New form of attack: Beam spreads (*drools*)

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Sounds delicious right? Well I looked around and hadn't seen such an idea brought up yet, so here it is. Hows about the ability to increase the blast radius of your beam attacks as done in the series with various signature moves. For instance, rather than fire a kamehameha as a narrow focused/aimable projectile, hows about the option to alt-fire it as a wider torrent of energy. (Such as goku's first kamehameha against General Blue of the R.R. Army/ or Vegeta's Final Flash against perfect cell; and my favorite, Goku's kamehameha against Cooler) Now rather than have the beam explode upon contact with a target, they would simply continue to suffer damage for every second they remain in it's path.

Of'course there have to be penalties, such as not allowing the beam to arc or turn after firing it. It could cost slightly more ki to sustain the beam spread compared to the regular beam. Or it could drain stamina as well as ki? I'm not sure. Though it would had a whole new dynamic to close and far ranged combat. Players caught in a beam spread would suffer massive damage while not blocking, causing them to get pushed away while have their movement speed reduced. Beam-struggles with these colossal energy waves could have a massive blow back, or play out like when Gohan dueled Cell, where the winner's beam entirely engulfs and vaporizes the enemy caught in it.

I'd imagine implementing such a concept into the game may not be too difficult, just increase the size of the beam effect say by 9x or so and strip it of it's turning ability. I always loved these kind of attacks in the series, and they were always there! I think something like this could give players who prefer ranged combat a bit more flexibility, and in tight spots a much needed boon against skilled melee combatants.

And here is Goku for a live demonstration.

[video=youtube;3TuiiWK1J4E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=3TuiiWK1J4E#t=84s[/video]

All right belong to their respective owners.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
๐Ÿ‘ฎ Moderator
โ˜… Black Lounger โ˜…
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
I feel like it was mentioned that there would be something like this when using the Tiered Burst/Bonus moves. Not sure though.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
So far it's only been stated that the combo system will only apply to melee moves. It would be neat if they did it with the ki attacks some how. I'm really hoping this makes it in. I want the real Final Flash, not some sluggish yellow snake >,,<

Wannabe Beta Tester
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Yeah, I also heard bonus was only melee, is that true? Can a dev member confirm?

Lost in space
Banned
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Yeah, it has been suggested before and we've already been shown a teaser video of Trunks using a spread like attack in one of his special combo's. I don't think it'll work as a stand-alone attack in this game, but it's already being implemented in some way, I believe.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
We can make the tier attacks look like anything.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
We also have been experimenting with those "ki wavw" attacks as we call them. I believe one is even in the open beta. Thing is I'm not sure how to balance them.they are a bit op in regards ti waiting till someone swoops at you and shooting it when they are close. Though I guess making you unable to move would be a good way to do so to avoid the run with charge abuse. Otherwise I really loved our test of the system.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Sounds good Grega, the more variety in skillsets and movement leads to some complex gameplay! :) I had no idea you were working on something like that.

Badassologist Ph/D
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŽˆ Advanced
Best answers
yeah a shotgun blast type of beam or way to fire your beam! Think unreal tournament 3 when using the rocket launcher! hold down the mouse button to charge the beam to max and while its charging press the other mouse button to change the way the beam will fire when released. :yes:

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
We also have been experimenting with those "ki wavw" attacks as we call them. I believe one is even in the open beta. Thing is I'm not sure how to balance them.they are a bit op in regards ti waiting till someone swoops at you and shooting it when they are close. Though I guess making you unable to move would be a good way to do so to avoid the run with charge abuse. Otherwise I really loved our test of the system.
If I might make a suggestion: in addition to immobility why not give it some easily recognizable charge effect. Really If it was a wide cone in-front of the player I don't see it being OP, as any melee opponent could swoop in just close enough and easily teleport out of view. Such an attack would have weaknesses, but encourage a change of pace to players who just prefer to melee all the time.

It's only a short ranged burst of energy, and players waiting for someone to get close enough for it to be effective are left vulnerable to long ranged attacks.

PS: I've gone through everyone in Open Beta but noone has an attack like that, (least you mean trunk's no-damage fire flair thing)

--- edit ---

Oh but I do still wonder. Would a larger un-aimable beam be possible at all, like I described in my first post?

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
Well the way our beams work is like the HL rocet launcher, while the ki wave is more like a cone of energy instantly fired. Our test was semi effective though. And that flamethrower trunks had was totally op. It didn't really deal damage, but it pushed you back. Hitting someone on the ground restlted in death due to collision damage of being constantly smashed down XD

In any case as far as I recall an open beeta had a ki wave khh on goku.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Ah.. yeah that would be a nasty spot to be stuck in, all I want is some kind of attack that might help keep those persistent melee fighters at a distance, at least for a moment. I love the melee combat, but I detest using it as my only form of attack like allot of players. Mixing it up and making combat less predictable is what makes the game entertaining.

What if, like in the show or manga, you could fire an attack (Kamehameha, final flash, ect) at point blank range and take no damage yourself from it, but the person hit takes quite a bit? Many times in the series has someone gotten off a move in this manner, and the one who fires it seems to take no damage at all, actually, in some cases, even the ground right under their feet was completely unscarred.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
We have beam gibbing. If the beam would kill the target, it gibs them like a disc, and continues on. We also have something to change the pace pf the fights a bit.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
Oh really?! Well that's just awesome! Such details are exceptional! That'll be sure to keep things interesting! I do APPROVE!! I'm guessing it's possible to gib multiple persons then? Or is there like a power reduction after it hits the first target? Ehehe, I'm trying not to ask TOO many questions, but is it still only the beam head that hurts you, or would making contact with any portion of the beam do damage? Like a laserbeam "PEW PEW!"

Honestly I just cant wait to see all of these effects in action, this game is already tantalizing to look at, y'all are doing wonderful!

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
Best answers
Being able to gib would require the attacker to have substantially bigger power level.

Freelance Mappzor
โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐Ÿ’ป Oldtimer
Best answers
No power reduction as far as I know, and the same rules apply to anyone that is hit. This was already in the open beta. And only beam heads hurt, otherwhise you are risking performance degrading with the length of the beam incrrasing.

Lexis being ble to kill the target is enough. If the target wouldn't have died, then the beam explodes normally.

โœ”๏ธ HL Verified
๐Ÿš‚ Steam Linked
๐ŸŒŸ Senior Member
Best answers
I got'cha, thanks allot for the info Grega, ye put my mind at ease.. FOR NOW :devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom