Mac

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
What's a mac? [/sarcasm kthx]

No, but seriously, Macs are junk. They can run UNIX, though. !_!

KyoKusanagi

K
Quote:
Macs are junk - Kurt

Agreed - the best system for multimedia? who the heck edits videos and images with just one mouse button?

Hsu

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What I find funny is how many of you are dissing the mac just because of what other people say. I have had to work with them for a year and YES they are SO much better for video and image editting. So to all you who say "OMFG MACS SUCKZORZ O_O" you can shut the hell up because you have no clue what you are talking about.

Also the video is old and was funny the first 3 times someone posted it.

Retired Forum Staff
Best answers
*coughs*

Well I found it funny.. o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hsu said:
What I find funny is how many of you are dissing the mac just because of what other people say. I have had to work with them for a year and YES they are SO much better for video and image editting. So to all you who say "OMFG MACS SUCKZORZ O_O" you can shut the hell up because you have no clue what you are talking about.

All the mac fans get very irritated when people cap on them. I've used both, so I'm speaking from experience. Any machine where it not only ****s up and erases your disk, but won't spit it out after because of GUI flaws, does not impress me.

It LOOKS like it's better for video and sound editing, but that is primarily because its GUIs are visually optimized. It definitely looks nicer while your doing it...

...but speaking from experience, that guy is a professional video editor, and he says it sucks. I'm going to take his word for it, if nobody minds too much. I also have friends who work for Avid who despise the Mac as well...and a friend who runs a recording business that uses them, and loves them, but regularly complains that he loses files and things get damaged all the time. So...I'm going to take that, and take my own experiences, and just run with them.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
I've used Macs before, so I'm speaking from experience... actually, I defiled Quake 3 Arena by playing it on a Mac. º_º

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Macs are great when it comes to video and photo work. Pretty much what they're designed to do. Also good for someone who doesn't get computers very well, has no plans to learn about them any further than internet and email.

-Karrde-

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ppl say macs are better for editing video and stuff, but it can be done just as easy/ better with a normal pc.

firewire for example. you can pick up a firewire port wherever for like 100 bucks

plus imovie sucks

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
imovie is one of the programs that ate our mockumentary project. 40 gigs of footage...corrupted. However, Karrde is right--if you want to shell out 3 grand for a computer with 2400x1600 resolution that looks pretty in its operating environment, compliments your furniture's appearance, "looks cool," and you don't plan on doing much of anything besides mp3s and web pages, then you're golden.

Now just to let people understand, I'm not saying that the macs are bad machines. There are just a lot of things I don't like about them. Lacking compatibility...stupid-ass interface and folder layout...terrible, terrible idea of having a binary locational file system as its base. I have also had a lot worse experiences with Macs then PCs, but the simple fact is, you have to be a lot more educated to get the most out of a PC.

That's why I like PCs more--they tend to reward people who care more about them (i.e. improving your framerate via tweaking a card's settings), and reprimand people who don't (i.e. dumbass brats who download photoshop off of kazaa getting mad malware, spyware, and viruses).

I never like anything that was "dumbed down" (read: gamecube). lol

And, like I said...I've personally experienced EVERYTHING that guy has said.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I use Avid for video editing is freaking awesome....I use Vegas too for video editing and Macs are kinda good for some photo work and video editing I tried it myself I wasn't dissapointed but im more obssesed in Avid so much things you can do.I wonder why people who haven't use a Mac talk so much crap about it..TRY ALL OF ITS FUNCTIONS THEN TYPE ALL THE CRAP YOU WANT.This goes to the Mac n00bs.

Best answers
Hsu said:

Yeah except that's not really true at all. Don't tell anyone to shut the hell up if you don't know what your talking about to begin with. I've used macs, my mother has a Mac laptop (OSX), I've used it, and I think it sucks (period). You can go ahead and assume that everyone here is a mac noob, since your mod ego would most likely tell you that. Sure, it's great for work, but seeing as how I don't have a major career in film editing right now, I'll stick to Windows.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Tassadar said:
since your mod ego...

...I'll stick to Windows.
Erm, he's an admin. º_º

Windows isn't the only PC OS. You have Linux, UNIX, Sun Solaris, etc. etc. and all of those have their own video editing software as well. (generally open-source free software)

KyoKusanagi

K
Ive done enough movie making arts courses at uni and spent enough time using macs at school to make an definitive statement on the absolute farce that is macs - pressure sensitive mice, lack of mouse buttons, abysmal screen layout (e.g. taskbar won't get out of the friggin way), lack of upgrades available, price and low software support in terms of games.

Oh and incase you want to know i used Final Cut Pro to edit my movie only to have it screw up my assignment - i ended up having to finish the assignment on a PC with Adobe Premier.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Having taken some hardware engineering courses while in college, I can safely say that the mac is definately a niche machine.

RISC proccessing has lost all of it's luster now that CISC is out of control.

50 lines of incremental add commands in assembler < 1 line of mult in assembler.

PC will continue to own Macintosh in almost every department, except for stability (unless you are running Linux), and at that, XP is frighteningly stable for a MS OS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom