New ATI cards still not supporting HDCP?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
PCStats said:
ATI's Little (Big) Slip Up

There is no support for HDCP (High bandwidth Digital Content Protection) with the Radeon X1900XTX. With ATi incorporating H.264 decoding and transcoding into the graphics core, without HDCP support it is basically a wasted feature.

ATi does state this on its website about HDCP "This feature is supported by the ASIC and can be specified by PC manufacturers for its add-in-boards. This feature is not typically enabled on stand alone cards."

While this might not be much of a concern right now, when Windows Vista and high definition movies are released later in the year, consumers who forked out a ton of money to buy a Radeon X1900 XTX videocard may be out of luck.
http://www.pcstats.com/ArtVNL.cfm?articleid=1932&page=3

Am I the only one who finds this really, really stupid? With all the fuss over HDCP and DRM, and the impending doom/blessing of HD content i'd have thought ATI would be all over supporting it. If Vista is a year away (or less) then who in their right mind would buy a £350/$600 card that doesn't support HD?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow, that sucks. I was going to go and buy the 1900XTX when i had the money but now I don't think I will. I guess I will havwe to wait for ati to come out with a new card soon. They always do.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Vista does not require an HDCP-compliant card. Only if you want to play Bluray or HD-DVD protected material at full resolution.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What's stupid isn't card manufaturers scrambling to make due, it's the movie studios cramming DRM down everyones throat in a half assed manner. Sure you can have HDCP compliant cards, but until the movie studios and intel finalize the hardware keys, the technology is useless.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I was under the impression that we would need new DX10 compliant cards for Vista...

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
I was under the impression that we would need new DX10 compliant cards for Vista...
Cards that support dx9 functions will be able to run vista's aero glass.

Best answers
I for one don't see why everyone is going nuts over HD. You mean I have to purchase 1000's of dollars of all new equipment so stuff looks better! Where do I sign up?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom