New to the Boards, and Questions

Best answers
Hey all!
I'm new to these boards, so I'm going to let you guys know a little about myself before I ask my questions.
I'm 18, already have a dedicated stand alone CS Server with AMXX up most of the day using 3000 kpbs down, 768 *usual adsl*
I program in both .Net and Python (I'm learning a bit more on the latter) and I have some experience with C.

So here are my questions:
- I have a standalone dedicated ESF Server running...but with no mods. What would be the best way to go? I'm saying this because I don't know the majority of ESF players or what their tastes are in a server. I'd like to tailor a server to the majority of ESF players because I can run a server with 16 people with low latency.

- Anyone know how to deal with the latency spikes? I run westcoast, and usually everyone who connects gets about 60 - 90 ping. However, there will be that one time when someone will come in and the ping for the majority of the people rises up to around 250 on spikes. This leads me to believe that it's a malicious attacker, but I'm not sure. I've tried tracerouting various people, but nothing is coming from it. I have the rates set for 8500 3000, high low respectively, and it can be set by a console command I set up to go up and down as needed (i.e. I see that there are many fast people on the server, so I raise it to 10000 4000). I have tried most commands, and it only seems like kicking the suspected malicious player fixes it. Is there anyway to protect against this? I already have blocked ping requests, so the ping-death situation has been eliminated...

Anyway, those are my questions, and any feedback would be appreciated!
-hXn- Clan Administrator.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Newbs like EVM.

Pro's Like ESF.

Depends on what you like. I heard people with EVM can play on both EVM servers AND ESF servers. but I'm not sure. Since it's a west coast server. I suggest leave it at ESF.

As for your spikes. www.esf-world.com If you go there, there is performance tips and the correct cvars for your server. Just so you know. The more people in the server the more spikes. How many people do you allow? I would suggest no more then 8-12 people. Also, If everyone in the server has say 50-60ish ping. People with wicked high pings like 250 n such, raises everyone elses ping as well. So seeing as you have AMX Mod X, get a high ping kicker.

::EDIT::

AND WELCOME TO THE ESF BOARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom