LEGO Formula 1 Car WIP

Best answers
i think he used boolean for the holes, its an modifier i can show you how to do it catch me on msn

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes, booleans shall set you free. Rhino is simply the best program I've used for drafting type applications. It's somewhat weaker when it comes to organics, but with such a friendly, easy to learn interface, I'll get over it. Plus, the grid doesn't change as you zoom in and out, it is constant, but controllable from the options in terms of units, gridlines, and snap spacing.

To get holes like that, I made a box (the block) then a couple cylinders the will become the hole. Then I perform a BooleanDifference and the cylinders are taken out of the block (like a bite from a cookie). When the sphere on the right is subtracted from the cube, the shape on the right results. See?

Here is a picture of the wires as I see them while I'm working.

And here is the mesh Rhino creates from it when I go to do a render. It has 5925 polys, and that's on a fairly low quality because there are a ton of bricks to render and I don't want the computer spending all day just making meshes.

No progress since I last updated. I've been told by the Rhino gurus that I need to restart the assembly and use instances of the shapes rather than having each block as a seperate entity. It keeps the file size down and makes Rhino run faster (rather than it's current glacial pace). I'll do it tonight, when I get up, but now I'm going to bed; I've been awake for nearly 24 hours.

Booleans shall set you free! Unless you're doing organics...

Edit: NP, Ravven. Just a note though. I'm working during the week and I'm engrossed in WoW the rest of the time. I'll start on this again Saturday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom