Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I know this has been out in the US for a while now, but being in the UK I only got it last week. TBH after MGS2 I didn't have too high expectations, especially when Hideo Kojima, the seer of action gaming, announced he wouldn't be directing it. But neverless I bought it and couldn't be more pleased, the new systems (CQC, Stamina, Camo etc) work really well and the fact that you're in the jungle without a radar is a lot less restrained. Also, the surround sound is used more effectivley than any other game.

Point in case, The Fear, I couldn't beat him on my crappy single-speaker TV. Later on during the evening I moved my PS2 downstairs (where we have 5.1 dolby surround) and it was an absolute cakewalk because I could hear his every footstep with crystal preciscion.

What'd u guys think?

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
I Still haven't gotten the game...but surround sound plays an impact on a game..that's kind of stupid...oh well, I'm glad I have surround sound in the living room, I'll just move the ps2 there.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It doesn't directly affect the game, just the way you play it. With one speaker if I heard rustling i'd be like 'oh right, so he's somewhere in the map', but with surround I could think 'right, he's about 20 meters north-west of me and he's running' and that was able to help massively.

I'll try not to let any spoilers go without huge warnings stating so :yes:

Best answers
I thought the same thing after mgs2, wasn't really that intrested in mgs3.
Then i thought, heck i'll just get it and see. Turns out it's a really good game worth the cash. :)

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I was actually looking forward to this after MGS2. It came out awesome and some of the radio conversations are much funnier that those in MGS2. Like the one with Sigint when your in a cardboard box.

Best answers
I loved MGS, loved MGS2 and I've got to say, I love MGS3 too. The story wasn't quite as complex as the other two, and didn't really have any twists for most of the game, but it was very well told and still interesting all the way through.

*SPOILERS*

Was anyone else a little disapointed that Big Boss just isn't as tough as Solid Snake?
It seems that the entire way through the story he's always getting owned by other characters, such as The Boss, and EVA at the end. Didn't ruin the game or anything, but it was the wisdom and general coolness of Snake in the other games that made them that bit better.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I absolutely loved this game, it's hands down the best MGS game ever made, and overall is just an incredible game when compared to others. It has an excellent storyline, and the characters are really thought out and just plain cool. The new jungle setting is a huge plus, and makes the game infinitely more fun. And the of course there is the boss battles. The boss battles are some of the best in any game. The Fear really stands out, the fight can push on for a very long time (especially at the extreme difficulty mode), and is a whole lot of fun to play (I don't want to spol it for you). But the last fight is definately the coolest. The setting is breathtaking, the actual fight, and what you need to do to win can vary a lot, and it's fun any way you do it (I think CQC is the most fun way to go about it). And when the snake eater theme starts to play, and you know your running out of time, the cool meter just blows through the roof.

And hey, does anyone get what was with that stupid ladder? If you've finished the game, you know what i'm talking about. I mean, what is it? Some sort of boss or something? I could definately see how, I mean it killed me. It takes like 5 friggin minutes to climb the thing, then you get to the top, and it does some crazy pshycological tricks on you, and you can't help but jumping off, even when you know its just a black pit of doom.

*SPOILERS*

-JLN- said:
Was anyone else a little disapointed that Big Boss just isn't as tough as Solid Snake?
It seems that the entire way through the story he's always getting owned by other characters, such as The Boss, and EVA at the end. Didn't ruin the game or anything, but it was the wisdom and general coolness of Snake in the other games that made them that bit better.
Ya, that was my biggest gripe with the game, Snake is always made out to be so cool and bad ass, but in MGS3 he gets owned by the other characters a bit too much. But that's only a small thing to be mad about.

[S]

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hash said:
Ya, that was my biggest gripe with the game, Snake is always made out to be so cool and bad ass, but in MGS3 he gets owned by the other characters a bit too much. But that's only a small thing to be mad about.
*SPOILER*

That's not snake in MGS3 its Big Boss Solid Snakes biological father isn't it?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
[S] said:
*SPOILER*

That's not snake in MGS3 its Big Boss Solid Snakes biological father isn't it?
Ya, I know, I know. I was just too lazy to write out Big Boss. And besides, it's not like there draistically diferent from one another or anything.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
SPOILER

Considering Snake is a genetic clone of Big Boss, they're basically the same guy. It was cool finding about Snakes grandparents (Joy and Sorrow) and how BB lost his eye.

And hey, does anyone get what was with that stupid ladder? If you've finished the game, you know what i'm talking about. I mean, what is it? Some sort of boss or something? I could definately see how, I mean it killed me. It takes like 5 friggin minutes to climb the thing, then you get to the top, and it does some crazy pshycological tricks on you, and you can't help but jumping off, even when you know its just a black pit of doom.
Do you mean the one between The End and the mountaintop? I don't know why they didn't just give you an elevator, even if the Snake Eater theme was playing through it.

The fight with The End really threw me. On the first playthrough I was like "What the hell is this crap? It's totally killing the games pace!" and on the second one it ended up being my favorite fight. On the third, I just shot him in the head at Ponzivoje Warehouse: Exterior while he was sleeping in the wheelchair. Kind of a cheap kill but I was going for a good time and I didn't want to spend 30 minutes with that fight. Plus i'd already got all his stuff from the second playthough.

Also, it might just be me, but did anyone find the fight with the Shagohod ridiculously easy?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
shagohod was piss easy... just gotta find the technique...

i dont think BB was any less strong than SS, i mean, snake got pwned by sniper wolf, then by liquid, then by ocelot in mgs2, and by the black woman (forgot her name) with the rail gun..

just remember that The Boss, was called that for a reason, she was THE BEST!!! BB owned ocelot so many times it was unreal, and eva... well, are you gonna deny you wouldnt have fallen for that? as for Volgin, snake was already disabled by the boss, so he didnt stand much chance against a musclebound electro charged sadistic nutcase with the will to put a hurting on the dude who (spoiler) killed his *****

all in all, im damned impressed, and i spent 2 hours trying to get sokolov out of the building (the first one) on european extreme, and i just decided to give up, its too damned hard.

edit: big boss was codenamed naked snake, therefor, Snake is an acceptable name for him also.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think we should refer to SS as Snake and NS as Big Boss and TB as The Boss, otherwise that would be confusing :p

This is what I thought of the boss/special fights: SPOILERS:

The GRU Unit: This was a good, fun battle. I especially like the way the unit covered the building when you escape through the trapdoor. It wasn't too tough but I did set off the alert. The first time I went through the game I had the EZ gun but on the second playthrough I didn't use it. Overall, this 'fight' gets a 7/10.

Ocelot Duel: A bit reminice of the fight with Olga in MGS2, this one was quite easy too except when the GRU unit butts in and shoots you in the back. The thing that annoyed me was the fact that two of Ocelots reloads were FMV's so it took away the small advantage you got on those occasions. A 6/10.

The Pain: The first of the Cobra's, I didn't think that this was a good fight because you could shoot down his grenades because they went so slowly, and then jump in the water if he attacked with anything else. It was a repetitive case of shoot, jump in the water, get out, shoot, etc. 5/10.

The Fear: One of my favorite fights in the game because you had to use more senses than sight. I didn't find the sensors very useful despite Sigint's advice because by the time you see him on the radar he's bounded to the other side of the map. This fight would've got a 5/10 if I hadn't stuck on the surround sound, which this fight utilises well, so it gets a shiny 7/10. Also, throwing rotten food as a tactic and the traps made this fight more interesting and deep, so it gets a 8/10.

The End: I think this fight depends on how you go about it. The first time through I was running around looking for him like an idiot, got sniped, eventually found him and unloaded. It took a good hour that way and I hated it, it would have got a 2/10. On the second playthrough I went about it properly using the directional mic, looking for footprints, using the thermal goggles and crawling. I even managed to sneak up on him to get the 'moss camo'. This fight seemed much more 'real' than any other and gave an even better sense of a sniper duel than the Sniper Wolf battles of MGS. A resounding 8/10. Or you could just shoot him at the warehouse when he's in his wheelchair if you're a bastard :devsmile:

The Fury: Pretty basic stuff, this reminded me of Vulcan Raven's battle because of the layout and the way he attacked you. It was really about reflexes and speed, trying to find out his location so you could get behind him. The fact that you could rip his flame-suit to make him more vunerable was a nice touch, but the fight was ultimatley simple. 7/10.

The Sorrow: If you've played this fight, you'll understand why it sucks. You move the speed of an arthritic slug and all you have to do it walk forward. His attack is so easy to dodge and even when it hits you it does minimal damage even on Normal. Plus he rarely uses it so you usually recover in that time. Seeing your dead enemies wasn't as fun as they thought. 3/10 because of the interesting way you 'win', and because of the reward at the end (my favorite camo).

Volgin: This battle was cool. There were a lot of different ways to beat him and you could use the pipes to spray him with water which was fun and tactically cool. He's also vunerable to CQC and CQC is badass. Hmm, not sure what else to say here, but I had fun taking him down in different ways, so it gets a 7/10.

Bike Chase: Meh, pretty boring, the Shagohod rarely hits you and the bikers are easy to dispatch. 4/10.

Shagohod: Infinite ammo you say? Multiple weak spots you say? This battle was cake, Eva saves you from most of the attacks, the rockets fly at you in such a way that is easy to shoot them down. Infinite rockets fired at the treads + infinite rockets fired at the back = easy easy victory as long as the machine guns don't mince you up, but they're shootable too. 6/10 for being too easy.

Volgin/Shagohod: Same as before only without Eva dodging attacks for you and limited ammo. This made the fight a bit harder but because Volgin is stupid and chases Eva (who has a pistol) and turns his back on Snake (who has an RPG launcher) the result is the same. Still, this is the closest thing to a true 'Metal Gear' battle from the two previous games, and it was fun to use mounted guns to break Volgin's shield and make him cry. 8/10, could have been better.

The Boss/The Joy: A fitting finalé, you can pretty much go about this anyway you want. CQC, stealth, head-on gunfire, using cover, whatever. This fight was cool because of the CQC battles and counters, and because the theme kicks in toward the end. Quite symbolic and dramatic. I didn't think the PS2 could handle a field of flowers blowing in changing winds with petals flying everywhere but it looks fantastic. 9/10.

Ocelot Standoff: Heh, it's pretty simple but it gets a laugh, plus you get the Colt Single-Action Army. A nice end, winds down the game nicely and shows you that Ocelots not such a bad guy. Hand Gestures for all. 7/10.

The game overall gets a sexy sexy 8/10 on a stereo/mono TV, 9/10with surround sound :D

Best answers
i dont think BB was any less strong than SS, i mean, snake got pwned by sniper wolf, then by liquid, then by ocelot in mgs2, and by the black woman (forgot her name) with the rail gun..
Yeah, fair point, but although Solid Snake does get owned, he's always wise enough or strong enough to to deal with it. He ends up killing Sniper Wolf at her own game. He gets owned by Liquid, and then ruins his plan anyway by owing Liquid and Metal Gear. I cant' remember him being owned by Ocelot in MGS2 though. Ocelot thought he'd owned everyone towards the end, but Snake was the only one wise enough to realise that whatever Ocelot said didn't really change anything. He did actually get owned by Fortune, but the fact that he had the balls to fight someone who couldn't be shot means I can forgive him :p

Big Boss might be just as strong, and almost as skilled, he just seems really naive the entire way through the game, and gets owned because of it.
Having said that, Big Boss is still really tough, just not as tough as Solid Snake :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think they did that on purpose, Snake was a clone of Big Boss which makes them equal, but he got genetic treatment which would make him a bit better I guess. Rememeber in MGS when Liquid said there was 8 clones and they took the best genetic parts of each to make just 2 flawless warriors, Solid and Liquid. Then they took some of Solid's genes and put them in Liquid to make him perfect.

After all that, i'm not surprised Big Boss came off worse :)

Best answers
Well, actually, I think Liquid got all of Big Bosses dominant genes, while Solid Snake got all Big Bosses recessive genes. At least, that's what I think. But one of the biggest themes in MGS1 and MGS2, is that genes do not make a person. It's what happens in life that creates and shapes a person. That's why Solid Snake ends up being the best.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You're probably right. The end of MGS1 threw me a bit (and it was a while ago). All I remember is that Liquid hated Solid because he thought the Solid got the best parts of Liquid (remember the line "You've taken everything from me!!") but then right at the very end when Ocelot's talking to Solidus he says that it was actually the other way around. It makes sense seeing as Liquid took a hell of a lot more punishment and survived, only to be destroyed by FoxDIE, and then Ocelot stole his arm...etc...

Best answers
What you're forgetting is, although Big Boss get's his ass handed to him several times by The Boss, in the end, he wins, and not because she let him. The idea is that as the game progressed BB got better, and he resolved his feelings for The Boss, meaning he no longer felt as reluctant as he did originally to kill her.

I loved MGS3: Snake Eater, but I can hear the birds outside chirping away in the trees, and I get this urge to go eat them... Snake Eater ****s you up, man...

(I'm interested to know how Big Boss goes from killing something like the Shagohad, to the whole Outer Heaven/Metal Gear thing in 'Metal Gear' for the NES... maybe a 'Metal Gear' remake is in order?)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Metal Gear 2...man, that was a bad game. If they remake it then I hope it doesn't suck as much as a tenth as it did. Big Boss died in the most stupid way possible.

For the record, the stories for the Metal Gear games are on the MGS disc.

Best answers
First of all, it's been along time since i posted, i do keep check on the forums but only occasionaly. So HI!

Spoilers

Ravendust said:
It was cool finding about Snakes grandparents (Joy and Sorrow)
Big Boss (Naked Snake) was not the son of Joy and Sorrow. There is a Radio conversation between Eva and Snake about Ocelot, saying being the son of a legendary soldier. Snake assumes that the legendary soldier was a male, but it was The Boss/joy. It also states the mother was left with a snake shaped scar (like the boss/joy) seen in the final battle.

Just wanted to clear that up :)

Also on Solid Snake having receive geans, receive does not necessarily mean worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom