Lesser Known Animes

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I decided to make this thread, because I noticed..

Tons of people watch Naruto, but miss out on these other equally good, if not potentially better, animes.

So I decided to make a list of the top 3 animes I've watched in the past year, and open up this thread for discussion about any of them, if any of you have watched them, and what your opinions are on them.

Last Exile, 26 Episodes

Last Exile is a little hard to describe. It's about 2 teenagers--a navigator and a pilot, for their 'Vanship.' They live in a world with a MASSIVE imbalance of wealth and power, similar to the Serfdom and Monarchies of Europe's past.

They run random jobs for people--they're basically "postal mercenaries for hire."

The anime ends up in a far different place then it starts.

This anime, I rate 5/5

One Piece--95 Episodes and Counting

One Piece might sound simple at first, and the animation style might seem a little silly, at first--but it's one of the most funny and entertaining animes in awhile.

One Piece is about a teenager named Luffy who wants to become a Pirate.
It takes place in a world where, 20 years ago, the most famous Pirate ever to live was executed, and announced: "You can have all my treasure if you want, I left it in that place!" and piracy was rampant, the world entered the "Grand age of Pirates" as people search for Gold Roger(the pirate)'s treasure, dubbed 'One Piece.'

Luffy is starting out on his own, and starts looking for a crew to sail to the Grand Line, the most dangerous ocean (reputed to be One Piece's location).

I rate this anime 4/5.

Hunter x Hunter--62 episodes, 16 OVAs and Counting

Hunter X Hunter is about a boy named Gon. His mother died shortly after his birth, and his aunt took custody away from his father, because he was somewhat reckless and irresponsible.

Gon's in the forest one day, and a Hunter saves him from a huge cat/bear like creature, and recognizes that his (the Hunter's) master is Gon's father--Jin Freaks.

Gon's aunt had told him his father was dead, and with the new-found knowledge that his father was alive and somewhere in the world, he decided to set out to try and become a Hunter himself.

Hunters are basically the 'elite citizens' of the world--having a passport that allows them to travel pretty much anywhere, borrow large sums of money, ride in blimps/trains in first class for free, etc. There's many types of Hunters.

This anime 'ends up' (Far from over, though) in a FAR different place then it starts. Just so you know.

I rate this anime 5/5.

--------------------------------------------

If you've seen any of these, I'd be interested in hearing what you have to say about them, and whether you'd recommend them to other people.

Best answers
Last Exile was good, I found that the characters were well developed and overly likable. Can't say I have seen or would want to see the others only because I find that anime with episodes that range in the 40+ grow stale, slow paced, and highly repetitive.

EDIT:

To anyone that likes shorter series I would recommend Haibane Renmei myself.

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd have to say Last Exile has the best character development out of any of them. Last Exile is definitely the most depressing of the three. One Piece would be the 'happiest,' and Hunter X Hunter would be the most "exciting."

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Samurai Pizza Cats - pwnage i dont think more needs to be said i mean u got the cats who deliver pizza and are samurai that combo is just pwnage to the max

Daiguard - Robot Alchemic Drive the anime? looks like it who doesnt love the giant robot pwnage

Best answers
Hibiki said:
Samurai Pizza Cats - pwnage i dont think more needs to be said i mean u got the cats who deliver pizza and are samurai that combo is just pwnage to the max
That show was the best.

I might try watching some of these, and Majin Krillin, I like long series better, its just personal preference I guess. I find if its only 40 eps I think "what the hell, they should have made more."

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Last Exile is awesome. Saw the first few episodes well over a year ago, saw the rest of it last fall, and I am collecting the DVDs :p I only buy really good shows :p Let's see though. Lesser known stuff.

My steadfast reccomendation is always Haibane Remei.

13 episodes, very heavy on character developement. Most of the main characters are female (with the exception of Washi and Hyouko). The characters are called Haibane (Charcoal/ash feather). They all have small wings and the show is very heavy drama. It's exceptionally emotional including really depressing parts and really happy parts. All DVDs are out. This show gets a 5/5 from me any day.

Something that a lot of viewers probably aren't familiar with (due to age as well as due to it's completly borked US release) is Revolutionary Girl Utena.

37 episodes, it's kinda classic shoujo (from the same director as sailor moon) but the story is very mature and serious. The basic plot revolves around duelists who fight to win the "rose bride" which is a person tied to something which is vaguley referred to as "the end of the world". It tends to be really surreal and uses a lot of metaphor as well as a lot of really quirky humor, which can be really, really funny. All DVDs are out. 5/5 easy.

-Karrde-

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Shoujo Kakumei Utena is pretty good. I didn't include it, because it's semi-old.

You're right, Takeuchi Naoko wrote the manga and directed the anime, just like Bishoujo Senshi Sailormoon.

It's pretty good. A few too many "lesbian" themes (guess she wasn't satisfied with Neptune and Uranus) for my taste, but overall it's pretty good. Excellent musical score, voiceacting and animation, as well as a good story.

Best answers
What about that anime FLCL? Even though it had only 7 episodes, it was still pretty good...for some strange reason.

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
FLCL isn't lesser known. It's been on CN. As for Utena, a lot of the themes were to the point of taking other period anime to task for simply portraying women as sex objects, hence the lesbian themse and the pointless fan service in the photo shoot scenes while important dramatic dialogue was going on :p

-Karrde-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hunter x hunter... i never watched it but i did like one of the winamp skins they had of killua

and that's how i came up with the screen name killua p0m because the winamp skin was called killua "piece of mind"

yea.. cool

🍂 Regular
Best answers
I only saw a few episodes of Hunter X Hunter I like the Manga of Hunter X Hunter better then the anime (this is the only time I like a manga better then the anime) the manga of Hunter X Hunter is bigger then the anime, and the anime OVAs are actually part of the story line in the manga...

I'd like to put Great Teacher Onizuka (GTO) in the list, it's an extremely good anime but not extremely well known, GTO is still the best anime I have ever seen yet to day, for more information click this link

Best answers
NeLo said:
What about that anime FLCL? Even though it had only 7 episodes, it was still pretty good...for some strange reason.
7 eps? I thought there were only 6...

Anyways, FLCL sounds pretty good. I'm gonna get it sometime soon. Weird stuff has always appealed to me.

I'm also following Gundam Seed right now... a little confusing at first, but that's what rewatching episodes is for.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Excel saga.

Its pretty well known though and it's out on dvd to buy.

Its about an organisation called Across who are aiming to take over the city of F. And.. thats about it. Very wack, wackness comparable with FLCL. I mean, any anime where the main character dies in ep1 is gonna be good :p

Best answers
I have seen One Piece and I enjoyed it.
One of my favorites I've seen recently are El Hazard and Arjuna.
I've never seen those mentioned above maybe because they don't show that much animes in Germany, yet.

Best answers
Ryoko said:
Excel saga.

Its pretty well known though and it's out on dvd to buy.

Its about an organisation called Across who are aiming to take over the city of F. And.. thats about it. Very wack, wackness comparable with FLCL. I mean, any anime where the main character dies in ep1 is gonna be good :p
heh... i agree (for people who havnt seen it the main character dies atleast 5 times in just the first episode making it a very "interesting.." anime

Best answers
Hmmmm... that DOES sound interesting. As soon as I get all Naruto eps released so far I might have a crack at it.

Anyways, I'm finally getting all eps of FLCL. I'm looking forward to it's reputed weirdness.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
El Hazard was a pretty cool anime. A buddy of mine would rent tapes of that from his local library. o_O

Slayers? I'm not sure if it falls under the 'lesser known' category, but I do know that the only way I was able to watch it was on the International Channel. It wasn't too popular of an anime, I believe.

GTO? Ha. #1 on my list. :yes:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I wouldn't call One Piece lesserknown at all....

Pwns Mastasurf at TF2
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ah, I thought of something else. A lot of people probably haven't heard of Kaze no Yojimbo. I've only seen 2 eps but it's got a really great story, and animation. Kinda a show about a loner so far.

-Karrde-

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom