Infamous Crash Bug

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'm pretty sure Harsens was right when he said that something in the melee code was cuasing the crash. Yesterday I put my server up and it was crashing at random times as always. Then I locked it and kept it down to 4 players. We all started fighting and it was still crashing as normal. Then after the 3rd or fourth crash in a row, we just sat in my server and chatted for about an hour. No crash. We were spamming ki balls, beams, discs, pretty much everything except melee. It's still pretty general but I'm very confident that the crash is melee-related.

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Maybe it's a missing sprite issue, like a certain sprite in the advance melee is missing?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
its possible the tweaks made it call on a sprite that isnt there which hoses it up

something hars or joe will have to look at

Best answers
i aint know too much about hl mods but from studying my computer while its running a dedicated server there is definately a memory issue with esf. Memory is not free'd up once it is used and there could be a possible leak causing the crash. I get 2 types of crashes on my system. One of which everyone gets kicked out of the server, second is when the dedicated server goes into an infinate loop and stops responding causing my system to become unstable. Again a possible memory issue causing the loop never to exit.

Also is there any particular reason why the dedicated server takes up so much memory. Every other Mod i've dedicated uses around 50 - 60 meg. ESF uses around 150+, depending on how long its been running.

Best answers
MoZZa said:
i aint know too much about hl mods but from studying my computer while its running a dedicated server there is definately a memory issue with esf. Memory is not free'd up once it is used and there could be a possible leak causing the crash. I get 2 types of crashes on my system. One of which everyone gets kicked out of the server, second is when the dedicated server goes into an infinate loop and stops responding causing my system to become unstable. Again a possible memory issue causing the loop never to exit.

Also is there any particular reason why the dedicated server takes up so much memory. Every other Mod i've dedicated uses around 50 - 60 meg. ESF uses around 150+, depending on how long its been running.
yeah i've noticed that too. i think that's why it crashes randomly, you never really know when your memory is "full" or something.

The Krazy One
✔️ HL Verified
🎈 Advanced
Best answers
The thing is. If it is a memory leak. Then it's some where in the melee code. Because I had my server up for about a week, just bots, me and a friend, and we would melee, simple melee, KI spam, etc, etc, and it wouldn't crash. My server on occasion does crash when a beam collides with another player inapproariately, causing the whole game server to go, "Oh ****, that's not right. TIME TO CRASH!"

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, I've been playing pretty much all day, and I finally found a consistancy in the crash. It has crashed pretty much every time when I switch from melee to ki blasts right after adv.melee ends.

Basically when I'm in a adv.melee fight, If I know it's going to be the last exchange of moves, I switch to ki blasts prematurely so that I can fire one off as quick as possible. Well, right as I throw the first one it freezes. It doesn't happen every time that I do it, sometimes I'll do it, and it won't crash. But every time it crashed today, that is what I was doing at the time. Hope that helps at all.

Best answers
Phatslugga said:
Well, I've been playing pretty much all day, and I finally found a consistancy in the crash. It has crashed pretty much every time when I switch from melee to ki blasts right after adv.melee ends.

Basically when I'm in a adv.melee fight, If I know it's going to be the last exchange of moves, I switch to ki blasts prematurely so that I can fire one off as quick as possible. Well, right as I throw the first one it freezes. It doesn't happen every time that I do it, sometimes I'll do it, and it won't crash. But every time it crashed today, that is what I was doing at the time. Hope that helps at all.
yes there is a consistency with ki blobs and melee. I know on the ozforces server everytime i create a ki blob or someone else created a ki blob is locked up and froze. and who doesn't do a ki blob after a melee these days. Althought i don think its just ki blobs, ki blobs are just common, i've seen it freeze many times right before a beam hits a person, and my own server has froxe after i was hit with a frieza disk. This is one wierd bug, its affecting everything.

Best answers
It's only crashed for me during melee once. The other times have been when I'm just standing (or flying) there. Maybe the initiation of melee is related.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, if there were others in the server, then it's a possibility that they had triggered the crash. I stand by my theory, becuase every time I load up my server, it crashes to the same thing over and over again. right after I disengage in adv. melee and throw my first ki ball.

Best answers
If any of you lot played Dragon Mod Z befor eyou will have noticed that too much Ki,Blasts,Beams and Also Too much Ki poured into 1 PS could cause servers to Crash It happened every 10 mins on DMZ It May be the same problem or something simular!:]

★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, first of all this isnt DMZ.
Lots of people psing would create it to lag alot. Eventually crash, but the PS has nothing to do with this crash.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom