope that this "revolution" offers as much flexibility and opportunity to the third party developers as the PS2 did. I didn't buy PS2 because I wanted it's flagship games, like SOCOM US Navy Seals...I personally think I've had it with team-based anti-terrorism games (thanks a lot, Counter-Strike :\). I bought PS2 for the variety presented by the palette of third-party developers - PS2 was easy to develop for. I hope the same out of the "Revolution"....perhaps that would lift the image of this project a bit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
"Nintendo" and "flexibility" don't go together, man. They need too much of the profits to use third party ANYTHING.

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I sold my first ps2 cause it died on me. I bought a GC and was completely satisfied with it. I have like 8 games for it and i love all of them. I bought another ps2, but only for FFX-2 and MGS3. Nintendo did just fine with the GC and have complete faith in their future. Besides originality is all that video games need now.

Best answers
suicidal_maniac said:
I sold my first ps2 cause it died on me. I bought a GC and was completely satisfied with it. I have like 8 games for it and i love all of them. I bought another ps2, but only for FFX-2 and MGS3. Nintendo did just fine with the GC and have complete faith in their future. Besides originality is all that video games need now.
Same here..nearly exactly the same..my PS2 died on me as well. And i already had an gamecube and have morel like 14 games for it and i too am sastified with my gamecube so i sure have faith in nintendo as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom