Milestones in gaming

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im just wondering what people think are milestones in games. I'm doing a project based on role of 2d design in games for college and I'm trying to cover what kind of games revolutionised genre's. I know a lot of my favourite games, but it's hard for me myself to define all of the games that have changed the way games are played simply by my own base of knowledge, I hope some of you could give me some kind of input so I can cover it more extensively.

So any thoughts?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mario introduce adventures

Sonic introduced the speed games could achieve

Golden Eye showed how FPS could be

Mario 64 was one of the earliest 3d games

Duck Hunt was interactive

Dreamcast had internet connection

PS/DC Had memory cards

Rumble packs on the N64

Street Fighter defined fighter genre

Final Fantasy defined RPGs

GTA practically made a new genre.

There are so much more...

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
the Final Fantasy VI - Opera scene, heh, was pretty big at the time.

The original Metroid was a milestone because it was almost completely non-linear.

Also Doom - Carmack is a genius.

Best answers
it depends on how far you want to go back, arcade games had a giant impact back in the golden age arcade games.

Street fighter was the first fighting game to have special moves in it, as well as having 6 attack buttons(the most other than it at the time was 2). Doom was a gigantic milestone in gaming for many reasons
(theres a whole book on why doom was so huge, Masters of Doom). The nintendo entertainment system solidified the console market(consoles were pretty much dead before the NES hit the scene). Mario bros 3 is the highest selling game of all time with 18 million copies sold(not counting games bundled with hardware such as mario 1 which sold 40 million copies, but it came with the NES). thats all i can think of off the top of my head. if you ahve the time i seriously reccomend you read masters of doom, it's very interesting and doom was so gigantic for so many reasons, probably one of hte most influential games ever.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Metal gear and metal gear 2: solid snake

for obvious reasons

Mr. Preacher
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wow can't believe nobody said The Sims or even Sim City...

I say Spore is going to revolutionize gaming when it is released but the only thing I'm worried about is how much time your going to have to spend on it to build your mutant civilizations.

Best answers
the sims aren't really revolutionary or a milestone(Although it did/does sell incredibly well). Sim City on the other hand would be a pretty good candidate

ESF Head Team Mapper
👑 Administrator
🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Dune2 - godfather of rts games

and what was first, maniac manson or mokey island?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Perfect Dark was an awesome game.

Roller Coaster Tycoon!!!

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Don't forget Half-Life introducing the first story-focused FPS. Maniac Mansion came first, by the way.

Best answers
Metal Gear Solid on Psx.

Nothing as cinematic and captivating had been made before it, the voice acting, the story, It felt like I was playing a movie.

Real characters with real motivations, it was a breath of fresh air from the cliche ridden storylines of the time.

I'm yet to see a game beat it in terms of cinematic presentation.

Best answers
Doom 3, introduced the "100% graphics, 0% gameplay" we still know and use today.. Awesome milestone.

Oh, and GTA3 for the "100% ghetto gangstah, 0% gameplay".

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GTA 3 didn't have any of that, Bolteh.

That was San Andreas.

I like how people go and generalize the entire series because they don't like one of the games.

I think Half-Life was a milestone for the FPS genre, adding a good story with lots of scripted events to make the world seem more alive.

Super Mario 64 was the first successful 3D platformer and made great use of the analog stick, which was pretty new back then.

I also think the Gameboy systems were a milestone in popularizing gaming and expanding the market.

Best answers
It was still a cornerstone for the later GTA's with it's shock-and-awe content rather than true gameplay. Unlike GTA and GTA2 btw.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
StarCraft - Voted as the best game of all time several times, and is the pinnacle of all RTS games and even future RTS games copy some of its features.
Not to mention the amount of clones, Mods, User created videos, Tournaments etc that are around.

Then there is Dungeon Keeper -A completely different game in its own right and still, in my opinion is the only game of its type a, resource gathering god themed RTS game, which you can take control of one of your units and have full control over it, Giving you a FPS perspective.

Best answers
The original Prince of Persia created by Jordan Mechner rovolutionized the action/adventure genre with never seen before caracter animations, sword fighting that requiers skill & patience. The gameplay involved lots of fluid running, jumping, hanging & many ways to die like geting stabed, crushed or impaled.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
GTA practically revolutionized the -- open-ended sandbox choose-your-own adventure -- gameplay, and set the precedent for future games. No game before GTA allowed that much freedom that essentially let the player do whatever they wanted. They could deviate from the storyline, and still find hours of things to do.

When games like Spiderman, Tony Hawk and The Simpsons introduced sand-box type gameplay, you can pretty much thank Grand Theft Auto.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
John Carmack is responsible for many of the biggest advances in video game history, although primarily unbeknownst to most.

Also seriously undercredited on the console side of things is Sega.

I think that Gears of War's system of cover and movement will make the third person shooter the next big thing, for certain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom