Is it possible?

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Is it possible to prove to someone that you exist? I mean, if you really think about it, how can you tell if your entire life is real or not? What makes you think that what you experience right now, is what reality is? Can there be a definite reality or is this just some dream that a man in a coma is having?

I've been poundering this for sometime now... And I don't know if I can prove that I exist. I can't feel other's pain nor can I step into their bodies and experience what they experience. So thats why I ask you, is it possible to prove to someone that you exist?

Best answers
Descartes summed it up with a simple sentance, "I think, therefore I am." Look up Discourse on Method and you'll get arguments from Descartes that because each person can think freely, our existance is absolute.

You exist, in essence, because you can contemplate your existance. To have the ability to doubt yourself of your existance proves that you are a "thinking thing." Hence, you think, therefore you are. You can thank the French for that one.

Funny, I did a report on Descartes during my senior year. I still know a little bit of info, but if you really want to delve into the subject, try Wikipedia.

"Cogito Ergo Sum."

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You sir, have WAY too much time on your hands, and as someone with absolutely no medical/psychiatric background, I prescribe that you find a girlfriend and a hobby, immediately!!!

JK, dude, JK.

Well technically, if nothing around us can be used as "proof" then it is imposible. Anything you might find may turn out to not exist :)

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I tend to be a deep thinker. I think all the time when I am at work, lifting weights or haning with friends. All the time, I ponder on existence and other things that the mind goes off on at times.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:
Is it possible to prove to someone that you exist? I mean, if you really think about it, how can you tell if your entire life is real or not? What makes you think that what you experience right now, is what reality is? Can there be a definite reality or is this just some dream that a man in a coma is having?

I've been poundering this for sometime now... And I don't know if I can prove that I exist. I can't feel other's pain nor can I step into their bodies and experience what they experience. So thats why I ask you, is it possible to prove to someone that you exist?
You should watch Evangelion, that show will make you think. If you've already seen it, hopefully you can figure it out because I can't.

You are who you are, you exist because of the things you do with your life and what you leave behind for others to find. You are the result of other people's doings, and without them, you wouldn't exist. To think beyond existence is impossible as your existence is absolute. Your existence knows no bounds or limits, no borders or dead ends, therefore you exist forever. Reality is merely a boundary we place upon our existence to keep us from falling off the edge when the thing is that there is no edge as existence has no boundaries. Even after the inevitable day of your passing, you will still exist because of the things you left behind for other people to find.

I thought all of that up just right now... go me!

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Someone saw too much Matrix? j/k :p

But, why would you think about if you exist? The only proof that you have is to believe that you really exist. As long as you live, why worry about it?

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Find a way to prove to me that any given frame of reference is stationary, then we can move on to the harder questions.

(Note: you can't)

Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:

The answer to this question is: It doesn't matter. All we have is what we perceive, and if you perceive yourself as an individual in a world of individuals, then that's all you need to know. Take it for what it's worth.

Eon

TeeHee
Banned
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:

Punch yourself in the balls. Real hard.

It'll answer all your questions

Best answers
KidBoy17 said:

No wonder you don't have an answer. Poundering it must make it hurt a lot.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Sometimes I think to myself I see Ghosts of the past tryying to enter my reality. Really, I do o_o.
Pain in someone's reality makes people wish for an alternative world where what they intended to happen happens, a dream world thought up by themselves where only their dreams exist.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You could put all of the worlds philosphers into the room, and come up with an endless myriad of answers to your conundrum.

The only person your existance should matter to if yourself. If you don't think you exist, you should probably seek psychiatric help anyway.

The Viking
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've thought about this several times. And it's kind of scary if you realise, that you really can't know. Someone could hold our bodies hostage somewhere and use it for all kinds of stuff, maybe we're all trapped in these pods like in the Matrix. Hell, we might even only exist on a hard disk.

However, you can take it for granted that you really exist. Nothing else but the human mind can create such a sophisticated thing as love. There is no machine or something simular that could replicate it. And there are a lot more things that only a human mind can calculate or create.

Best answers
Well, tbh, if someone asked me "hey, do you exist?", I'd slap them in the face and ask "did you feel that?"..

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
If you want to try something difficult, prove you don't exist.

Best answers
Cold Steel said:
I've thought about this several times. And it's kind of scary if you realise, that you really can't know. Someone could hold our bodies hostage somewhere and use it for all kinds of stuff, maybe we're all trapped in these pods like in the Matrix. Hell, we might even only exist on a hard disk.

However, you can take it for granted that you really exist. Nothing else but the human mind can create such a sophisticated thing as love. There is no machine or something simular that could replicate it. And there are a lot more things that only a human mind can calculate or create.
Underneath his cold, steel shell, Cold Steel r softeh ;)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I quite dont understand the question, if you want to let somebody know you exist call them and tell them.

Lost in space
Banned
Best answers
Being able to hear or see something doesn't necessarily mean it exists. After all, people do suffer from auditory and visual hallucinations. They see and hear all kinds of crazy things, and yet no one else is able to see or hear them. Then again, this brings up another question. Does something not exist just because the majority is unable to perceive something? Are people who hear or see things actually seeing or hearing something that exists because of whatever mental malfunction they seem to suffer from?

My definition of real may differ from yours. Its all about perception and awareness.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
All I can say is that if my life is a dream, then this dream ****ing rules!

jp

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
KidBoy17 said:

I have replied to you, therefore you exist.

If you wouldn't exist, then how could I reply to you?

And if I wouldn't exist, how could I reply to you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom