n00b question

Best answers
I just downloaded ESF a few minutes ago and when I installed it i went to look for the EXE file or any file to start the mod but I cant find one... I looked everywhere through all the esf folders but i cant find it.... where is it supposed to be located?

Thanks,
---
- Flamehead

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Since ESF is a Half-Life modification, it runs through the hl.exe file in your Half-Life directory.
Run Half-Life, select Custom Game, and in that list should be Earths Special Forces Beta 1.0.
Thats the game! Click Activate to load it.
I can show you how to make a shortcut to ESF itself once you get this down.

Best answers
ok how do i make a shortcut onto the desktop... im getting tired of opening Half-life and through the rest of the process:rolleyes:

'nother n00b question though... how do i change to the characters 2nd form?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
To reach your character's second form, you have to ascend. To ascend, your character needs to meet their PL requirement. (For each character it is different, but for an example, Vegeta's is 2 million.)
Once you meet the PL requirement, simply press the z key. (default) Most questions regarding the gameplay can be answered with the ESF Manual. It is a .swf file located in your ESF directory. Open it in Internet Explorer if it doesn't open with that to begin with.

Now, to make a shortcut. This might sound confusing, but it's really simple.
You have a shortcut to Half-Life, the hl.exe file, right? If not, make one and put it on your desktop. Now right click on that shortcut, and select Properties. A dialog box will appear. Select the Shortcut tab on the top of the dialog.
In this window, there will be a few text boxes, the only one of concern this time is the one named Target.
In here, the pathname of your hl.exe file is listed. Place your cursor at the end of the pathname. Hit space, and type -game esf, this loads ESF everytime you click on this shortcut. You will probably also want/need access to the Half-Life console. So at the end of your pathname, space again and type -console. This enables the tilde (~) key to load the console whenever it is pressed. (This should work in enabling the console, but may not. If it doesn't don't worry there's another way.)
So just for an example, your shortcut's Target box should look like this, but only if you installed to the default directory, as I did.

C:\Sierra\Half-Life\hl.exe -game esf -console

If you want, copy and paste this text into your Target text box, just change the path of the hl.exe file if yours is located in a different area on your hard drive.

Got all that? The shortcut will now load Half-Life, then immediately load ESF, so you don't have to.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Flamehead
'nother n00b question though... how do i change to the characters 2nd form?
when fighting watch the CT bar until its full. Then press Z to 'ascend' and X if you wish to 'descend.'

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
Also make sure when you transform, you are not in turbo, otherwise you will not transform.o_o

Best answers
Ok, for creating the shortcut im suprised i didnt already think of it as it is too easy, but my game crashes when i try Goku's Spirit Bomb and Ascending is there something that will help me not make it crash? the Eternal Dragon appears fine, im suprised he wouldnt crash my game also.

Best answers
Just always remember with any CS- Mod that you must run it from hl.exe, or cs's exe. Just as long as you have one of those your free to use them all you want. I use mine through a retail version of CS. Hope that helps man good luck!

Best answers
you should read the whole thread before posting :smile: ;/

[EDIT]: I no longer need help with any of the questions prior to this post, Thank you.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Flamehead
Ok, for creating the shortcut im suprised i didnt already think of it as it is too easy, but my game crashes when i try Goku's Spirit Bomb and Ascending is there something that will help me not make it crash? the Eternal Dragon appears fine, im suprised he wouldnt crash my game also.
Thats because you're running Software for your video mode.
From the Half-Life menu, go change your video mode to either OpenGL or Direct3D. (OpenGL is best, but may not be compatible with your video card.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom