Lag bug when looking @ a certain spot in the map

Best answers
okay here's the deal: when in some maps (of wich esf_forest is a certainty) you look over to a certain place and the game becomes all laggy....this always happens in ESF_forest (wich i know i reported) but it also happens in ESF_cellgames(-night) sometimes. if its not a bug....then tell me how to get rid of this :p

Bolteh2

B
get a new graphics card.. they "lag" youre experiencing = framedrops

Best answers
newsflash: i just got a new one :-O
and im sure it aint a videocard problem coz it happens on mine, my friends' (wich is a geforce4) and my older pc with a 16 mb vid card :p

but ive found out that buu candy's that remain after a battle for quite some time can cause this lag as well!!!!!
(can be solved by going to the candy and eating of course.!!!!)

Bolteh2

B
halflife engine is 6 years old... the esf maps are huge, the engine cant handle all those polygons drawn on the maps and the models... its just framedrops.. if it isnt from your gfx card, its from the game itself

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
it can also be your ram space or the hd speed.

Fumoffu!
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mystacx said:
okay here's the deal: when in some maps (of wich esf_forest is a certainty) you look over to a certain place and the game becomes all laggy....this always happens in ESF_forest (wich i know i reported) but it also happens in ESF_cellgames(-night) sometimes. if its not a bug....then tell me how to get rid of this :p
This is a known problem/bug in the game with Steam. For some odd reason, when you look at a certain place from a certain point in esf_forest, Steam starts creating screenshots by the micro-second*10. You should find tons of screenshots in your ESF folder. You experience the drop in frame-rates and the lag because of the high hard-disk activity which comes from writing so many screenshots (which is a couple megs in size each [bmp]) to disk.

The team is aware of this problem, and we are trying to find a solution to it.

Bolteh said:
get a new graphics card.. they "lag" youre experiencing = framedrops
Bolteh said:
halflife engine is 6 years old... the esf maps are huge, the engine cant handle all those polygons drawn on the maps and the models... its just framedrops.. if it isnt from your gfx card, its from the game itself
This problem has nothing to do with the user's graphics cards or the game's engine.

Best answers
meh....thnx for the info groovy.
i was starting to wonder since my entire pc is new.
(p4 2.8ghz, 512MB ram, 128MB vid card, 80gig HD):p

uhmz....i just checked my esf directory....and the HL dir, and the valve 1, and there is only 1 screenshot (wich was made by me :S).

Bolteh2

B
i repeat myself;.. its the high r_speeds that create the framedrops on the engine;.

pssshhh, screenshots..; the dude only has one screenshot in his folder -_-

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Bolteh said:
i repeat myself;.. its the high r_speeds that create the framedrops on the engine;.

pssshhh, screenshots..; the dude only has one screenshot in his folder -_-
No, I played that map for a few seconds and looked where the frame drop was. Exited out and 48 screenshots.

Bolteh2

B
eh says he doesnt have screenshots, except for one.. and he took that one himself -_-

Best answers
well....new development....it seems (for some weird reason) that my esf deletes all the screenshots made by the problem mentioned by groovy.

so the screenshots do exist, but the are deleted as soon as i quit ESF.
and no, i have no clue as to WHY it would do that.:p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
grOOvy said:
This is a known problem/bug in the game with Steam. For some odd reason, when you look at a certain place from a certain point in esf_forest, Steam starts creating screenshots by the micro-second*10. You should find tons of screenshots in your ESF folder. You experience the drop in frame-rates and the lag because of the high hard-disk activity which comes from writing so many screenshots (which is a couple megs in size each [bmp]) to disk.

The team is aware of this problem, and we are trying to find a solution to it.

This problem has nothing to do with the user's graphics cards or the game's engine.
actually groovy it's not a problem with steam, this happened to me when i had esf on won before. even in won this happened, so most likely it's the map that makes it's own screenshots and not steam

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom