Modding Platforms

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, I've got a question on mod creation, partiicularly when it comes to choosing engines.

Using these factors, which platform is the best.

- Speed vs System Requirements

- Features vs Ease of development (i.e. coding, mapping)

Also, which engine would be the best for creating a fighting game?

Are any of these engines a good choice?

- Quake 3
- Unreal Tournament
- Half Life

One last thing, I heard that you can sell mods that are created on Half Life, is that true? L8er

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by SA_Gohan

One last thing, I heard that you can sell mods that are created on Half Life, is that true? L8er
yeah CS comes in retail too.

Quake, Unreal, and Half life are all First Person shooters. So i don't know if you mean a fist to fist fighting game or something else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
As in fighting I mean something like a 3rd person melee system. Think OMF: BG, or Oni

Best answers
Well, Half-life is the easiest to mod, that's why so many people choose it. And you don't have to have a super computer to run it, unlike some of the newer engines.

Also, you CAN NOT sell mods for half life. If you get 10,000 people playing your mod at the same time, then Valve might regognize you, and decide to sell your mod retail, or just include it in Half-Life.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
UT2k3 is easyer to mod then hl, the mod tools are alot better, plus the game itself is better, try useing that if your computer can run it

Best answers
not exactly tepus, have you even done anything in ut2003?

it's code is based on some stupid script crap, UC++, which is pointless, when they could have just done it in C++...

also, I dont want to use their stupid paint program just to skin.

im used to photoshop, ill stick with photoshop, not Upaint, which has the capabilites of MSPaint.

its all stupid, they tried to make "their own editing tools", but all good modders are used to the old programs, and dont want to use this new crap.

HALF LIFE AND Q3 ALL THE WAY!!!!

**runs**

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Okay, well the Unreal series is out of the question. I just found out that not even one of them can run on my comp (300 mhz).
But I have heard the ut2k3 scripting language is very easy to learn, so maybe i'll be able to upgrade soon. I guess this means that Half Life is a pretty good choice for modding on then, though I do have one additional question on this, which is: Can it create fairly large worlds? Worlds that are about the size of Shenmue.

New question. What does someone have to do when it comes to starting their own project? Particularly when it comes to gathering up reliable and skilled team members, managing the project, and setting up an online presence?

Best answers
Originally posted by SA_Gohan
Okay, well the Unreal series is out of the question. I just found out that not even one of them can run on my comp (300 mhz).
But I have heard the ut2k3 scripting language is very easy to learn, so maybe i'll be able to upgrade soon. I guess this means that Half Life is a pretty good choice for modding on then, though I do have one additional question on this, which is: Can it create fairly large worlds? Worlds that are about the size of Shenmue.

New question. What does someone have to do when it comes to starting their own project? Particularly when it comes to gathering up reliable and skilled team members, managing the project, and setting up an online presence?
uhhh unreal script is C++ with a little touch of their ***ness

its not easy to learn, you probably need to know c++ first

Best answers
what have you done? thats gone ingame, and is working, and looks good

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by sonic834
what have you done? thats gone ingame, and is working, and looks good
ugh, Baka i tell u, BAKA!

i have not made anything in a mod, i have just toyed with things, animation is alot easyer, upaint helps skin in more detail and takes less time since u can look at it on a 3d model, the KAT is very very easy to use, and the mapper has allways been great.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I agree with tepus. We had a discussion a while ago on this and lee couldn't come up with a good reason as to why ut2k3 is crap

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
yes atm ut3k is the best for starting a mod on

Scruffie

S
Do they come with it? I know the mapping program does, but do all the rest?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Scruffie
Do they come with it? I know the mapping program does, but do all the rest?
yep

u get..

• KAT (Karma tools)
  • UnrealEd (Mapper
  • Script (no idea whats its called)
  • Maya (animations, models (i think)
  • Upaint (3d/2d Skinner)

i think thats it... i dunno

Best answers
Originally posted by Tepus
ugh, Baka i tell u, BAKA!

i have not made anything in a mod, i have just toyed with things, animation is alot easyer, upaint helps skin in more detail and takes less time since u can look at it on a 3d model, the KAT is very very easy to use, and the mapper has allways been great.
animating... do you even know what you use to animate with for ut2003? didnt think so, and its a pain in the ass.

upaint doesnt help you skin in more detail...

well, this is the response i would expect from non-experienced mod makers.

and... you said maya? wtf... you dont use maya for ut2003 animating or models.
im sure you could use it, but it's not the primary.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom