New Video Card Problem

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey i smashed my old video car din an unfortunate computer accident and had to get a replacement

Grabbed a cheapo geforce 6200 oc and installed it.

When I try to plug my monitor into the slot on the video card after the windows loading screen the screen just goes black.

It works normally when i plug it into the normal monitor slot on the back of the tower.

Anyone have any suggestions?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
sounds strange that it happens at that point, but it also points to a driver issue. if i remember rightly they are loaded during windows startup (would need cuc or someone else to confirm though...)

it's very possible that whatever you did to your old card, affected the AGP/PCI slot too. but if that were the case, you would have problems from boot...

try uninstalling all graphics drivers, and reinstalling them with it plugged into the tower. then switching to the gpu output? or even try booting into windows using the tower output, and then moving it to the gpu output after it's all loaded?

~Gurbir~
🌈 Beta Tester
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
It works normally when i plug it into the normal monitor slot on the back of the tower.
By this I assume your motherboard has on-board video, right?
If so check your bios and make sure that that the display is set to agp.

if there is the option to disable on-board video, disable it.

Also which side did you plug the monitor into the video card? If you look from the back, is it the left header or right. It should be the one on the right side, if its plugged into the left side, it would be set as the secondary monitor but you should still be able to see the desktop just with no icons. This is probably not the case but doesn't hurt to check.

have you tried safe mode? what happens?

also you could try is to reset the resolution, by going into safe mode or VGA mode set it to 800x600, restart back into normal mode and set to the resolution you want.

Last edited:
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
disabling the old driver seemed to solve the problem.
I should have thought of that, thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom