New person; old questions

Best answers
Hey, I'm entirely new to this scene here, so if I may, I'd just like to ask a few questions that have still be confusing after I read a few threads.

1. There is no alternate way to play ESF online other than Steam? If there is, how do I go about it?
2. Which version will I need of Half Life 1? Is there a specific version, or just simply the latest?
3. What is the most popular version played? I keep reading 1.2.2 and 1.2.3 and I'm getting confused.
4. What is this EMV I've been hearing about? Are there more players than ESF?
5. Does Steam have the capabilities of searching for ESF/EMV servers, or must they be input manually?

So, basically, all I do is install Steam + Half life + ESF v 1.2.2/3? and I will be able to play? THanks for the time.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
1. I have no clue on what you mean
2. 1.1.1.0 which can be downloaded at www.planethalflife.com
3. 1.2.3 which is the latest version
4. EVM was an add-on feature for ESF, but with the new model animations, it was made obsolete
5. Steam can only search for ESF servers, whether they are EVM or plain ESF is the server's protocol

Zero_ said:
So, basically, all I do is install Steam + Half life + ESF v 1.2.2/3? and I will be able to play? THanks for the time.
Yes, but do it in this order.

1. Install Half-Life, then update it to 1.1.1.0 at www.planethalflife.com
2. Insteal Steam and convert Half-Life 1.1.1.0 to it
3. Install ESF 1.2.3, it should automatically install to Steam/Half-Life
4. Load Steam, and ESF should be under third party games.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You do not need 1.1.1.0, I was able to convert to steam from 1.1.0.6.
It will result in longer DL times, but then, you'll get it either way.

1) The only other way to play ESF online was WON, the old HL server system, but it has been pulled down, and we do not support WON since ESF 1.2. You can only play ESF on steam if you want to play online. Most reports of WON/1.1.1.0 HL.EXE with ESF show high instability and alot of bugs.

2) You will need HL fully updated in steam to play a supported install of ESF.

3) 1.2.3 has more maps than 1.2.2, but either version will work with the other.

4) EVM (evolution mod for ESF) is a server side modification via Meta Mod. You can only play EVM on EVM servers. I believe you must download and install their models to play. I am not sure about their current status, though I believe they intend to make it work again. (Which will be broken with ESF 1.3 again.) EVM has some servers up, though you may have to install older versions of ESF to play it.

5) Nothing to add to Synth's post.

Welcome aboard.

Best answers
Oh ok, thanks for the replies. I actually installed HL 1.0.0.9 and then installed Steam and it doesn't detect it, guess I need 1.1.1.0/1.1.0.6. Thanks.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
nah you just register the CD-key with STEAM and you can download HL throo STEAM

Best answers
On my 56k? No way... :p
Ok, so now I've got Half Life 1.1.1.0 and the Steam Downloader off steampowered.com. I've installed it but it doesn't detect that I have Half Life. How do I convert Half Life 1.1.1.0 to steam?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
there actaully is an alternitave to steam other then won , Esai , and if patched up & with a few server tools , uv'e got urself a web server

esai is legal as far as we know , i made a thread on esai not so long ago

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Go to the 'Play Games' menu. You should see Half-Life under the 'My Games' menu. Right Click, and it should have the option to install.

Now, you minimize Steam, and right click on the Steam logo in your desktop's taskbar.

You should see an option called Monitor. Click it. Half-Life should have an option or already be updating.

Until it sais that Half-Life is 100% I suggest that you wait.

Best answers
or if you get half life 2(bronze silver or gold) then it already comes with half life through steam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom