More Akira Toriyama's work that has been turned into animated series?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hi guys, so I just finished watching ALL of the DBZ episodes, first time in 8 years,
and I got really sad when it ended, i know theres still GT, but i will most probably fast foward it leaving only a couple of good parts.

So my question ( i googled but its very unclear) is there more anime, that was based on somesorta manga of Akira Toriyama?

Im searching for it because maybe... maybe he has done more of there "jewels" that have been made into a series but never became as popular as DBZ.

THANKS !

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
His Dr. Slump was turned into a 400 episode television series, which was pretty successful.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hi guys, so I just finished watching ALL of the DBZ episodes, first time in 8 years,
and I got really sad when it ended, i know theres still GT, but i will most probably fast foward it leaving only a couple of good parts.

So my question ( i googled but its very unclear) is there more anime, that was based on somesorta manga of Akira Toriyama?

Im searching for it because maybe... maybe he has done more of there "jewels" that have been made into a series but never became as popular as DBZ.

THANKS !
He has written a few more manga after Dbz but they haven't been turned into anime as far as i know. So if you want to read, we could suggest a few.

Edit: How could i forget. He has also directed Blue Dragon. Its art style is very much like Dbz, so you can give it a try.

Other wise there some other really good animes as well. Here are a couple of my favs, One Piece, Naruto followed by Naruto Shippudden, Code Geuss, Yu Yu Hakusho. You could try Bleach as well although i haven't really gotten as interested into it as others.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I hate people like you, your *****ing around with replyes like that.
Time lines, episode count, and some dumb a** rating from some web-site means nothing to me, is it that hard to understand that im asking for peoples personal experiences with this anime? What can they recomend, what have they heard and so on.

Sorry, Im just abit down atm, I cant help it -_- I mean, i just finished, FINISHED watching dbz... :-/

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You asked for more anime based on Akira's manga. That Google search gave you exactly that, third website on that Google list, lists several animes based on his manga.

Don't shoot the messenger!

Edit: On a sidenote. You are down because you finished watching DBZ? Well, no offense, but there are a million better animes out there. There's not a whole lot to be down about.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I do agree that's there better stuff out there than DBZ. I haven't seen much other stuff from him. Considering Arale's pretty funny, I guess your best bet is Dr Slump.

If not, GT's not very good, he had very little to do with it. Although if you want some more retro shounen, Saint Seiya's something you may like. Although it does take a few episodes to get into it.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Here are a couple of my favs, One Piece, Naruto followed by Naruto Shippudden, Code Geuss, Yu Yu Hakusho.
GO GO GO.

Edit: I watched both seasons two days ago. Seriously good, srs.

Last edited:
Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GO GO GO.

Edit: I watched both seasons two days ago. Seriously good, srs.
Indeed. Its not the type of anime i usually watched, heck its technically hard to like the lead character. But dang that was some awesome anime. Loved it.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
I know that feeling man. When DBGT ended (series sux but ending was awesome, more emonional than DBZ ending) I cried like a baby. When I watched it for 2nd time I cried again.

But there are alot better animes than DBZ. I highly recommended you One Piece. Story is different but when you go deep into it you will notice it was very DB influenced (much more than Naruto which is more about fights & monsters (lately) & less about humor). If you loved orginal Dragon Ball series you will love OP. They share seyiuus (main hero is Krillin, there is Piccolo, Trunks, & even Goku seiyuu at some point) but of course if you watched dub it won't matter sadly.

Author of OP is huge Toriyama fan, they did short one shot together when DBZ & OP heroes meet. It was hilarous. OP share same craziness & jokes style. As series progresses battle are also more DBZ like + main hero is alot like Goku (yet he's very different at the same time). So go get it.

As for Code Geass it is brilliant anime but if guy is attached to DBZ he most likely want watch something similar. Code Geass is great but it's nothing like DBZ. It's completely different thing about politics, totalitarizm & stuff, not to mention giant robots, which is not's everybody's fan, well atleast I'm not.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes.

Naruto, Bleach, and One Piece should satisfy your Dragonball needs.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
If you are looking DBZ type(shounen) stuff, then Psyren, Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, Fairy Tail, D. Gray Man, Katekyo Hitman Reborn.

Otherwise,
Death Note, CODE MOTHERFREAKIN GEASS, Kara No Kyoukai(3rd movie has explicit stuff :V), Kuro****suji I and II, TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN, SENGOKU BASARA, DARKER THAN BLACK.

That's all i can think of ATM, have fun!

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Edit: On a sidenote. You are down because you finished watching DBZ? Well, no offense, but there are a million better animes out there. There's not a whole lot to be down about.
Sure there might be better anime than Dragon Ball but for us fans, it is the best piece of work ever made. Dragon Ball was the first manga i've ever read and to me will always remain the best, there's just something to it. No matter how much better the stories and character development are in the current shounen series, for some of us "dedicated" fans DB will always be "better".

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
While DBZ was pretty much the first anime I watched as well, and I loved it when watching it. As soon as it ended, I quickly found out there were many, many better animes out there. Neon Genesis Evangelion (though admittedly, it is a confusing story), Beserk, Naruto (minus the fillers), Bleach (minus the fillers), Full Metal Alchemist (one of the best anime around, both series), Claymore, Full Metal Panic (humor + mechs, all series, not related to Full Metal Alchemist by the way), Fate/Stay Night, Deathnote. These are animes I watched myself, and loved way more than DBZ. Some also like One Piece, I couldn't get into it personally. Cowboy Bebop is loved amongst many, Trigun is as well.

Even though I am not a fan of all anime, and I haven't watched a lot of them, especially the more popular ones. I know there are many animes that are better than DBZ. Seriously, when I watch back on the DBZ time, I see it only as a mediocre anime in general, having only a few good pieces. It's just not nearly as diverse as many other animes, and the characters are just not...touching. They could have done way more with the background of the characters.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
While DBZ was pretty much the first anime I watched as well, and I loved it when watching it. As soon as it ended, I quickly found out there were many, many better animes out there. Neon Genesis Evangelion (though admittedly, it is a confusing story), Beserk, Naruto (minus the fillers), Bleach (minus the fillers), Full Metal Alchemist (one of the best anime around, both series), Claymore, Full Metal Panic (humor + mechs, all series, not related to Full Metal Alchemist by the way), Fate/Stay Night, Deathnote. These are animes I watched myself, and loved way more than DBZ. Some also like One Piece, I couldn't get into it personally. Cowboy Bebop is loved amongst many, Trigun is as well.

Even though I am not a fan of all anime, and I haven't watched a lot of them, especially the more popular ones. I know there are many animes that are better than DBZ. Seriously, when I watch back on the DBZ time, I see it only as a mediocre anime in general, having only a few good pieces. It's just not nearly as diverse as many other animes, and the characters are just not...touching. They could have done way more with the background of the characters.
Depending on how much you liked the mind games of Death Note and mechs, Code Geass maybe a must watch, unless you have already watched and loved it/hated it.

know its offtopic and all, but i just had to say it :V[/endCGfanboyspreadingCG]

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

But in the end it all boils down to your own personal opinion. Everyone can find stuff they didn't like about an anime/manga. For example i myself dislike Naruto a bit due to Kishimoto trying too hard to make the story complex IMHO , and dragging on the whole deal with Sasuke as the main story plot point; Death Note was fun until they
killed off L
, then it kinda became boring to me; I concur with Berserk being totally awesome, but it's been going for 20 years already and only has 35 volumes. Kentaro is slow as hell :p ; Full Metal Panic has a great story which isn't a surprise since it's based on a series of mini novels, and FMP Fumoffu was pretty funny; Bleach was great at the start , until the end of the Soul Society saga. After that it started to deteoriate a bit and then picked it up at the
Aizen vs the Shinigami saga
but then the ending kind of failed for me; One Piece is also fun, reminds me a lot of dragon ball.

See i can do that too. But that's not really the point. Yes Dragon Ball has many flaws like some minor story plot holes, Toriyama abandoning characters like Tienshinhan and making Yamucha the "i always die first" guy, repetitive story in the later part(the DBZ part), but despite that i always thought it had some good character development, especially watching Goku turn from an innocent happy kid that lived alone in the mountains into a serious adult with a family while still maintaining that innocent like personality, and also the slow transformation of Vegeta. I love it because it's the first one that i've read but also since it's unique(you might say that a lot of todays shounen copies elements from dragon ball). Also when you watch around 400-500 episodes of a certain anime you get somewhat attached to it.

Although i'd recommend Gintama, it's 2nd on my fav list after DB. It's hilarious and yet it has shounen elements and can get serious.

I have no idea what i wanted to say with this half-assed post but after spending all that time typing this crap i might aswell post it. Don't take it too seriously

EDIT:Also what's the idea with the spoiler tags? Am i supposed to use Spoiler + to insert mid text and how?

Best answers
& as for Code Geass it is brilliant anime but if guy is attached to DBZ he most likely want watch something similar. Code Geass is great but it's nothing like DBZ. It's completely different thing about politics, totalitarizm & stuff, not to mention giant robots, which is not's everybody's fan, well atleast I'm not.
i ♥ed it.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I think that half of you or maybe more doesnt say DBZ is good because they watched it like 50 times and are with it for years

On the other hand being so much around that anime and everything that is about anime says pretty much what is best anime for you...

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's not that DBZ was horrible. There are far worse series out there, Beyblade, Pokemon etc. Anime had generally progressed since then and other series have come along. It still had a large influence though, and will be remembered.

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Naruto is horrible. DBZ Is miles ahed of it in every way, even art & drawing quality, and it came out like 15 years before Naruto. Bleach did indeed go on to long, unlike DBZ it couldn't hold my interest past 205.

Death Note was indeed awesome, as was Code Geass. DBZ will always have a special place in my favorite animes, not better, not worse, it's just DBZ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom