Insta-Counter: It must change. Period.

Best answers
Ok if your stupid enough to attack head on thats your problem pal. This move is even in the manual so I think everyone has the idea. Oh heres a thought blast the blocker with a beam. :tired:

BTW this is directed to the person that started this tread and everyone who thinks this move is cheap.:paper:

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by SaiyanPrideXIX
You're right, guys...

I'm thinking of this from a gamer's perspective. i should be thinking of it from A SAIYAN'S PERSPECTIVE.

It's just one more thing I have to defeat!

So god as my witness I will find a way to better deal with this attack, exploit or not.

In fact I'll go try it out right now. >:0)

Your finally getting it just work on it and you WILL beat it.

Best answers
Err you can also escape instant counter with instant telepot:rolleyes:

To do instant counter it takes skill. But so does instant tele. And who the hell would attack head on?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by sjj_gohan
Err you can also escape instant counter with instant telepot:rolleyes:

To do instant counter it takes skill. But so does instant tele. And who the hell would attack head on?
I attach head on when I'am on a normal ESF server when I'am playing normal players NOT with any of my clan membere for two reasons:

1).They dont not expect it comeing they think I wil teleport away then but I go head on and kill.

2). My ping is always 50 or below or 100 and below so I always win meele fights.

Best answers
Ok id someone flying towards ya would you just fly back towards them?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by sjj_gohan
Ok id someone flying towards ya would you just fly back towards them?
If that happens yes, but more often then not its me who flies toward them and then they fly to me. I started and I end it. I only loose meele head to head hits with my fellow clan members.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Originally posted by Bombg
Instant countering seems to be an exploit because of one main thing; it totally renders swoop+meelee useless if your opponent knows how to effectively instant counter.

So what happens when swoop+meelee is useless? People will sit around, and throw beams around all game. Who wants to attack someone who you know is going to knock you away instantly; no matter what you do?

I dont know about everyone else, but i think plain old beam tossing gets boring fast. Even if everyone is happy with beam tossing, there is still the fact that instant countering renders head on meelee attacks useless. Which disables one of the defining parts about the game.

I have never done an instant counter myself, but it does happen to me often. I will take some people's word on instant countering, and assume that it's skill based which requires good timing.

Yes having the game require lots of skill is a good thing. The problem is that even if two people are evenly skilled; the attacker will always loose due to instant countering Which leads back to one of my previous points; people will just sit and throw beams.

Right now Instant Countering isnt a huge problem, but I'm seeing more people doing it day by day. The problem will only get worse with time as players gain more skill.

I belive instant countering to be a flaw with meelee, and i hope the devs see it that way.

I have one suggestion (which i just thought up) that may help fix this flaw. Add in some code that makes it so only players swooping can hit other swooping players, and dont allow stationary players to hit swooping players. I'm not exactly sure if this is the root of the problem, but it seems like it.

and just for clarification.

What instant countering IS NOT.
-Someone countering a blocked attack.
What instant countering IS.
-An attacker being hit instantly as they enter their opponents meelee range. This allows no reaction time for the attacker; which renders his head on attack useless.

I hope that was clear enough.

-Bombg
I don't really agree with you about how to deal with it (because then people who are swooping are invincible to a degree, which makes things tougher), but I'm glad you see my point.

People like me and Bombg are getting misappropriated here, that's all. When we say "renders head on melee attacks useless" we don't mean that it sucks we can't HIT and KILL people with head on melee attacks; but I have a lot of fun fighting against another aggressive player who is quick with his block key, because obviously when I get blocked, then I teleport away, he teleports back, and we keep going at it with various combo techniques of teleporting, blocking, and swooping, and it's really fun and cool and balanced. We don't expect to hit and kill a guy every time we dive, and we certainly don't think that blocking and countering is cheap.

But you have to admit. If I'm fighting a guy who can hit me away before I can touch him...why even bother trying? But then it doesn't end there; he's taken no damage if he uses the insta-counter enough, and probably killed several people with it if there are a lot of melee aggressors int he server. Then his PL comes into play. And then guess what? My gallit gun gets flung back in my face almost every time.

The insta-counter isn't even a counter: you don't have to successfully stop the other player's attack to execute it like with an actual fair counter. And becuase of that there is no avoiding it, there is no real timing involved, and if you are playing someone who can do it, there is obviously no reason to even attempt a swoop.

It's not necessarily meant literally when we say "head on melee attacks" like everyone in this thread seems to think. We don't mean to insinuate that we stand right in front of the guy, look at him, swoop from two miles away, and be generally obvious about it, then complain when we get countered. If you get CAUGHT then you DESERVE to be COUNTERED, which is fine with me.

With the regular countering technique, there is a window for both players to counter, both the blocker and the blockee. This is fair. I can teleport away, or the blocker can melee me with a counter; fair's fair, if I got blocked and he's quick enough he deserves to get off the counter, and if I block and I'M quick enough, I deserve to avoid the hit. And this is what makes the fights rule! Who the hell wants to play "fake the other dude into swooping for the counter" Melee Mode?

Insta-counter, though, will always win, because there is no counter to it, there is no "skill" you develop to get away from it except for it promoting hitting people in the back, which everyone thinks is garbage anyway. That's not balance, that's like telling everyone who plays Counterstrike "don't stand in front of the AWP guy, shoot him in the back."

The game obviously wasn't meant to be played this way, is all I wanted to say in this thread.

I'm sure I'll find an exploit to get around this stupid move sooner or later, if it exists, and I'm sure the team will "fix" it by the next version anyway. It's a big issue, but like I said to my friend last night:

"Everyone likes winning before they like having and losing a good fight."

So everyone's not gonna want this "technique" removed or fixed or tweaked, blah blah. That's why I didn't bother with a poll ont his thread. lol

Personally I don't know how people who do this move can find the game as fun. It seems really boring to me.

Ok, so...just to clarify: I/WE ARE NOT SAYING "HEAD ON" MEANING BLIND STUPID DIVES, AND WE ARE NOT NOOBS WHO JUST DON'T KNOW HOW TO MELEE. And besides...this game is supposed to be confrontational. This totally discourages confrontation and totally encourages beam spam and attacking from behind.

HEAD ON = An actual swooping/teleporting/still attack, not a blind dive in a straight line. What do you think, we're stupid, I'm stupid, I don't know that if a guy sees me coming he can block me then counter me? Duh...

But there's also a chance that when and if he does block me, I can escape the counter if he's not quick enough. There's also a chance I can break through his block, if I'm strong enough. And there's also a chance that I can stop short and fake him out. With insta-counter none of these things are possible and unless you get behind the guy and confuse the **** out of him and hit him in the back of the neck, you are done for every time.

Just because you all rely on it to be good, doesn't mean it is fair. Just because it helps you win doesn't mean it's good.

Since it's probably going to be stuck in, and since no one's gonna stop using it (they're winning like mad, after all, why would they stop?), I'll just have to try and find some workaround.

Just sucks though. All the fun is taken out of the game now that I have to try and maneuver myself into hitting people in the back by default (which by the way doesn't matter, cause you can be countered if someone is within your melee range on ANY SIDE or ANY DIRECTION anyways). I like to fight, and I hate the idea of a melee fight now being who can confuse the other dude and get behind him first, lather rinse repeat.

Sooner or later I'll beat it though. And eventually maybe I'll even just learn the move and spam it to teach everyone what I'm talking about.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
YOU WRITE SO MUTCH :laff:. When you are meeleing do you hold or click rapidly the mouse you rapidly click theres your proble you hold the mouse if you have probles with meele go to the flash tutorial.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh no dude, I hold it. I'm a "Textbook meleer" -- I do it almost exactly like it was explained in the manual.

And yeah...I write a lot, cause I'm a writer and I have a big mouth. lol

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mybe you get pwned in meele cuz you ping is bad(I'am not trying to flame you either:D). If not just practice you will get better!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Actually, my ping is usually very good. Always under 150, and USUALLY hovering between 60 and 70...but a lot of times I get lag in my control response too, even though it stays that way...

And it would be nice if my refresh rate could be changed, but Half Life doesn't seem to like that idea.

Maybe my vid card has a set of defaults I should change?

Sometimes when I'm swinging my mouse around (like in a wild melee battle) I get image tearing associated with my refresh rate. That makes it hard to aim sometimes. :0\

Normally though the game tends to run very good for me.

Best answers
But ever since I defeated Nightshades Hsu never replies

funny how everyone and there mom says they beat me :(

For one noone has beat me yet. Sure people give me good fights. but noone has owned me enough to say they beat me. So even by chance you killed me either a i was admining playing around or b you beam me.

NOONE can say that they can beat me. i prove that enough times to everyone. But then again If you want me to show you pm me and i will make sure i prove myself once and for all.

Now counters. i love counters till a point. then they piss me off it takes no skill to time it. Thats why i wait for 1.2.

You got 2 types of people. Defs people who think they are all that. and true people who mix all of it. defs is the way to go for boring fighters who have no skill. A person who mixes both up super well is a true warrior. Then again what do i know

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hey Nightshade, I beat you. Remember that one time, on your server? Sure you do, I whupped you so bad!

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i beat nightshade!:rolleyes: ... ya right.. im not even close to him:S

for those of u who THINK u beat nightshade... u have got to be pretty damn... well... i dont know.. but if u think u did.. u didnt:\

melee = hold click to hit someone... dont rapid tap:)

Best answers
yea I beat Nightshade! Lol, yea about 2 kills for every 7 fights against him.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
ok.... so no ones beaten you..... we get it! no need to get angry!
lol... even if people act like asses on esf... what can you do? unless your the administartor or host, you cant kick them....

Best answers
i not piss :) i just get 2000 aims a day emails saying duel me i am the best blah blah. i am just stating a point it gets old fast. very very fast

I am far more powerful then a mod i r l33t tester. *holds out chest* and ya i can kick but smack talk is smack talk. all about show me what you got type thing

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No you dont understand, I really did beat him. It was at esf's lesser known style (and a rather unique style from me)

^^;;

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom