Joining the online ranks soon... so here's a question

Best answers
Pretty soon, I'll be getting my own internet connection, which means I'll be able to join ESF online! I just got a little question. If I am gonna join, do I *have* to download Steam (which I actully don't want to after hearing all the criticism) or are there other ways to fight online?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You will eventually have to download steam. As of right now though, your still able to play without it. I personally dont think steam is as bad as poeple say, but i still think it sux.

Best answers
as steam is sorta sturggleing wit te amount of ppls it has now valve would be shooten themseves in the foot to shut down won and bring everyone else to steam (hav u seen te amount of 1.5 servers thease days *gasp*)

Best answers
alright... i finally got my internet connection... what do i have to download to play esf online?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Right, well snake, i'd recommend playing on WON at the moment, since 95% of the community still do. To play on WON you need the latest halflife patch (1.1.1.0)
You can get 1.1.1.0 from here
(the sites not english, but its pretty straight forward, just click on "Lataa tästä!"
up the top in the "half-life 1.1.1.0 Full" window)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Snake101 said:
how do i play on won?
Open ESF, select multiplayer, filter it for ESF servers and there you go.

And for the record, steam is great, just a few ppl think it's bad, and a huge flow of propaganda seeps in... try it out yourself fully. It's great.

Best answers
I would have to say I like Steam more than i do WON, except how you can't configure well

Best answers
but if i want to get steam (which eventaully i have to) do i have to get the full installer or the half-life installer?

EDIT: i just joined a server this morning, and it's a BLAST! despite some lag

Best answers
I don't really get steam all i know is its something to do with servers to make it easier to use i think and on a site it said steam sucks without broadband and i don't have broadband because it said something about a lot of downloading im confused?And why would you HAVE to get STEAM?

Best answers
What's the deal about steam,he garbage...use WON-my suggestion :yes: And,u need patch for half-life 1.1.1.0,but,u already have that,coz ESF doesn't run on anything except that version.Steam,it's bad...

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
lol...i hear alot of people saying steam is bad, but i bet more than 50% only know that from what other people have said. Steam isn't bad, and everyone will need it someday. I'd download it now, but install it when WON goes down. (Steam isn't bad at all IMO, just a little buggy, and they are not releasing steam until it is how it was meant to be)

(as for the lag, i dont know if anyone else has noticed it, but it seems to be pretty bad in ESF. 120 ping feels more like 180-200 to me o_O)

🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Steam is crappy from my first hand experience. I haven't went and looked at what ports it uses but I'm guessing it whores the same ports as msn and aim because if you leave them on they won't be for long. The one good thing about it is the chat feature because you can apologize to your g/f after you headshot her. If you go to download steam I recommend getting the full download (730mg). Then just copy fmod.dll into your steamapps/emailaddress/halflife and your "unsuported mods" will work. I recommend those with faster computers check out the easy to change video settings included with steam such as the new click box for 32bit color.

Best answers
for now i'll just stick to joining random servers in esf

but 730 mb?? :shocked:

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
yup my ping is higher and fps is lower in steam.. and snake u only have to download the steaminstaller for halflife...

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom