Katrina takes a toll on Gas...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Zeonix said:
As for the "People are fat and lazy and will never do anything about the oil industries because we enjoy being ass raped"....well...your move Kama.
I never said that we enjoyed the ass raping, that's just your subconcious coming through.

What i'm saying is that society has gotten bad, and big business knows this. Since Obesity is the biggest program in America right now, even above the evil scary african-americans who only want to steal your car (don't hurt me joe, just an example from the media), the oil companies know that we would never stop paying for gas regardless what they charge.

I know families that drive their cars 3 blocks just to pick up some bread and milk. That's how bad we've got. We've advanced from hunting over miles of land climbing and navigating, to simply turning a key and pushing a pedal just to move a few damn blocks.

Now, I live in Canada, but like the rest of the world everything that happens to the U.S. somehow affects us. America is a minor supplier of oil to Canada, but as soon as Katrina hit, our price jumped up 50cents/litre instantly.

It's sad that the United States basically controls everything that happens in the world even if they are involved in the slightest bit. And the sad part is that Arnold had alot of good things he wanted to do for California, but thanks to the political system he can't. Because no one is willing to back him.

Democracy is a fairy tale until people actually start to excercise their rights.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Aha. An indirect flame. Cute.

I dont know how it is in Canada, but where I live, people drive when they need to get far. I have yet to see or hear someone say "hmm..i need milk. Now, the store is up the block, so i might as well take a car".

You're implying that oil industries across the world are involved in some type of oligarchy. Not so. As soon as the U.S. went to war, gas prices here started going up. Before Katrina, prices were around 2.60 or so (in New York). So, are oil companies constantly schemeing and trying to find ways to make us pay more, or does it have something to do with most of the Middle East being at war with someone.

Arnold said a lot of things. So did Bush. When you want to get elected, you make a lot of promises. Most of those promises arent realistic. Or, the person is just trying to get votes from a particular area. Either way, i doubt Arnold really had a plan to make California better that it is.

Democracy is indeed a fairy tale. We try to exercise our rights and get things done, but sometimes those in power stop us from getting too far. Thats the way it is now, and thats the way it has always been.

Old School
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Kama said:
There's no reason for the prices to go up because one oil rig went down
A major pilepine that supplys the oil to the surrounding states got f'ed up. Oil rigs did get damaged but thast not whats causing the oil shortage.
Still tohugh, I agree that its BS, we should be able to muscle it from somewhere else.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Democracy is indeed a fairy tale. We try to exercise our rights and get things done, but sometimes those in power stop us from getting too far. Thats the way it is now, and thats the way it has always been.
I dont think people are trying to stop you, its just that other people are just too apethetic (bigword!) to help. Or just enough people oppose what you want as to block it. Those in power stay in power by doing what the majority. wants them to (well, at least thats how its supposed to work with a minority government).

Think of all the soccer moms trying to protect everybodies children for them by boycotting games like GTA. Im sure they feel the system has betrayed them and is trying to corrupt their children but enough people believe theyre crazy that wonderfuly violent games are still sold over the counter to children.

Oh! Oh! Almost 300! :p

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
what bugs me is that the largest oil supply is west of alaska and america cannot bring it back to the states because risking oil ships from alaska to california would be too drastic.

gas here is 4.10... and it looks like it's increasing by the day
i got a 1998 firebird and it took me 53 dollars even to fill it up.

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Blah blah blah gas prices waah waah waah.

It's really not that big of a deal.

Here in Ontario, gas was hovering around $0.899/L -> $0.959/L, so let's do a little math, we'll take the average, $0.929/L. Now, let's say I have a 50 litre gas tank, and fill up twice a week. In a year, I will spend about $4800 give or take on gas.

Now, gas prices have gone up to about $1.049/L. Using the same math, I will now be spending about $5400 in a year on gas. $600 more, now let's be serious, is $600 really anything to be crying about? In the long run, you really aren't spending THAT much more on gas. Maybe per pay at the pump you are. But over the course of a year, that's an extra $1.65/day on gas. So people can go cry some more, it's really not all that bad.

Now, while I understand the increase may have been more dramatic elsewhere. I'm just sick of hearing people/co-workers/neighbours/who-ever complain about gas going up $0.10/L when in the long run, it's not that big of a deal.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
or you could just walk =/

not being funny or anything, but all the vids ive seen on the news of people being rescued, are all fatty's so lets use this "crisis" to kickstart a national fitness drive! start cycling or walking. its all good yo!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:

Here in Ontario, gas was hovering around $0.899/L -> $0.959/L, so let's do a little math, we'll take the average, $0.929/L. Now, let's say I have a 50 litre gas tank, and fill up twice a week. In a year, I will spend about $4800 give or take on gas.

Now, gas prices have gone up to about $1.049/L. Using the same math, I will now be spending about $5400 in a year on gas. $600 more, now let's be serious, is $600 really anything to be crying about? In the long run, you really aren't spending THAT much more on gas. Maybe per pay at the pump you are. But over the course of a year, that's an extra $1.65/day on gas. So people can go cry some more, it's really not all that bad.

Now, while I understand the increase may have been more dramatic elsewhere. I'm just sick of hearing people/co-workers/neighbours/who-ever complain about gas going up $0.10/L when in the long run, it's not that big of a deal.
Income rates change over areas. I for one, can't afford the gas price per gal.

Before Kat it was 1.98
After Kat it was 4.50+

it's insane man...

Super Moderator
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Iyce Da Kidd said:
Income rates change over areas. I for one, can't afford the gas price per gal.

Before Kat it was 1.98
After Kat it was 4.50+

it's insane man...
Like I said, I'm sure the increases were more dramatic in other areas =P. But as for here, the increase we're seeing, isn't even worth talking about in general conversation, and yet, people are constantly complaining.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
^^ I missed out on that part...

things aren't looking up either, it's said that our area will reach 6 bucks by saturday

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
@_@ Wow, those are quite dramatic price changes.

I hope things settle down for you guys soon. Must suck. =(

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think gas should be rationed until all of this is fixed.

1) Go to ALASKA! Drill there! Damn!

2) Make a strong effort to perfect (or come close to) vehicles that DONT rely on gasoline.

3) Conserve! (Goes along w/ rationing) -- Vehicle makers (especially here in the US) need to stop focusing on "LOL WE HAS MORE HORSEPOWEREZZLZLZL LOLOLOL" or "LOL WE HAEV TEH BIGGEST SUV LOLOLOL" and instead focus on "ROFLFLFLF WE HAES TEH MOSTZ0RZ MPG THAN U's LOLOLOLZLZLZ"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:

Well... I could sure use the extra $10 a week that I am dumping into my fuel tank. Good thing I skateboard and I live in a tight-knit town. (bike has a mangled tire)

Also- I heard from a friend that America has a few LARGE oil reserves that we're just too stubborn to tap in to... rediculus? yes. But I mean... it's not like this is a major suprise, hurricanes are known to **** stuff up, we can't really pick and choose what they destroy. Besides, gas is terribly harmful for the environment anyway.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers

Now, while I understand the increase may have been more dramatic elsewhere. I'm just sick of hearing people/co-workers/neighbours/who-ever complain about gas going up $0.10/L when in the long run, it's not that big of a deal
well my family doesnt have much money, nor do they have enough time to bike the 40 miles to work (40 for my dad about 65 for my mom)

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
$21 dollars for 7 gallons of gas :(

Lucky for me I only have an 11 gallon tank.

But still. Because my tank is so small, sure, I pay less at the station. But that means I refill more then others. I refill ever 4 or 5 days. Give or take. Do the math. I spend a **** load on gas alone. Then I have bills to pay and food, etc. Don't tell me "gas prices aren't that high" they take a good chunk of my money. And here it's only $2.80.

itr

✔️ HL Verified
🍂 Regular
Best answers
Well in Saudia Arbia or wherever they drill for oil, well they are upping production, its infact cheaper now a barrel, about $3. I know down here on the south east we are getting beaten apart. Hopefully some of the rigs in the gulf survived so some of them can be used....

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Optimus Prime said:

My dads a truck driver and he needs somewhat 400 gallons+. 10 cents is a big difference when it comes to filling up an entire tank - its 40 extra dollars a tank. Now my dad spends 40k on gas for his truck a year. He use to spend somewhat only 10k a year.

Personally, i think theres plenty of oil in alaska, and gas stations are just using katrina as an excuse to raise prices for their greed.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Alaska isnt a good place to get oil from for 2 reasons: 1) Conservationists want to protect the areas that would have to be drilled to get oil 2) Too much ****ing ice to drill through.

Ice Cream God
✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Here on Long Island i saw the same gas station increase its prices twice in the same day.
I was thinking about finally learning to drive to >_>

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom