Need opinions on something....

Best answers
Well i was thinking today, it would be nice to earn a little extra dough here and there so i got an idea. I was thinking i could open up a small anime shop online and sell anime fansubs on DVD. The customer would fill out a form and tell us what anime they want (and i would check to make sure its not licensed by any US company) and if its not licensed i would download and burn the DIVX files onto a DVD thus saving CD-R's and have less discs to lose for a series. I would charge $1 an episode and if they want a dvd case with a printed out cover, an extra dollar would be be added to the total amount. for example lets say someone wants me to burn them ALL of naruto (89 episodes today) then it would $89 and for cases, it would roughly be 5 or 6 dvd cases because about 16-20 episodes fit on a DVD and that would make their total cost $94. Yes this would be legal because i would only burn anime not licensed here in the US and its legal (here is the proof http://experts.about.com/q/3261/3409607.htm ) and those anime fansubs that say do not sell our subs, i would not consider this selling their subs it would just be me offering to burn the subs for someone onto a dvd (for those who might be on 56K, dont want to take the time to download, etc..) for a reasonable price since the DVD media i get is pretty expensive (its like $45 for a pack of 25!) so any ideas if you guys think this idea would sink or be good to offer to the anime fans?

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wee! Not only is that unethical, but it's also illegal.

Notice how many fansubbers put "NOT FOR RESALE OR RENT" on their work? That's because they don't want people TAKING ADVANTAGE of their free translations, and to prevent people from, you know, scamming other people, like selling fansubs of DragonBallz as authentic 50$+ DVDs on E-Bay.

Regardless of whether it's licensed in the USA or not, it's copyrighted in Japan, meaning you're breaking International Copyright, and worse then that--you're doing it for your own profit.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SailorAlea said:
Wee! Not only is that unethical, but it's also illegal.

Notice how many fansubbers put "NOT FOR RESALE OR RENT" on their work? That's because they don't want people TAKING ADVANTAGE of their free translations, and to prevent people from, you know, scamming other people, like selling fansubs of DragonBallz as authentic 50$+ DVDs on E-Bay.

Regardless of whether it's licensed in the USA or not, it's copyrighted in Japan, meaning you're breaking International Copyright, and worse then that--you're doing it for your own profit.
ditto

as they say

buhleted!

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom