Model Locking?

Best answers
Hey guys,
I've heard about many people ripping models and such. And i came up with an idea to stop this. If it were somehow possible for somebody to come up with a way to "lock" the model so that it wont be editable. Any suggestions would be nice? Any programmers?

Just food for thought. (Tastes like an idea :talk: )

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
That's an awful lot of work for a rule that shouldn't be broken in the first place. It's a RULE for a reason, isn't it?

Best answers
True it is. But we wouldnt have any banning or flaming with this. And alot of problems would be solved. Its really annoying to see that people are flaming left and right.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
People should just "play" by the rules. If not they'll lose respect from everyone else and eventually get a ban (I think....) . Even though it IS a good idea, it would be near impossible to do..... :(

Best answers
X said:
People should just "play" by the rules. If not they'll lose respect from everyone else and eventually get a ban (I think....) . Even though it IS a good idea, it would be near impossible to do..... :(
Agreed. :smile:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Still good to see that people are trying to prevent ripping :yes: :yes:

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
theres things you can do to your models that will make it hard for people to edit, like making duplciates of yoru model, (slightly smaller than your moel) inside your model so the polycount will be really high and wont allow for people to add hardly anything to it,

you could do the same thing and scarmble the skinmaps of the inside layers as well, so they couldnt reskin it, (without remapping), in whcih case the inner layers would annoy the hell out of them,

i wouldnt ever use these techniques but its about al you can do

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Again, that's a lot of work to prevent a rule to be broken while it shouldn't be broken in the first place. IMO people are to respect ESF's rules and do not rip.

Best answers
i think somebody should really look into this and come up with simple ideas. nuttzy, are your ideas the only ones you can do to prevent your model from being editted/ripped?

i think this is a great idea. and yes rules are good, but they are always broken. think of the virus on the net, its not legal but it still happens.

anti virus help stop it.

why not an anti model-ripper program?

my 2 cents.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
not the only ones no, but the only ones that i think you could do without coding it into esf

Best answers
if you can still edit a model, then its not really locking it :rolleyes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well there is a program to 'lock' WC3 maps so they can't be edited, it adds some sort of line of code that makes it uneditable, not sure exactly. Maybe the same is possible for Halflife models, but again, it seems pointless.

Best answers
It isn't possible unless you create a new format for the models and only distribute a compiler to that format, not a decompiler or loader. Ofcourse I have no idea if the mod source code for Halflife is capable of implementing that. And even then someone may be able to make a program to read the models. It's just not possible to create a 100% secure model if you still want it to be read in a game.

Best answers
Lorem Ipsum is simply dummy text of the printing and typesetting industry. Lorem Ipsum has been the industry's standard dummy text ever since the 1500s, when an unknown printer took a galley of type and scrambled it to make a type specimen book. It has survived not only five centuries, but also the leap into electronic typesetting, remaining essentially unchanged. It was popularised in the 1960s with the release of Letraset sheets containing Lorem Ipsum passages, and more recently with desktop publishing software like Aldus PageMaker including versions of Lorem Ipsum.

Last edited:
Best answers
I think you'll find what A101 said is what you needed to hear. Although I'm not a modeller myself, I know stuff.

I can only think of two ways that you could lock your ESF models.

1) The program you use to edit has a lock option. (not likely and not very secure)
2) As A101 said, ESF codes their own model format, impliments it into the next version, and releases only the compiler, not the decompiler.

This would be almost 100% secure, provided none of the coders or anyone who got a copy of the source code leaked the decompiler.

But I doubt it's going to happen.

Everyone's Favorite Weirdo :D
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well.. if you wanna have your models locked.. you gotta go talk to the people who make the compilers and decompilers to make it so that you cant decompile certain models.

like.. there could be a final compile option and you couldnt decompile it any more. something like that

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
its a damn nice idea... wish it was an option now.. i would have had alot less hassle wit rippers and lameness ppl. Theyd find a way =\

✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
Still does'nt prevent rips from flatshades though

Best answers
Actualy,that would be kinda posible,but hard to do.Actually,nuttzy's idea is the only solution for now.
*off-topic* nuttzy,you riper.Your Pan is edit of some Poke-mod's model.Who cares...I finded yours Pan somewhere in my computer,I sawed that it's edit of model from Poke-mod.Nah,I can't edit it now...*off-topic*

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol, i made that completely from scratch, even showed pics of the prgress if you think you have any proof of anything go ahead and try to prove it, i have enouh proof on my end as well,

if your gonna try and start something, you better come prepared,

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom