Wolfenstein 3d

Link to the past

Starcraft

OOT

Goldeneye

Half-life 2

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Max Payne, a story about a fugitive, who's family gets slaughtered. This storyline is followed by a bunch of movies and games.

Command & Conquer / Dune 2 , These Created The basic system of Rts.

Driver/Driver 2, A Whole area to drive out at 3d, in d2, you could get out of your car and steal others and even shoot when finishing the game.

Metal Gear Solid , Created a movielike storyline, having good cutscenes while playing the game.

Silent Hill, The first "Real" Horror game, that could scare the **** out of the player, has a good plot too.

Wolfenstein 3d, Most likely one of the first Fps Games with a pretty same aspect as of now, when not talking about Crosshair (not coming any earlier in mind)

Quake , Created a "genre" , where you just kill,shoot and run, people tend to call this type of Fps as "brainless fps"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Silent Hill was hardly the first horror game.

There are many earlier titles, like Phantasmagoria. o:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes , but what i meant was that it was the first one to really scare someone.
There were a whole of horror games before Silent Hill:

Biohazard series ( Resident Evil ) , Slaugther House ( came for commodore 64 xD) , for example.
---
Doom 3, introduced the "100% graphics, 0% gameplay" we still know and use today.. Awesome milestone.

Oh, and GTA3 for the "100% ghetto gangstah, 0% gameplay".
That's sad to see that you hate those, and what you claim isn't even true.

Doom 3: Scary, especially in night , and sure as hell has a good gameplay, good graphics too tho. What you say about making games more graphical and no gameplay, is damn true. Almost every new game is like that.

Gta 3: Has a damn good gameplay too.
Good storyline, interesting characteristics.
I think that you've been only killing randomly people while playing this and then just saying : "Nah, this game sucks" after you got bored to it.
And btw, Gta 3 is far away from Ghetto styles, San Andreas is all about it.

Best answers
But still this time i have to agree with Shiyo, because going by everyones logic Grand theft Auto's would be counted as RPG. Like almost every other modern game with free exploration...
grand theft auto does not focus on explorative puzzle solving, it doesn't have much on the way of inventory managment(you can switch from one gun to another thats about it), amd there isn't really consistent character growth or advancement(all you do is pick up more guns). therefore GTA doesn't really follow any of the specifications for an rpg.

also turn based combat is absolutely 100% not a requirement for a game to be an RPG.

Zelda does have stats, health and magic bar are both stats and they boith grow as you advance through the game. Link picks up plenty of special abilities(even though they are tied to his items he still has them). just because it doesn't say "you got 5 exp, you are now level 6 STR +2" doesn't mean there's no stats or character development.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
From Gamepro

In everyone's life, there comes a time when you can confidently point to an Earth-shifting cultural change and just know. Elvis Presley didn't merely alter the landscape of rock, he changed music. Star Wars didn't influence genre films or set precedents in science fiction, it changed movies. Forever. And in that same way, Grand Theft Auto III changed video games because its influence will extend to almost every genre of games, possibly forever.

Sure, folks took umbrage at the game's pervasive violence, questionable ethics, and potentially terrifying impact on society. But nobody can deny GTA III's revolutionary impact on game design. When Grand Theft Auto III landed in October of 2001, it instantaneously dated every game that came before it. The open-ended sandbox design of GTA III was a masterstroke, allowing the player an unprecedented degree of freedom to play as they choose. Whether following the main plot or ignoring it, players were free to indulge in any number of diversions at whatever level of morality they found comfortable. Suddenly, level-based gameplay -- an unspoken contract between gamer and game designer for more than 20 years -- was laughably antiquated. Even the hub-style launching points popularized by Super Mario 64 felt old and dusty. Simply put, GTAIII redefined how games are played, serving as a wake-up call to an industry that had had for years fallen into a safe, sleepy rhythm. GTA III's lesson? That creative boundaries must be attacked with the same vigor as technological hurdles.

After GTA III, everything from Tony Hawk to fighting games, shooters and even the Simpsons franchise went back to the drawing board. No other game in the last 20 years has had more impact than Grand Theft Auto III. It radically evolved the bond between gamer and game, in the process changing everything about how games are made and played.
I agree with every word.

Best answers
pretty interesting article, i'm not sure how much of an effect gta had on fighting games, but other than that i agree with it. Me and my friends sat for hours taking turns on the time limited demo for that game for hours on end, theres just so much you can do in it.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Nintendo, coming out with the Rumble Pack, and 4 Players.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
pretty interesting article, i'm not sure how much of an effect gta had on fighting games, but other than that i agree with it. Me and my friends sat for hours taking turns on the time limited demo for that game for hours on end, theres just so much you can do in it.
Games where you can fight in an open area in a sandbox setting. Spiderman 2-3 is a good example.

Best answers
hmm when i hear fighting games i think street fighter, guilty gear, and soul calibur and stuff.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Halo was the most unrevolutionary game I've ever played. With the very minor exception of the regenerating health idea that is now essentially ingrained in the shooter genre, it really didn't do much. Though I should give credit where it's due; that regenerating health idea has made the shooter genre much better.
Unrevolutionary, but well done. That's what set it apart.

And I hate... hate regenerating health. You don't have to think about what you're doing, because you can simply hide behind something to get back to full health. It completely removes the challenge of getting through a level. You don't need to worry about being able to take out the guys up the road, because by then, whatever happens now will be forgiven.

Oh, you only killed half of them and now you're almost dead? Well no problem, just sit back and relax for a minute. And in case you need any, there are diapers in your inventory, right next to the pacifier.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

And I hate... hate regenerating health. You don't have to think about what you're doing, because you can simply hide behind something to get back to full health. It completely removes the challenge of getting through a level. You don't need to worry about being able to take out the guys up the road, because by then, whatever happens now will be forgiven.

Oh, you only killed half of them and now you're almost dead? Well no problem, just sit back and relax for a minute. And in case you need any, there are diapers in your inventory, right next to the pacifier.
:p Try playing Gears of War on Insane, and then try telling us you hate regenerating health.

That game would be impossible to play without it.

Best answers
:p Try playing Gears of War on Insane, and then try telling us you hate regenerating health.

That game would be impossible to play without it.
amen!

anyway I'm surprised no-ones mentioned poke'mon as ok it wasn't exactly the best anime series ever made but the game was very solid and I think it finally made anime games more main stream for western buyers and even more so on hand-held systems and what's more is that it's still bursting out sequels and releases with almost exactly the same fighting system that it's used since 1999 !

I'd say Nintendo has been a huge player when it's came to milestones in gaming and if you look at there history of console and great games on them then you have to say few other's can match it. Just look at how the DS, Wii and then think back to the N24 and Super Nintendo and think of all the joy those brought to us while we were all growing up and playing them. More so that now the DS is one of the most bought consoles out at the moment! Just think that it's not just because of the console but because each game is a new milestone, each game creates a DIFFERENT and interesting way to look at a situation e.g metroid prime, Poke'mon ranger, nintendogs and brain training!

Because while games are important in milestones, they are only as good as the consoles there on!

So in your essay/report I think you should really try to go beyond games that are just good but games that redefined what it was to actually be games and I don't think developers do that much any more and instead use the same rules that have been used in the past. Look at the FPS genre and how the games still use the basic rules that have been in countless games before hand (I think that's why Call of duty is so popular and is so much fun to play, amen to killing nazi's :p ). Look at the RPG genre and how games like Zelda still influence games that are made today

I know I've babbled on a bit about this but it's one of my favourite subjects

P.s: Zelda is a RPG, END OF !

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Of course, at Easy, but if you play at Legendary, it's a whole different thing.
Especially when you try to kill tartarus/escape from Caterpillar and then you could tell it's a blessing.

Best answers
grand theft auto does not focus on explorative puzzle solving, it doesn't have much on the way of inventory managment(you can switch from one gun to another thats about it), amd there isn't really consistent character growth or advancement(all you do is pick up more guns). therefore GTA doesn't really follow any of the specifications for an rpg.
I guess you haven't played San Andreas, huh?
In San Andreas you can develop almost every area of skill separately, like shooting with handgun, driving with car, endurance, and even gambling. The story had a main character with personality(ghetto style), it had a continuable story. It even had a some puzzle solving in it.
Only what it seemed missing was that inventory management screen you seem to keep as qualification for rpg. But still you could carry items like Camera, Parachute, Spray can...etc(things that couldnt shoot).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Grand Theft Auto is not the most revolutionary game of the last 20 years. Sorry. Perhaps the last five, but even that is pushing it.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh come on Pride. It's one of the most influential games, ever. If you don't like the game, that's fine, but you can't deny it's impact on the industry.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I loved Vice City too, but it didn't really influence anything... It just merged other genres. There are only a handful of games built in GTA III's image, such as that London version of GTA III (can't remember the game's name) and True Crime: Streets of LA. It really isn't that special. I'm not biased or anything, hell, during the time I owned a PS2, I had bought one for the sole purpose of playing Vice City and maybe Devil May Cry and Final Fantasy X. And it's impact on the industry? It just produced even more angry mothers, *****ing and whining about kids being exposed to these kinds of games.

If you want a revultionary game, take a look at GoldenEye 64. It was one of the first video games based on a movie to actually succeed, it was also one of the first games with a multiplayer deathmatch mode made available through a video game console.

Best answers
I guess you haven't played San Andreas, huh?
In San Andreas you can develop almost every area of skill separately, like shooting with handgun, driving with car, endurance, and even gambling. The story had a main character with personality(ghetto style), it had a continuable story. It even had a some puzzle solving in it.
Only what it seemed missing was that inventory management screen you seem to keep as qualification for rpg. But still you could carry items like Camera, Parachute, Spray can...etc(things that couldnt shoot).
i haven't played san andreas so i can't really comment on it, the main problem i see is that i'm pretty sure its focus isn't on the explorative puzzle solving, just because it has a little doesn't make it an rpg. Also the inventory managment also doesn't seem like much of a focus. The definition i'm using was given to me from someone in the industry and who constantly keeps in contact with others in the gaming industry to make sure his class is current and relevant. What's your definition of an rpg and why doesn't zelda fit into it? What about secret of mana? is that considered an RPG to you?

There are only a handful of games built in GTA III's image, such as that London version of GTA III (can't remember the game's name) and True Crime: Streets of LA.
and crackdown, and just cause, and hte hulk, and the spiderman games, and saints row, and dead rising(arguably), simpsons hit and run, and probably more that i can't think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom