Katrina takes a toll on Gas...

Best answers
Heard somewhere that gas is up to 7 dollars. x.x

I think its chicago or something I'm not sure... but

7 dollars!

That is alot of money.

It costs about 60 dollars to get a full tak down at Mass.

Really sucks for my parents but hey I won't be driving for another year before I really need to worry about it :/

G-Bear
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
Discord Member
Best answers
Zeonix said:
Oil isnt a renewable resource. It would take thousands, perhaps millions of years before we'd be able to get some more oil if it ran out. People use oil like crazy because everyone thinks we have an unlimited supply of it. Reality Check: Gas prices are going up everywhere because there isnt enough (or it could be because the Saudis hate everyone).

And yeah. Screw hybrids.
Oil is producable :x

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If it was so easy to produce, we wouldnt need to buy it from foreign countries. The amount we are able to produce is nowhere near enough to sustain our country, which brings me back to the whole "buying oil from foreign countries" thing.

Best answers
OMFG! Gas price is 1.43 Euros here(Finland) But its starting to rise again...
Just my luck, when i finally get a car things like this happens! :mad:

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Democracy is a fairy tale until people actually start to excercise their rights.
absolutely ive been saying this ever since i learned what democracy was

EDIT: i found out my dad just leased a hybrid o_O

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@_@

These retarded gas prices make me feel grateful for my visual impairment that inhibits my ability to drive. By law, I am not allowed to drive because I don't see enough.

It'll save me a ton of money and frustration in the end, I think.

(Gotta look on the bright side of everything, folks.)

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Devion said:
First of all, the water atom aka H, is the smallest/lightest atom know to mankind, it leaks through everything.

You can make a combination with Barium, but it's unstable and toxic.

Also it cost more effort to make Hydrogen then it will give in return.

Last but not least, you can make it a liquid, which makes it easier to contain, but you keep the temperature under -253 celcius, 20,27 Kelvin or -423 Fahrenheit.(Which can be done under high pressure)
Egads, I haven't actually posted or read in this thread at all since the hurricane. I was expecting sillyness, but I'm dissapointed at how much there is.

Water is not an atom, it is a molecule of two Hydrogen and one Oxygen atoms. Hydrogen is the smallest, lightest atom period, they will never find anything smaller than one proton and one electron that could still be called an atom. Hydrogen can be seperated from water with some electricity and two different metal electrodes, sounds pretty easy to store it. The major concern is hydrogen's explosive nature, flammible gases and flames are bad. No one would dream of storing liquid hydrogen . . . that's one of the fuels we use on the space shuttle.

Someone mentioned the untapped US reserves . . . it's called the TACTICAL reserve for a reason, it's meant to fuel our war machines in the event that the United States needs to get fuel to our military. In case you missed it in the news, the United States is at war, tapping that reserve is not an option.

I don't give a **** about loosing the loop, or all the refineries, or all the grain.

That being said, it's time to say my piece.

I'm appalled that no one cares about all the lives that were lost. We had a 25 foot wave fall on a city that was below sea level accompanied by a catagory 5 hurricane. That's only 5 feet smaller than the Tsunami, yet no other country has lifted a finger to aid us.

You always hear that Americans are greedy, lazy and troublesome. But we are the first ones there in any other situation. Disaster brings out the best in us, prodding us to open our hearts, and yeah, our wallets. I personally sent money to the Tsunami victims, and I will be sending needed medical supplies to the New Orleans area via the company I work for. The best part is, I don't have that money, but I will send it to do something for them. My question is, where is the rest of the damn world? Thousands of people died, my countrymen and women, and their children.

Still, people whine about gas prices when you could be dying of thirst and heat exposure surrounded by crazy people with guns. Shame on you all. It seems to me you are worrying about the wrong things at the wrong time.

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who lives on the gulf coast, though you are unlikely to see this untill power and internet are restored (and probably your house).

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's looking better now. gas went down to 3.17

Edit:

didn't read cuc's post untill after i posted
Cucatoth said:
Still, people whine about gas prices when you could be dying of thirst and heat exposure surrounded by crazy people with guns. Shame on you all. It seems to me you are worrying about the wrong things at the wrong time.
I have family in the new orleans area *gorretti park* to be exact. I am too worrying about the victims as I have lots of friends that I call family as well. From Mazant street all the way to uptown. I only heard from my dad's cousin (i call him uncle). And him, Sherri, and Catalina are all fine and suppose to be comming up here to VA. I have heard rumors that the rest are comming up as well, though I haven't recieved any official phone calls. :(

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It appears I spoke too soon, some countries have offered aid, up to and including oil reserve taps. Just like Bush, two days too late. :( Still, they have the nerve to criticize us amidst the helping hands . . .

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Look Cuc, this thread's about the gas prices. Just because we've not talked about the unfortunate deaths doesn't mean we're heartless. I feel for them too, and wish they all a speedy recovery, it's just that that isn't the topic at hand here. The gas prices, are. I'm not trying to sound disrespectful, on the contrary, I'm just being logical here.

The Sinister Minister
Retired Forum Staff
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can imagine that the U of M (University of Manitoba) will attempt to collect funds for the citizens of the US that have been directly affected by this disaster. I intend to donate to several of those drives (as separate student associations [Arts, Science, Medicine, etc.] will likely run separate drives).

In regards to the last half of Cuc's first post: I think that the reason why people have not commented on the loss of life and/or the tragedy in this thread is because of the topic, itself - we do, after all, try to encourage people to stick directly to the topic. Having said that, though, I don't think you guys would have been penalized, given the circumstances, if you'd posted your sympathies.

Other than contributing to relief funds that the U of M will undoubtedly start, I'm sure that the people who have been affected by this disaster will be in the prayers of the parish I belong to for quite some time.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
Egads, I haven't actually posted or read in this thread at all since the hurricane. I was expecting sillyness, but I'm dissapointed at how much there is.

Water is not an atom, it is a molecule of two Hydrogen and one Oxygen atoms. Hydrogen is the smallest, lightest atom period, they will never find anything smaller than one proton and one electron that could still be called an atom. Hydrogen can be seperated from water with some electricity and two different metal electrodes, sounds pretty easy to store it. The major concern is hydrogen's explosive nature, flammible gases and flames are bad. No one would dream of storing liquid hydrogen . . . that's one of the fuels we use on the space shuttle.

Someone mentioned the untapped US reserves . . . it's called the TACTICAL reserve for a reason, it's meant to fuel our war machines in the event that the United States needs to get fuel to our military. In case you missed it in the news, the United States is at war, tapping that reserve is not an option.

I don't give a **** about loosing the loop, or all the refineries, or all the grain.

That being said, it's time to say my piece.

I'm appalled that no one cares about all the lives that were lost. We had a 25 foot wave fall on a city that was below sea level accompanied by a catagory 5 hurricane. That's only 5 feet smaller than the Tsunami, yet no other country has lifted a finger to aid us.

You always hear that Americans are greedy, lazy and troublesome. But we are the first ones there in any other situation. Disaster brings out the best in us, prodding us to open our hearts, and yeah, our wallets. I personally sent money to the Tsunami victims, and I will be sending needed medical supplies to the New Orleans area via the company I work for. The best part is, I don't have that money, but I will send it to do something for them. My question is, where is the rest of the damn world? Thousands of people died, my countrymen and women, and their children.

My thoughts and prayers go out to anyone who lives on the gulf coast, though you are unlikely to see this untill power and internet are restored (and probably your house).
We are all very sad and dissapointed at our loss... But this thread has to do with gas prices. I mean, I could drag in the death toll, but I figured I'd leave that out, considering some people wouldn't take something like that seriously.

Ex: I made a thread on Sept. 11, 2001 in my old forum about how we should have silence for those who died, and I get stuff like "Terrorists win" and "well, thats one way to keep population down"

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The thread may be about gas prices, but it shouldn't be. That's all I'm trying to say. Further, why was no thread started on that topic then? Lets not fool ourselves, gas prices were more important in some eyes than human life.

But Bush is the oil hound ;p

Best answers
I personally would be all about another thread that dealt with discussing the tragedy of the hurricane and the faulty handling of relief by our own government, not to mention the lack of help from other nations, as well as the social, economic, and race of the people stranded and how that might be affecting the performance of our own nation, but honestly cuc, what is the average age of people on this forum anymore? Those of us who could have a rational discussion about the topics without going into an all out flame war are too few. Though I might still try it.

But about the gas prices, I'm all for it. I enjoy the gas prices being so high as I don't drive all that often (one tank can last me about 2 1/2 weeks) and they really do have a secondary benefit that most don't realize. Because of high prices for transportation, more money will be invested in finding alternative means of transportation and alternative energy sources.

I long for the day that I can drive across the country without sending a single pollutant into the air.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Huh,that's a good point..But I thought that having sympathy for the people who were hit badly by Katrina was just a given...I mean I've watched the news, discussed it with my mom and on the internet, so I thought it was mandatory to assume that they sympathized for katrina.

owa

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Cucumba said:
The thread may be about gas prices, but it shouldn't be. That's all I'm trying to say. Further, why was no thread started on that topic then? Lets not fool ourselves, gas prices were more important in some eyes than human life.

But Bush is the oil hound ;p
I was actually surprised by that too.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Brim said:
But about the gas prices, I'm all for it. I enjoy the gas prices being so high as I don't drive all that often (one tank can last me about 2 1/2 weeks) and they really do have a secondary benefit that most don't realize. Because of high prices for transportation, more money will be invested in finding alternative means of transportation and alternative energy sources.
Do you honestly believe this is going to push people to develop others forms of power and fuel? There's too much money to be made. Gas prices go up, oil industries are happy, our president is happy.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
If it was so easy to produce, we wouldnt need to buy it from foreign countries. The amount we are able to produce is nowhere near enough to sustain our country, which brings me back to the whole "buying oil from foreign countries" thing.
if it was so easy to "buy" it from other countries, and then sell it for an exuberant cost to our own people, why make our own oil and gas, from synthetic materials, for a much cheaper price? we wouldnt want to do that, then the government would make less money... and the people would be happy and have some other incoherant thing to ***** about

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
well i dont think it was coincidence that the U.S. troops just showed up about 4 days later when they couldve been there within hours, just bush milking the problem for all its worth to have a logical reason for the gas prices to be insanely high without seeming totally assholish

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom