Jesus and Pals (JAP)

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm making a game. I'm going to play it safe by understating my goals for the game, and the value, impact, and importance it will have on the world -- It's going to be the defining moment in human history. Ladies and gentlemen, I introduce you to JAP.

What's the concept?:
It's Super Smash Brothers + DBZ like mechanics + religious settings. When I say religious settings, I mean that you'll be able to choose from characters such as Jesus, Moses, Thor, Zeus, Mohammad, Buddah, The Flying Spaghetti Monster, Lucifer, Zeonix, etc.

Is this a joke?: Yes and no. In 2005, I was in highschool taking a math final when I was overcome with a vision -- a vision of a deathmatch game in which religious characters fought each other to, well, the death. At the time I imagined that it would be a Half-Life mod with each character having special powers. I thought the idea was hilarious, and it's been in the back of my mind ever since. Surprisingly, I did not fail that math test.

How will the game mechanics work?: Have you played LBZ? The game will function on a similar level, but with some key differences besides the setting. Here's how I want the final game to end up:

• You pick your character
  • You spawn in a world against either an AI player, or against another player over the 'net
  • The level/map would be very simple. It will literally be a randomly generated (squigglyish) black line to simulate a ground. Maybe I'd make actual levels for it at some point, who knows.
  • To expand on that last point, the world map will be destructible. You fire a beam at the ground, you form a hole in the ground.
  • I'm not sure right now how unique each character will be. Eventually I want to make each character unique (for example, maybe one character can't fly, but can jump really high), but until I get the game up and running, I'm not sure how this will play out.
  • I mentioned flight in the last point. Like I said in the beginning, the game will have DBZ mechanics. Characters can fly, melee, and shoot energy beams.
  • You would cycle through your beams with the mouse wheel. Holding right click charges a beam. Releasing right click fires the beam at wherever you're firing. The beam will travel to and detonate wherever you released the clicked.
  • Melee is like a 2D version of ESF's simple melee. You double left click on an area and your character flies fast (swoops) in a straight line to where you double clicked. If you intersect the enemy in your flight path, he gets knocked back and you stop swooping. For now, I have it pictured that you can change direction of where you're traveling by double clicking somewhere else, but it's only straight lines. If I don't like how that works, maybe I'll change it so that you hold down left click to swoop and your character just moves in a straight line to the mouse, but I don't think I'm going to do that.
  • To balance out the use of beams and melee, there will be two bars that auto regenerate on their own. A melee bar and a beam bar. Charging / firing beams uses the beam bar, swooping anywhere uses the melee bar.
  • I mentioned super smash bros. in the beginning. This comes in the form of how health functions. In order to kill someone, you need to knock them off of the screen / out of the playable area. Melee / beams will knock back and damage a person. Your damage starts out at 0. The higher your damage is, the father you get knocked back by attacks.

That's all for this section for now.

Don't you already have a thread where you share stuff that you make while learning to code?: Yes, but this game will be life changing. It deserves its own thread and so much more.

Are you even capable of making this?: I don't know, but I think so.

Judge. Jury. Executioner
👮 Moderator
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wonderful ideas Sub. Sounds like a heck lot of coding work, but if someone can do it, its you!

I assume you will be using an engine similar to LBZ?

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I have no idea how LBZ was written. I'm going to write it in C++, since that's the only thing I know. Will see if I can get by with just using the SDL library to handle keyboard / mouse events, adding sound, and adding 2D pictures to the screen. It'll just be a simple 2D game so I don't see any reason why what I want to do wouldn't work with that, but we'll see.

In all likelihood, this game is going to be terrible, and I doubt my ability to accomplish everything I want to do, but that's the fun part.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If you need anything just hit me up. I can see what I can do. If you need some sprites I could probably draw some out for ya.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sounds awesome sub. Keep us updated :)

✔️ HL Verified
🌟 Senior Member
Best answers
Why aren't you using an existing engine to see if the gameplay is working ? (prototyping)

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
Wonderful Sub, Now I just gotta find the right gun to use, the right ammunitition type, the right way to calibrate and use it so I can kill a few.

Abit too much detail for a game right? Thats because its not gonna be used in the game. Its gonna be used in a little house somewhere located in a world people call 'reality'.

Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Wonderful Sub, Now I just gotta find the right gun to use, the right ammunitition type, the right way to calibrate and use it so I can kill a few.

Abit too much detail for a game right? Thats because its not gonna be used in the game. Its gonna be used in a little house somewhere located in a world people call 'reality'.
If you're saying subs game sounds way to complex I have one this to say

YOU CRAZY

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you're gonna fail using such an engine.

Super Saiyan Dabura
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
this game will fail if there is no batman and dr.octopus

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think you're gonna fail using such an engine.
I dunno, I still think it'll be fine. Maybe I'm just naive, but what I want to do doesn't seem terribly complex to me. It's just a little 2D game. The only thing I'm actually unsure about is how to do network stuff, and I don't even really care if that's in.

Last edited:
Death from Above
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I dunno, I still think it'll be fine. Maybe I'm just naive, but what I want to do doesn't seem terribly complex to me. It's just a little 2D game. The only thing I'm actually unsure about is how to do network stuff, and I don't even really care if that's in.
hleV is jealous is wasn't his idea

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
hleV is jealous is wasn't his idea
I actually attempted something similar some time ago, though not on this particular engine (HGE). For me it seems that such engines that require pure coding and doesn't consist of any graphical interface are meant to be used by people who either are really good at coding or have great loads of time to learn how **** works on the engine. Or I simply suck at advanced coding, which isn't unlikely.

Last edited:

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm curious now. What were you aiming to make, exactly?

NOT IN THE MANGA™
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Something similar to the Legacy of Goku series.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think it involved pineapples, a bear that was too large to fit in most commonly found caves, and a cocaine addicted rabbit. If it didn't, maybe it should have.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom