Macbook Pro... hmm?

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Honestly, I think ya'll need to get over all the Mac hate.
It's not hate. It's simple math. Why buy a computer with 2 gigs of ram, a 500gb hdd, and let's say a nvidia 96oo when for 2500, when you can get the same thing for 900? If my dislike for the price is me hating apple then yes, I hate apple. Because their prices are asinine. If their prices rivaled a PC, then I wouldn't have any problem with Dave buying one. And it seems no one can justify why apple's prices are so high. That's not hate, that's just apple overpricing their products.

I want dave to get the best bang for his buck. My laptop is a 1,300 dollar (U.S) laptop, i got it for 600, new. And I bet my computer could do whatever a mac could do. So why spend the extra 900 dollars? If Apple's and PC's prices were switched, then yeah, I'd dislike PC's.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i'm with Dong on this one, like i said the bang for buck factor just isn't there... YET.

and to be honest, the software you're planning to load on it means a whole host of compatability issues, and other things. hell, for the same amount of money you can buy a pc, a laptop, and a copy of OSX to install on the laptop :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You also have to take in the factor of service. Apple Care is one of the best things that has ever happened to me, I got a new battery free from Apple when it wasn't working, and I recently had my motherboard replaced as well. Unfortunately my Apple Care just ran out, but in the 3 years I've had it, every time I called up was a great experience. You actually talk to people who speak English too, no offense to non-English speakers, but when I called up when I had a PC problem I could barely understand the person I was talking to. The appointments you can make in-store are also great to have. It's like setting up an appointment to see the doctor if you're sick.

As far as applications go, Maya still works great on Macs, not sure what rendering is like yet, and so is Lightwave (once you actually know how to use the program well). Not to metion the software that comes with the Mac: Safari is super fast, iChat is a great chat client and the video chatting is amazing, Garage Band if you want to futz around with a basic music program (I prefer Logic Studio), and iMovie for some basic video editing.

I've also never had a problem with viruses on my Mac, and it still runs like a champ 3 years later. I think that buying a Mac is like buying a Prius, or any other popular Japanese car for that matter vs. a truck or SUV. It's a great investment for the long haul. From my understanding, most PC users upgrade their systems every couple of years or so, but Macs still work well and strong even if a newer one with newer technology comes out. Even though I don't have the newest MacBook Pro, I still love mine just as much as I got it the first day.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I did. And I still can't figure out why you need something when you already have a computer than can do it. You said it yourself.
Perhaps I didn't make it clear then. I want something i can cart around with me, and something I can work on in my bedroom (since even though this is my pc, its in the living room for everyone to use.) The purposes being it'd be my digital sketchbook, I cant cart a tower and a monitor around with me, specially since my monitor is an ancient tube monitor ;x

I want it to exclusively do work, nothing else, with programs I know work on macs.

I've said the price issue doesn't bother me that much, and so far thats the only argument I've seen stand any ground.

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
The thing with Macs is, you are basically paying the extra money to run OSX. So the question is: Is OSX worth the extra cash?

My opinion?

No way, even for designing, Windows XP, Vista or 7 can just preform as well as OSX.(Unless you're a 13 year old retard who fills his OS with crap) Besides that, with a normal laptop you have ALOT more choice. You can go very cheap, like Acer and Packard Bell(Not recommended!), or price/performance, like Asus and MSI, or customizing, like Dell and BTO, or robust, Lenovo Thinkpad. And to be true(Yes I'm being honest) I like Windows alot more then OSX, because of the versatility the platform brings. Yes a Mac can run Windows with bootcamp, but then what's the use of buying a fricken Mac?

So the question is: Is OSX(Or Mac programs) that important for you? Yes? Buy a Mac. No? Buy a laptop that suits your needs may it be design, warranty or overall feel.

P.s. And there is only one argument and that is finance. It's always an argument of finance when you compare things. If you're that rich and don't care, buy whatever you like.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
You have to understand that they are comparing that with Dell. First off, dell is over priced as well, as is alienware. If you look at HP's and Acer's, they're a butt ton cheaper.

The only thing I could justify Dell being so pricey is their service. With their service you really do get what you pay for. I've never been with a computer company that has service as good as dell. My friend Kyle, he renews his warranty on his dell every year, one year his computer completely died. He sent it into Dell, they gave him a brand new laptop. Not only was it 17" instead of 15.4" but it had twice the power, and actual GPU not an onboard one, and twice the ram. I was astounded.

My GF also has a dell, and her computer is dying. A dell guy went to her house to fix it. That, to me, was awesome.

Dave, if you can, could you tell me exactly what the difference between an apple and a PC is? Sorry, I still can't justify the 2,700ish dollars those computers are worth. I mean, if it's going to make your life 1,000 times easier to get an apple and work on it, then go for it. If price is no issue, then knock yourself out. I was just trying to be money conscious, because I had to be when I bought my computer.

If I had bought the computer i had full retail price, I'd never have gotten it. If you can trust e-bay, check them out, the prices on some of the stuff there are amazingly low. Perhaps you could get a really nice apple for super cheap.

Last edited:
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The Final Verdict

NO

Macs are not overpriced. Pound for pound, if you compare a similarly equipped PC with a Mac, the Mac pricing comes in very competitively.
Charging extra money for service? Sure. Charging as much as Apple does...no way. I mean seriously, if your battery dies out on you, Apple gives you a new one for free! Wow! If I buy a normal laptop, you have to buy that battery yourself (except if you buy a Dell or Alienware (both overpriced as well), they would probably give you one too) and you'd still save money over the Mac.

Want to know the differences.

<table class="product-table"> <tbody><tr class="product-model odd"><th scope="col" class="column-2">
</th> <th scope="col" class="column-3"> 15-inch: 2.8GHz

</th></tr></tbody> </table> <table style="width: 298px; height: 282px;" class="product-table"><tbody><tr class="product-model odd"><th scope="col" class="column-3">

</th> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <th scope="col" class="column-4 last">

</th> </tr> <tr class="product-description even"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-2">
</td> <td class="column-3">Intel Core 2 Duo</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td><td class="column-4 last">
</td> </tr> <tr class="product-description odd"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3">4GB Memory</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> <tr class="product-description even"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3">500GB hard drive<sup>1</sup></td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">SD card slot</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">Built-in 7-hour battery<sup>2</sup></td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> <tr class="shipping-description even"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3"> Ships: Within 24hrs </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> <tr class="free-shipping odd"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3">Free Shipping</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> <tr class="price even"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3"> $2,299.00</td></tr></tbody></table>

And now, the windows based version:

<table style="width: 504px; height: 474px;"><tbody><tr><td>
- Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1680X1050)
- Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9600 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz, 1066MHz FSB[+$130.00]
- Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA Home Premium 64-Bit Edition with Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Coupon [+$20.00]
- Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 2GB
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 500GB 5400rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive[+$15.00]
- Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Wireless Network Card: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth V2.0 + EDR Module
- Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
- Integrated Security Device: Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
- Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
- Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag​

</td><td>
</td><td style="text-align: right;">
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="4">Sub-Total:$1,654.00

</td></tr></tbody></table>
So basically. I get a graphics card that is many times more powerfull (GTX 260 >>>>> 9600, so badly...it's just plain wrong.), I get the same hardware, and still save 700 dollars (plus windows Vista + 7 upgrade, great deal if you ask me). Then there's another thing...this is the Sager NP8662, and it is a lot more customizable. Right now, in this configuration it has a 1680x1050 screen, but for a bit more money you can have a 1920x1080 screen, great for graphics designing. Well...on a 15 inch screen, that could be debatable, but they also sell 17 inch laptops. I'd know what I'd choose. Infact, I might be planning on buying this exact laptop myself.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Charging extra money for service? Sure. Charging as much as Apple does...no way. I mean seriously, if your battery dies out on you, Apple gives you a new one for free! Wow! If I buy a normal laptop, you have to buy that battery yourself (except if you buy a Dell or Alienware (both overpriced as well), they would probably give you one too) and you'd still save money over the Mac.

Want to know the differences.

<table class="product-table"> <tbody><tr class="product-model odd"><th scope="col" class="column-2">
</th> <th scope="col" class="column-3"> 15-inch: 2.8GHz

</th></tr></tbody> </table> <table style="width: 298px; height: 282px;" class="product-table"><tbody><tr class="product-model odd"><th scope="col" class="column-3">

</th> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <th scope="col" class="column-4 last">

</th> </tr> <tr class="product-description even"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3">Intel Core 2 Duo</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">4GB Memory</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">500GB hard drive<sup>1</sup></td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">SD card slot</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">Built-in 7-hour battery<sup>2</sup></td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> <td class="column-3">NVIDIA GeForce 9400M + 9600M GT with 512MB</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> <tr class="shipping-description even"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3"> Ships: Within 24hrs </td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> <tr class="free-shipping odd"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3">Free Shipping</td> <td style="vertical-align: top;">
</td> </tr> <tr class="price even"> <td class="column-1 first">
</td> <td class="column-3"> $2,299.00</td></tr></tbody></table>

And now, the windows based version:

<table style="width: 504px; height: 474px;"><tbody><tr><td>
- Display: 15.4" WSXGA+ LCD with Super Glossy Surface (1680X1050)
- Processor: 45nm Intel® Core™ 2 Duo Processor T9600 / 6MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz, 1066MHz FSB[+$130.00]
- Video & Graphics Card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 260M Graphics with 1GB DDR3 Video Memory
- Operating System: Genuine MS Windows® VISTA Home Premium 64-Bit Edition with Upgrade to Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Coupon [+$20.00]
- Memory: 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 X 2GB
- Primary Hard Disk Drive: 500GB 5400rpm SATA 300 Hard Drive[+$15.00]
- Optical Drive: 8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive & Software
- Wireless Network Card: Intel Wi-Fi Link 5300AGN - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN Module
- Bluetooth: Internal Bluetooth V2.0 + EDR Module
- Primary Battery: Smart Li-ION Battery Pack
- Integrated Security Device: Fingerprint Reader
- Microsoft Office: Microsoft Office Ready with Free 60-Day Trial
- Warranty: Sager 1 Year Limited Parts and Labor Warranty
- Carrying Bag: Standard Carrying Bag​

</td><td>
</td></tr><tr><td colspan="4">Sub-Total:$1,654.00

</td></tr></tbody></table>
So basically. I get a graphics card that is many times more powerfull (GTX 260 >>>>> 9600, so badly...it's just plain wrong.), I get the same hardware, and still save 700 dollars (plus windows Vista + 7 upgrade, great deal if you ask me). Then there's another thing...this is the Sager NP8662, and it is a lot more customizable. Right now, in this configuration it has a 1680x1050 screen, but for a bit more money you can have a 1920x1080 screen, great for graphics designing. Well...on a 15 inch screen, that could be debatable, but they also sell 17 inch laptops. I'd know what I'd choose. Infact, I might be planning on buying this exact laptop myself.

I can't tell if you're arguing with me or against me. You don't post which one is which, and you go into more detail in one than you do the other. Not to mention you state the exact same things I have stated.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can't tell if you're arguing with me or against me.
If you read it again, you'll see I am not to keen on Apple's prices.

You don't post which one is which, and you go into more detail in one than you do the other.
If you read again, you'll see that in the last paragraph, I start talking about how much more customizable the Sager is, and thus, how I plan on buying that one myself.

Not to mention you state the exact same things I have stated.
That's called: agreeing with you. That, and I posted some extra proof on how Apple's are overpriced, compared to normal laptops. Making sure that those who say that Apple's are not overpriced, can see for themselves that they really are overpriced.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
So what's all this money going toward? Apple's customer service? OSX? The Design?

I love my MacBook Pro, but the price still bugs me.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
Actually, I don't don't know what a Sager is, nor do I rightfully care. Not enough to do research on it.

When you just start naming specs with no title as to which one is which, people tend to get confused.

I don't see why you're arguing with me if you're agreeing with me, but have fun with that.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actual Skiwan, I just began trying this program out called CrossOver, which I read is a "compatibility layer" that lets you run most windows programs.

http://www.codeweavers.com/products/cxgames/

I got it and it runs Steam (and esf :D!!) at full speed, even though there is no Steam for Mac. Now some things do not run at full speed, like City of Heroes (but there's a Mac version for that, so I may just buy that), but even smaller programs I have seem to work, like a program that lets me play my PSP on my PC. I do not think 3DS max will run though.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
but i think that skiwan need the mac for grafic desing no for play games.in my case i want imac but i only i am going to buy this mac for grafic desing no for play ,for play i have my normal pc.
but i will need 3d max...

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well 3dsMax won't work on a Mac unless you use something such as BootCamp. So in the end, you'll be stuck with Windows anyway.

Last week at school I got a chance to work with an iMac again. And it was a wopping...24" screen with a resolution 1920x1200-ish-something. Nice screen resolution, lots of workspace. So I tried Photoshop with some big files (5000x5000 and such) and it wasn't really noticably faster than my laptop, while the specs were actually better than my lappy. Still don't see a 700 dollar difference between Windows vs Mac. That and I'm just loving my Windows 7, compared to the fiddling around in OSX (granted, you will probably get used to it after a while, just like I got used to W7)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well 3dsMax won't work on a Mac unless you use something such as BootCamp. So in the end, you'll be stuck with Windows anyway.

Last week at school I got a chance to work with an iMac again. And it was a wopping...24" screen with a resolution 1920x1200-ish-something. Nice screen resolution, lots of workspace. So I tried Photoshop with some big files (5000x5000 and such) and it wasn't really noticably faster than my laptop, while the specs were actually better than my lappy. Still don't see a 700 dollar difference between Windows vs Mac. That and I'm just loving my Windows 7, compared to the fiddling around in OSX (granted, you will probably get used to it after a while, just like I got used to W7)
this year i am goinng to studi grafic desing and also i got a chance to work with an iMac,but i never work in mac ,is hard?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's like Windows, just a different environment, so you'll have to get used to locating a couple of things as they are in different places. But with some common sense, and knowledge of Windows, you will have no problems with it at all.

ESF Team - Env Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
Best answers
I dont want it for gaming, I want it for work, 3d, photoshop, corel painter etc, which macs are brilliant for.
Macs excel at 2D applications, but they're not as good at 3D. In either case, you're paying a very high premium for name of the product. You could build an identical system in PC components that would be at least $500 cheaper.

Macs have their place (I used one for video editing and it was pimp), but they are very expensive for being useful in such a small scope.

A Windows 7 notebook would suite your needs perfectly, imo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom