LAG and FPS, there IS a difference

Best answers
This may be commmon knowledge to some or most of you, but I see a LOT of people confuse the two. I wrote this for everybody, but the mods might want to move it to Newbie Central.

For future reference, here is the definition and difference between LAG and FPS LOSS.

LAG: More accurately known as PACKET LOSS. Basically, when you are playing, the server is sending you little packets of information, a lot like text files, updating things for you(like if a player is moving, how far away that spirit bomb is, who is charging a kame, ets.) You are also sending the server packets of info, detailing what you are doing. When it LAGS, it means that either the server or your computer is not recieveing data packets. When your computer is losing packets, the game will freeze, displaying the update the last packet had. When you stop lagging, players will appear to warp becuase the update you just recieved is drastically different than the one you had before you started lagging. When the server is losing packets, you will be able to play the game as normal, but everyone else will appear frozen. THAT is lag.

FPS LOSS: This has nothing, I repeat NOTHING to do with LAG. FPS LOSS is caused by your computer not having enough processor power, vid card power, or volume of RAM to handle what is going on in the game. If someone makes a Goku model with 2 million polygons, you game will become choppy because the model is too detailed, not because your internet connection is having fits.

Summary: LAG = connection problems
FPS DROPS= computer problems

Some of you may be wondering; if ESF requires all those packets(updates), how can the game possibly play so smoothly? Well there are 2 reasons, and we are going to learn another term.

1) PING: Im sure everyone is familiar with this word, but if you are not, next time you are playing ESF, hold tab and look at the last collumn on the right. It should be labelled PING. The number under that collumn in the row of your name is your PING. PING is how many thousandths, that right THOUSANDTHS, of a second it takes for your computer to send a packet to the server, then for the server to send a packet back to your computer. Think about that, THOUSANDTHS of a second. This is also why ping is such a huge advantage in head on melee. If someone with a ping of 50 is in a head on with someone whos ping is 100, the odds of the 50 guy winning are twice as good, or 50% better, minus whatever randomness there is. It is also the reason why there is such a huge difference in how well a game plays; a person with a ping of 150 will experience gameplay 3x as lagged as someone with a ping of 50.

2) Now no matter how low your PING is, you will always have packet loss. Sometimes the packet just doesn't get to your computer, or to the server, or both. This used to cause skips in gameplay, but Valve implemented a packet loss compensation system in Half-Life. If I understand correctly(please correct me if I am wrong), if it detects that there has been a packet loss, it will look at the last 2 packets and create another packet out of the average of those 2. Complicated to write, but once you understand it will be simple.

Any questions or corrections?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
System related stuff interferes/messes with connection stuff sometimes (Depending on system)

Best answers
Originally posted by Mr. Satan
System related stuff interferes/messes with connection stuff sometimes (Depending on system)
But these interferences are so minor they might as well not exist, and are usually casued by user error anyway(faulty settings, other programs running, etc.).

Best answers
RAM and the Video Card you have can effect you a lot in-game

Best answers
cool to know..thnx alot for the info i didn't know all this!!

Best answers
1 Correction, ping shows thousandths of seconds, not millionths. 1000 ping is 1 full second delay. everything else is pretty much on the money. Also its important to note that a great video card won't help you if you don't have the proper processor and board to push it. If you have a amd 500 mhz and an ati 9700 pro, my amd athon 1000 and a geforce 2 can out perform you. Make sure you've got the right gas for your engine if you get my drift.

Best answers
No, ping is is ms, millionths of a second, which is the average of the server and client individul pings. The server/client pings are in thousandths, that is probably what you mean.

Best answers
i sure hope the radeon 9700 ATI card im getting will help me out on my 933 mhz 512 ram ccomp? (current card is GeForce 2)

Moving with Sonic Speed
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

(Image curtesy of Gman)

And no, miliseconds do not represent millionths of seconds. They represent thousanths of seconds. Just like nano seconds represent millionths of seconds, if I'm not mistaken. Trust me, the next time you are in a server with a ping of 1000, see if it doesn't take a full second for any of your commands to get through to the server.

Best answers
sonic that wasnt nice, i was looking for feedback to see if it would help=\

Best answers
Zilea I think that pic was aimed at me, and what I would do if I were u is trade in your motherboard/processor, take the graphics card money and the mobo/proc money and get a nice mobo with a 1.8g proc or up, and a nice GF4 Ti card. That will be your most efficent use of money. Oh, and what kind of RAM, if it's not DDR you shouldn't bother with a new card, just spend the extra on DDR RAM for your new mobo(or RAMBUS if you can afford it).

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
is rd ram better then ddr ram ??

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Yes. Rambus RIMMs don't suffer bottlenecks in performance with high processor clock speeds, DDR does.

Best answers
Originally posted by Zilea
i sure hope the radeon 9700 ATI card im getting will help me out on my 933 mhz 512 ram ccomp? (current card is GeForce 2)
Well it may increase your fps rate some, but to get a real increase you want to increase your cpu and ram. I have a cpu twice the fast as yours and a gig of ram. My video card on the other hand, the ati radeon 7200, is matched up against the geforce 2 line. I get max fps mostly, sometimes on large maps I may get a small decrease. Rember, if your cpu isnt fast enough, its gonna limit that card you spent 300 dollars on.

Best answers
oh thanks

im getting a new comp in september,it's gonna be a p4 1.8 ghz
i might transfer my RAM

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom