Looking for a heavily plot based Japanese RPG

Force Pit Member
Best answers
So in the last week I thought to myself what I want to play and I concluded that I want to play another JRPG.

I really loved Xenogears and Chrono trigger. I am looking for something more like Xenogears - complex, with philophic concepts(not a must though, its not that common), full of twists, lots of dialogues. I want more story than gameplay in that manner.

It is important that it will be SNES/PS1 only type of game and not the newer PS2 and up timeline games.

thank you!

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Have you played Terraria? Its for SNES. Brilliant RPG, though it could be just nostalgia speaking.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
The Final Fantasy-series? Played through 1-9? Those are on Snes/PS1. I wish I knew more so that I could hit you up! If you haven't played the Final Fantasy series I would go for VII, VI, VIII, IX, V, in that order! :D

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Why don't you just go play Xenosaga, Xenogears spiritual successor. Huge open world and the same depth to plot as JRPGs have.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you don't mind PSone graphics, I say Legend of Dragoon or Jade Cacoon

Resting in H.E.L.L
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, play Xenosaga on the PS2. An emulator out there for it, but you need a strong computer for that.

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Chrono Cross.

The spiritual successor to Chrono Trigger. Heavily plot based and with round 30 characters you can have for your party XD

Force Pit Member
Best answers
I never played Chrono Cross! But I just thought of another Squaresoft game, Vagrant Story! Good story in that one! But the combat is quite "active".

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I still stick by Chrono Trigger and Secret of Mana being the 2 best RPG's on the SNES.. SoM if you haven't played:

http://youtu.be/KBNSJKJxWI4

Started out with one character, no magic.. got 2 more party members along the way.. tons of weapons + as you found orbs you could upgrade them, and as you used them, your character would level their skill with that weapon up, allowing you to do charged attacks.. was also if I recall correctly, the only SNES game to support 3 player co-op (provided you had a multi-tap). Amazing soundtrack, good story, and if you're planning on playing on an emulator, you can play it co-op with a friend online. . . obviously I love this game. That being said, it's not for everyone. The ring interface seemed to be a 'love it' or 'hate it' deal. I was on the love end.

There was also Parasite Eve 1 (PS1)
Alundra (RPG, kinda played like LoZ:ALttP)

Few others I can't think of atm.. I'll let ya know though :D

Force Pit Member
Best answers
im thinking of getting xenosaga, anymore ideas?

edit:

Why don't you just go play Xenosaga, Xenogears spiritual successor. Huge open world and the same depth to plot as JRPGs have.

Same? I think xenogears had more, I hope xenosaga doesnt fail

Like a Boss? :O
🌠 Staff
🌈 Beta Tester
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Hmm.. may enjoy Secret of Mana 2 more then the first, more of a turn based style.. more the speed of Xenogears by the looks.

✔️ HL Verified
Discord Member
Best answers
Late realization but thought I would mention it anyway.
I meant Terrangima not Terraria derp. 'Tis for the SNES, and you would prolly enjoy it :V

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Final Fantasy VII.

Now with Kung-Fu action!
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could give the Fire Emblem series a try. The fourth and fifth titles have a decent amount of plot. They're SRPG's though, so I'm not sure how much you'll like them.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Till now my favorite is Tales of Phantasia for the GBA. I loved its plot and I loved its characters. And the best part is, I loved its gameplay even more.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oooooh, Golden Sun 1 & 2 were great. Especially with Walkthroughs. Collecting every Djiin was fun.

Force Pit Member
Best answers
alright im getting Suikoden 2 ATM, is it a wise choice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom