MMA Fighter No Match for Boxer?

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Only if they start having sex during the fight or the other guy swallows a pint of blood (probably more would be necessary).

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I would. Do some research.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
chances are the boxer would win on speed of punches combined with strength too.
Yea, but osmetimes that depends, some boxers aren't built for speed, but raw power, bu t even the big guys (Butterbean lol) throw FAST punches.

now a abdass lightweight that is insanely fast and tough - Oscar DeLa Hoya

Best answers
Martial Artists don't train for one super hard punch or kick either. Martial Artists focus on a wide range of attacks rather than focusing on one specific attack. This is so they can easily adapt to different situations. Boxers on the other hand are limited to attacking with their hands, thus most if not all strength training is to develop punching power.

Back during the golden age of boxing, a lot of boxers developed their own punches. Floyd Patterson developed the leaping left hook/gazelle punch, Muhammad Ali developed the anchor punch, Kid McCoy developed (supposedly) the corkscrew punch, etcetera.

Besides, we're not talking about the Martial Arts, we're talking about MMA.
i meant they don't learn to throw long combination, not that they learned few techniques. They may know many techniques but they mostly go for short strong combinations, like maybe one or two punch then a kick. While a boxer would just keep throwing punch after punch after punch.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you get an MMA fighter who can easily transition to grapple, it's over. It's not very hard to take someone down, shoot wrestle, etc. Exchange a few blows and then all of the sudden the guy leaps at his legs, juts his shoulder into him and steps forward. Uh oh. Ground battle. Boxer hasn't trained for that? He's going to get put in a submission hold or just ground and pounded and it's going to be silly. Take down defense and knowledge of grappling are mad important in an MMA match. Unless of course your opponent has no idea how to do it either.

Seriously, striking is very important. I don't deny it. But this guy says he's training very little in MMA even? He isn't just going to sock the guy, I gurantee you. He'll get taken down and rear naked choked or armbarred or something. Hell, a pro boxer partially relies on his huge ass gloves just to fight properly, so the transition is going to be awkward. Five bucks on the MMA guy.

Best answers
If you people are really intrested in what fighting style reigns supreme you should check out Ultimate fighting championship.
Its a tournament to find out the best fighters of the world without limiting it to single fighting style. Rules are that you win by making the opponent submit, knocking him out or even killing can occur :O
If you check out their homepage, you see that 3 of 5 title holders are wrestlers and one of them uses submissions...

So Martial arts and Boxing are useless, true fighters use wrestling...

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you people are really intrested in what fighting style reigns supreme you should check out Ultimate fighting championship.
Its a tournament to find out the best fighters of the world without limiting it to single fighting style. Rules are that you win by making the opponent submit, knocking him out or even killing can occur :O
If you check out their homepage, you see that 3 of 5 title holders are wrestlers and one of them uses submissions...

So Martial arts and Boxing are useless, true fighters use wrestling...
Killing isn't allowed in the UFC, plus a majority of UFC fighters train in multiple styles, whether it's wrestling or something like Muay Thai. Not to mention the style isn't the one fighting in the cage/ring/octagon, it's the fighter. So it's impossible to tell which form of fighting is the best among others, it's all dependent on the one who's learning the style.

Best answers
Killing isn't allowed in the UFC, plus a majority of UFC fighters train in multiple styles, whether it's wrestling or something like Muay Thai. Not to mention the style isn't the one fighting in the cage/ring/octagon, it's the fighter. So it's impossible to tell which form of fighting is the best among others, it's all dependent on the one who's learning the style.
Hmm, i might remember wrong but i had a image in my mind that somebody died against a kickboxer once in the tournament... Oh well, Of course killing is not allowed but of course there is a risk.

And as i said the tournament was made to find out the best fighters of the world without limiting it to only using one style.
If they were only using one style, Brazilian Jujutsu could be said as the best because in the first tournaments Royce Gracie overwhelmed all of his opponents with the said style. Later the others started to learn more about the other fighting styles and Royce Gracie didnt win anymore...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
And as i said the tournament was made to find out the best fighters of the world without limiting it to only using one style.
If they were only using one style, Brazilian Jujutsu could be said as the best because in the first tournaments Royce Gracie overwhelmed all of his opponents with the said style. Later the others started to learn more about the other fighting styles and Royce Gracie didnt win anymore...
And that's why I think the boxer isn't going to have as easy a time as he thinks he will. MMA gives you lots to work with, against many different fighting styles.

I don't know enough about either boxing or MMA fighting to be able to do more than guess though.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
alot of those ufc guys use some watered down version of muey thai

Best answers
Hmm, i might remember wrong but i had a image in my mind that somebody died against a kickboxer once in the tournament... Oh well, Of course killing is not allowed but of course there is a risk.

no fighter has ever died in the ufc, nobody has died in a sanctioned MMA event. ufc really isnt a tournament anymore, back in the day bjj worked because nobody knew what the hell it was but now its just one aspect of the game. this was proven when matt hughes brutally raped royce gracie a little while ago.

i wouldnt say they were watered down muay thai guys, they jsut dont focus on one style as much. if you wanna be a thai boxer, you train thai boxing. if you wanna get into MMA you need to pretty much be above average in one style and decent at the rest. Anderson Silva is a very good muay thai guy in MMA, but he also has some above average submission skills, and hes the current UFC middleweight champ.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Early UFC was a goddamn circus. You had guys trying to bust out the 'mantis style' and crap. That's why Royce Gracie, who ALSO only really knew one style, destroyed so many people with BJJ. It just shows you the importance of solid grappling ability. If you take it there, and the opponent doesn't know it very well, he's just plain done. I wouldn't think this cocky boxer guy is going to be hard to take to the ground, although of course you should be careful.

Best answers
Early UFC was a goddamn circus. You had guys trying to bust out the 'mantis style' and crap. That's why Royce Gracie, who ALSO only really knew one style, destroyed so many people with BJJ. It just shows you the importance of solid grappling ability. If you take it there, and the opponent doesn't know it very well, he's just plain done. I wouldn't think this cocky boxer guy is going to be hard to take to the ground, although of course you should be careful.
exactly, sounds like someone knows there stuff. even if he wasnt cocky he'd need to learn some very good takedown defense. 90% of fights end up on the ground, just the way it is.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
exactly, sounds like someone knows there stuff. even if he wasnt cocky he'd need to learn some very good takedown defense. 90% of fights end up on the ground, just the way it is.
he's boasting that he can finish things before they hit the ground. Good luck with that...

Best answers
well the guy morrison is fighting is a can so i wouldnt be surprised if he did finish it before it hit the ground, if you put morrison against a decent heavyweight he'd most likely lose. you also have to remember boxers are used to bigger gloves, the defense of a boxer changes when you wear 4 ounce gloves. i think they might actually be afraid to get hit there first few fights because they arent used to it, but we'll see i guess.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well the guy morrison is fighting is a can so i wouldnt be surprised if he did finish it before it hit the ground, if you put morrison against a decent heavyweight he'd most likely lose. you also have to remember boxers are used to bigger gloves, the defense of a boxer changes when you wear 4 ounce gloves. i think they might actually be afraid to get hit there first few fights because they arent used to it, but we'll see i guess.
He's no doubt training with the smaller gloves. They'll be comfortable and familiar by the fight.

Best answers
Tommy Morrison on Sherdog.com said:
I would never grapple with someone unless I was trained to do it," he said. "To get in there and throw hands with someone who is trained to throw hands doesn't make much sense to me. I'm here to prove a point. I didn't come here to play. I'm here to do a job and I plan on doing it in spectacular fashion."

Morrison stated his fight against 325-pound heavyweight John Stover, a no-show at Thursday's press conference, won't last long enough to get to the ground.

As part of his training camp, Morrison, who plans on fighting at 213 pounds, said he did not hire a wrestling or jiu-jitsu coach in preparation for the bout.

"I'm just going to walk out there and hit him on the chin," he said. "That's all it takes."
he admitted he wasnt doing any wrestling or submission training though, he probably hasnt added any kicks or knees or defense to kicks and knees to his arsenal. even if his opponent does suck, all he has to do is put morrison on his back and do work from there. i dont know much about his opponent though, all i know is that he has no recorded pro fights and that hes 325 pounds.

i'm not even sure if this fight is sanctioned or not, most sanctioning bodies have the heavyweight limit capped at 265 and his opponent is way over that.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only problem is yeah... no pro fights, and at 325 pounds this Stover guy could easily just be a huge sack of worthlessness like Bob Sapp, whereas Morrison is a trim, seasoned vet, even if he isn't a seasoned vet at MMA and has AIDs. I mean this is a "comeback fight" at Las Vegas. I wouldn't be surprised if they just made it into a big stupid stunt.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom