Macbook Pro... hmm?

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, im considering getting one, it'd be my "digital" sketchbook as it were. I'm just wondering if anyone has much experience with them? and if anyone knows how much a knockon effect a wacom has on the battery life?

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
i'd advise you to get an ordinary dell or hp or compaq or ..... laptop instead of mac's .
They're too expensive and imho for their price they don't really offer anything you can't get on other cheaper laptops...

this is just my opinion and my advice

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Keep the "I hate mac's!" comments to yourselves, I'd like people with at least half a brain to reply please.

I dont want it for gaming, I want it for work, 3d, photoshop, corel painter etc, which macs are brilliant for.

Back from the shadows
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Pixar uses Mac's to create and render most of their beautiful creations.
I've had a little experience with Macs in the past, and while they're not good for gaming, they are certainly far more powerful machines in the graphic design area.

So yeah, Mac all the way.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
mac's work pretty well, but it's true that they are alot more expensive. and there isnt a program on mac that wont work on a pc.

so, yeah, i agree with that plow dude.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Keep the "I hate mac's!" comments to yourselves, I'd like people with at least half a brain to reply please.

I dont want it for gaming, I want it for work, 3d, photoshop, corel painter etc, which macs are brilliant for.
whoa whoa... no need for insults. I don't hate mac's or apple, i was only trying to give you some advice. Mac's might be great in the media/art department but for half of the money you plan on spending for a macbook you can get a laptop with same or even higher specs that will work just as well

most if not all of the programs that work with mac work with the PC too without any problems and with the same efficency including photoshop,corel and others.

Mac's are good looking and might have fewer problems but in my opinion their price is just too high, especially if you need it for work only. Macbooks are mostly media machines designed to keep your typical student happy

Best answers
I think a Mac is perfect for the Stuff you want it for, i´m saving my money atm to get one too but 2.3k euro is pretty much money, even if you have a job.

You are right, you can have a better laptop for cheaper money, but windows itself needs more resources then mac os with photoshop, dreamweaver and openoffice loaded.

I might change my mind when Windows 7 comes out and proofs to be worth a shot, but atm i want a macbook for my work too.

About your battery Question: Sorry can´t help you with that one.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm doing a graphic study myself, and more than half of my class loves their Mac's. And I just don't understand why.

They are overly expensive (even my teachers say so, you're buying the design, not the specifications). Supposedly they have less problems than Windows based machines, however, I have yet to encounter any serious problems with my Windows laptop. It's not that they are faster (in fact, for the same money you can buy a higher specced Windows based laptop).

Most people do say they can work faster and more productive with their Mac though, I have yet see any differences at all. In the end, it is just your own preference.

I'm not gonna jump on the whole "Mac's suck" bandwagon. It is your decision, personally, I wouldn't spend the extra money on it, and would rather buy a Build-to-order concept laptop.

Now on your Wacom problem, I have yet to buy one myself for my laptop, but I do think you shouldn't draw to much when using your laptop on batteries. I think they suck quite a bit of power, and you are better of using your laptop for viewing/typing purposes only when on batteries.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
whoa whoa... no need for insults. I don't hate mac's or apple, i was only trying to give you some advice. Mac's might be great in the media/art department but for half of the money you plan on spending for a macbook you can get a laptop with same or even higher specs that will work just as well
Sorry, wasn't really directed at you :p more toward the no macs screen.

I understand what you're trying to say, and I'm kinda conflicted with the decision between mac and something like a dell myself. Thing is I love the mac operating system, its less troublesome than windows, and I remember working on macs at college how smooth and efficient they were at running programs like photoshop. I mean, a machine with less than half the spec I have atm on my pc, ran bigger resolution files/used more complicated tools with less lag than my current machine, which is kind of frustrating.

Almost every graphic designer/digital artist I know swears by them, I'm not 100% certain why, but I do know I was very satisfied using them at college, with my only complaint being a lack of right click.

Kinda blows that Wacom eats up battery time though, cuz I'd love to take it out with me and do some sketching where-ever I am.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
A Mac is good if you use Photoshop and such. I dont like Macs personally but They are good for Design. If you are ever sent to Full Sail Technical College you get a Free Mac with Photoshop and 3DS Max. Its a great laptop at that.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers

I understand what you're trying to say, and I'm kinda conflicted with the decision between mac and something like a dell myself. Thing is I love the mac operating system, its less troublesome than windows, and I remember working on macs at college how smooth and efficient they were at running programs like photoshop. I mean, a machine with less than half the spec I have atm on my pc, ran bigger resolution files/used more complicated tools with less lag than my current machine, which is kind of frustrating.

Almost every graphic designer/digital artist I know swears by them, I'm not 100% certain why, but I do know I was very satisfied using them at college, with my only complaint being a lack of right click.

Kinda blows that Wacom eats up battery time though, cuz I'd love to take it out with me and do some sketching where-ever I am.
k man... good luck with your purchase, whatever you choose will probably be the best choice for yourself

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

That's where pencil and paper comes in. No but seriously, I don't know much about battery times of Mac's. For all I know, they are pretty good, and you can draw for quite some time. I mean, if the Mac can work under normal circumstances for like 4 hours, I don't think the Wacom would take more than 30 minutes to an hour off that number. And even that is speculation.

If you really think Mac's work faster and smoother, and you have the money to spare, then just go for it. You won't be dissappointed with a product you already know, right?

On a sidenote though, maybe you will want to have a look at the Lenovo Thinkpad W700? Workstation laptop, designed for graphical design. Has a workstation graphicscard (Quadro N2700 I think)...AND.....an integrated Wacom tablet(!). Might be interesting to look for more information on it. Saves you from having to carry your tablet with you.

In the meantime, I'll try to look for some more information on battery times with Wacom tablets attached to your lappy.

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I'd say, if you can afford it, get a Mac, or even better, try to get a used one. Will probably cost less, and if you're satisfied with the specs, you'll have no problem whatsoever (and I think you can get a used one with the specs you're looking for.).

Also, I asked my dad, (who is, by the way, a programmer since 20-30 years ago) and he said that in his experience (keep in mind that he doesn't game) it's superior to the PC, and the only setback is that it's way more expensive.

So if you have the cash, my advice is get it.

🌠 Staff
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Got a MBP 15" of the new generation. Can play nearly all games. I'm also uses photoshop and i can't say anything bad. By using photoshop just with battery you can use it for 2 - 6 hours. (Bluetooth on/off, W-LAN, brightness, ..).

I can't say anything bad against mac. And i also have a pc. Go in a Mac-Shop try it out.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im more on the they cost to damn much wagon myself.

Si if i was buying something like that id go for a PC with a good linux OS.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Im more on the they cost to damn much wagon myself.

Si if i was buying something like that id go for a PC with a good linux OS.
Then I wonder; how good does Linux work with Photoshop and such?

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Probably not to great. Though there are some linux systems that can run any windows program up to DX8 as far as i know.

Linux has mostly its own programs with the same functions as the major windows art programs. Heck Gimp is preety decent for drawing and there is probably more. While its a bit more work in itself using a Linux PC is defenitly cheaper than using a mac.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Gimp is pretty decent, sure, but it is nowhere near CS4 in terms of capabilities.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I want it for things like 3dsmax, zbrush, corel painter, photoshop etc... so an operating system that cant do them would prettymuch make it a waist of time :p

Well, I'm not going to rush into anything just yet, looking at my options, but after reading quite a few reviews mac seems to be in the lead. I dont mind the price, since I can get my hands on a student code, and I'd pay it monthly, not going to slam £1300 on the table just yet.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom