Immortality: Gift or Curse?

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
This thread was brought about by Lionheart's off-hand comment about immortality.

Would you want to be immortal? Do you believe a world full of immortals would flourish or eventually stagnate? What would immortality's effect be on society as we know it? Would being immortal be as cracked up as some believe it to be? Dont limit your posts to these questions.

Some people believe immortality to mean eternal youth, and others believe it to mean eternal life, meaning if you jump out of an airplane and land on the ground, you'll be able to walk away. Choose one or the other.
I remember reading some books and seeing some movies that had characters that were immortal. Those characters usually explain that being immortal is a curse. Those they cared about - friends, family, lovers, etcetera - would grow old and pass away while that character cannot die.

If I was given the choice of being immortal, I would struggle to give an answer. Being immortal means you cannot die, such a thing as that brings about endless possibilities. You could use your immortality to do good, to do bad, to do the things you've wanted, to watch what there is yet to come, or to simply be immortal for the sake of bragging.

The problems with being immortal are equally endless. You could contract a disease, but never die from it, suffering forever with pain and sickness. You are forced to watch everyone you cared about grow old and pass away. Your mind would probably become crippled by such things that you would lose your sanity. You could end up being tracked down and forced into working for some criminal organization to do their biddings.

You need to ask yourself sometimes, what if the Earth blew up and you were immortal? Well, obviously you wouldn't die, but you obviously wouldn't be happy that your stuck in space, floating around aimlessly. That will get old in a couple of hours. Then from time to time you have to deal with getting pummeled by space debris, or having to go through the occasional sun or two. If you're really unlucky, you'd get suck in a planet's orbit until that planet is eventually destroyed or you fall into the atmosphere, having to deal with chaotic monkeys fighting over a black monolith stuck in the ground.

Alright, I had to type that last paragraph to lighten the mood this reply a little bit.

All of this immortal talk is reminding me of the Q from Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I assume that if we had the technological capability to render humans immortal, that we'd have vaccines for just about everything thats out there.

The part about rotting from within is a very good point. While I think an immortal might become overly emotional about the passing of someone, I think s/he'd get over it eventually. Our greatest ability as a species is adaptation. No matter what happens, we continue to survive. Sometimes life gets hard for us, but as an immortal, you'd know it won't always be this way. Things will always get better. Thats just the way things are.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
i've been wondering that earth blowing stuff too, and how about when you enter the black hole? You could be just a blank spot in somewhere in the next dimension or just in the same dimension. I have so many things to consider still, but i'm too lazy to type and besides i have to wake up a 7.00 am and i have only 5 hours left till that, so g'night everyone ^^

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really don't think we'd limit ourselves to just Earth or even to just this solar system. Even without immortality, we want to get off of this rock and start colonizing as many planets and moons as possible. Humanity's Manifest Destiny, if you will.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
If people were immortal, as in indestructible, there is one major problem. The sun will go red giant, destroying the planet.

There are a few other cosmic disasters I could get into, but... I'm lazy.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh dear lord, 5 billion years of immortality is enough to get us away from the planet, possibly even the galaxy. You guys really underestimate our race's capabilities.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Oh dear lord, 5 billion years of immortality is enough to get us away from the planet, possibly even the galaxy. You guys really underestimate our race's capabilities.
I doubt there is any escape when the universe speeds up to the point where matter will not remain solid and everything will be a vast dust of atomic particles.

Saw it on the Discovery or National Geographic channel, so quite obviously it's true. ;)

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Considering half of the scientists are expecting the Universe to spread apart and the other half are expecting the Universe to come crashing into itself, much like a rubber band, I highly doubt they know what the end will be.

I'll be the moderate guy and say eventually the Universe will stop expanding, or wherever we end up won't be affected by what happens in this reality.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Very tough question..

I mean yeah I'd love to always be young and never see a loved one die...But I can't really rap my mind around not being able to be killed. The world would eventually over populate if were unable to be killed and I suppose we would begin to use up resources much faster.

But if we just didn't age past like the mid 30s or something but could be killed, there would be a hell lot more productivity in the world (I guess?), though we would still die from diseases, murders, accidents, and natural disasters.

If humans were given immortality at the beginning of time (the not being able to die part), we would have probably been adapted to maintain a stable world by now (eh, something to do with fertility and mental endurance). But if we were all guaranteed ever-lasting life, like, tommorow, I would say we wouldn't be able to handle it. People would begin to feel trapped and unenthustiastic, though some serious advances could be made in general if the idea of death was no longer on the human agenda. Anarchy could also follow, knowing that the only consequence for your actions is imprisonment, so you could go and **** around with anything and anyone, and sense you do not risk death, you just have to make sure you get away with it.

So yeah, curse. But I don't see myself wanting to die in an extremely long time and I hope I have that kind of time.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I really doubt we'd succumb to diseases as an immortal o_O.

Anyway, I was thinking about space travel because everyone keeps saying 5 billion years isn't long enough and I realized something. As an immortal (the indestructable kind), we could basically start shipping people to the moon with materials in a relatively short amount of time. If we can't die, we don't need oxygen to breathe and we wouldn't need to consume anything on the ride.

Hell, we could probably fully explore the oceans without having to build machines that can only withstand x amount of pressure.

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
society's demands have become retarded (reality TV? Movies like Borat? ffs!
I'm really shocked that you see Borat in this light, he's such a great social commentator, fact is he pushes away who should be his greatest fans because all the general public look into his work and explain is the face value humour, he really does have amazing points behind his work, It's more relevant to today's society than anything else I've witnessed in a long time.

As for immortality, I really dont know, maybe It'd be great maybe it wouldn't I know a hell of a lot of lifes problems are based on age, nobody likes getting old. Thing with life is, we know we've only got one, and so we have to try to make the best of it, immortality... well it takes away that... pressure.

sub

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
What about another form of immortality? When you die, you come back as another person, but retaining all of the previous memories you had. You're essentially the same person, just a new life / body. I'd be for that.

Immortality in that you can't get hurt though? I would want to die eventually, but it would be nice for a very long while.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The form you're talking about is actually in a book I read, but you don't read so nvm. I think the problem with that is you'd die and then when you come back you'd be like "Oh god ****ing damnit. Just let me stay dead. Sonava*****, I was surrounded by 2000 virgin gorillas and they worshipped me. Damnit man." That could get annoying.

Best answers
For those that didn't understand my resetting comment:

I believe that 'our' Earth has the power to 'reset' herself. Whenever things go wrong, or look like they'll go wrong, earth has the power to reset to a previous state. I believe that ice-ages are some form of resetting..

Look at what's happening now, the earth is heating up (we haven't even had any freezing at all in western Europe this year), ice caps are melting, our atmosphere is getting poluted..
At one point, earth will say "no more" and switch over to a new ice-age, killing all sorts of animals (even humans, at least I hope so), killing all or most of the flora, restoring the poles, restoring the atmosphere, ... And evolution can start all over again (or creativisme if you prefer to believe that)..

And Zeonix, I think that you're overrating our race.

Lost in space
Banned
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well, to directly answer your question from my view, I would find it a curse. People would fear you, and while this may be fun at first, do you want friends or followers?

Also, you'd see every holocaust, every mass murder, every nuclear bombing and would not be able to just.. die. On top of that, the world explodes, and you'd be a being in space, your lungs collapsing and expanding weirdly (could be wrong, i dont study space), feeling immense pain, but you WONT DIE! Its like the Cruciatius Curse from Harry Potter (laugh if you will, but the Harry Potter series is more than just a "childs book").

Of course, it'll be a gift as we wouldn't have wars, nor suicide, nor assassination, and every kind of remote death.

Cunning as Zeus
Banned
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
For those that didn't understand my resetting comment:

I believe that 'our' Earth has the power to 'reset' herself. Whenever things go wrong, or look like they'll go wrong, earth has the power to reset to a previous state. I believe that ice-ages are some form of resetting..

Look at what's happening now, the earth is heating up (we haven't even had any freezing at all in western Europe this year), ice caps are melting, our atmosphere is getting poluted..
At one point, earth will say "no more" and switch over to a new ice-age, killing all sorts of animals (even humans, at least I hope so), killing all or most of the flora, restoring the poles, restoring the atmosphere, ... And evolution can start all over again (or creativisme if you prefer to believe that)..

And Zeonix, I think that you're overrating our race.
First off, most or all planets are undergoing "global warming", so it isn't just Earth resetting itself.

Secondly, the last comment is the kind of thing that limits your abilities. We have the potential to be great if only we'd take the time to understand what is actually important. I understand the concept of importance varies from person to person, which is why I mean important to the human race as a whole. All we need is a nudge in the right direction.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
WOW and to think that this started from an esf players imortal idea :laff:
GJ zeonix

anyway...now that i saw all the posibilites i would prefer like to live for 200-300 years and not imortal

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Arguably one of the chief things that defines a human being is an awareness and fear of death. It makes us do a lot of stuff. Without that fear, it's really hard for me to say what humanity would do with itself. To be sure, it could barely call itself human anymore.

The average human creates some kind of context for himself that defines his existence. Most people strive to gain a bunch of interesting experiences (travel+fun+etc.), make their mark on society (work+art+etc.), and pass on their genes (family). As far as humanity on the whole goes, our primary concern is survival (which most of contemporary human meaning is probably defined by), the secondary is probably pleasure. In a society of indestructible immortals, I imagine there would only be the wanton seeking out of pleasure and novel experiences, as well as the perhaps unanswerable question of human meaning/consciousness. Is that a bad thing? Kinda hard to say. I guess "bad" and "good" sort of evaporate when you live forever. The fabric of society would probably collapse. If you're immortal, what are consequences? Certainly none that really apply to you. You wouldn't have to listen to anybody.

Try and think, I guess, about what you'd do if you had absolutely no responsibility for anything. After a bunch of naked Everest climbs, maybe diving into the abyss, it all gets kind of boring eventually, I imagine. You'd probably hitch a ride on a space rock with your buddies or something and check out another galaxy, looking for new things, looking for different life, etc. And what if you found stuff? Learn about it, I guess. But it'd all be kind of pointless. It's just novel, interesting.

I dunno. I think, after a while, people would just want to die. After a while I think it would be hard for the majority of immortal humanity to see much point in their existence... unless of course they found some way of "ascending" or etc., via spiritual development or technology or what have you. Perhaps after a certain amount of time humans would be drawn together again in a need to understand the universe/existence (perhaps the final driving force to an immortal) and then work together to research it. If that's even within the realm of comprehension for a human being, I guess we'd figure it out. If not, perhaps a super-intelligent sentient computer would do it for us >_>;

A race of invulnerable supermen is kind of implausible though. Long-lived, disease-immune but still quite fragile humans are much more in the scope of possibility. In that case however, we'd probably overpopulate, and there'd still be war and hunger and all of that business. Even a human who has had his telomeres modified still fears death, and that's incredibly important towards our current habits. A person like that would probably still want all of the same stuff we want today; they'd probably just follow a different, longer routine.

Human meaning is a funny question, though. The universe is this inconceivably large space filled with energy and matter bouncing off/going through/mutating with each other. I think it's kind of silly when people jive on about nature with a capitol N and The Wrath of Mother Earth and how we have this responsibility to it and etc. As mortals we have a responsibility towards maintaining what keeps us alive; which is indeed the earth. But as immortals? Think about it. As we are now, we are an incredibly small, imperfect and arguably cancerous stain covering an equally tiny and, as far as we know, insignificant little planet. Have you ever seen a quasar? What the hell is that? Certainly enough to make me feel like practically nothing. Either we're worthless, or little miracles, or maybe we just -are-. In fact that's probably it. Human meaning is probably simply "existence" or "creation" or something, and finding it out probably won't change anything. The last question for a truly immortal human is probably "What happens when something dies?" Which is something that, tragically, an immortal human would never be able to comprehend.

Well, nevermind. I'm not even going to start tackling that one. Maybe when I'm immortal.

...Or maybe we're all immortal ;O

As far as the main question goes, I guess I'd say "gift." I mean, a lot of people have horrible lives. From a utilitarian standpoint there'd probably be an improvement on the overall happiness scale. We'd also be able to free ourselves (I'm talking about invulnerable immortality) from our insignificant animal bindings and potentially be able to explore the universe, act on it, etc. We'd become "bigger" in a sense. It's a universe of possibility I guess.

If we're talking about "practical" immortality I'd also say gift, at least as far as the individual goes. For society it might become kinda problematic. But as long as you can kill people, there really isn't any problem...

Best answers
Wont speac long, thing has been disected enouch me thinks.

Invulnerable immortality - curse.
Because forever is alot longer time than some people give credit for.

It would be a blessing if you could be killed, by some item, ritual, or another being.

Best answers
Great, lets all be immortial, then we would eat up our Food resouces 3 times as fast, and we'll get even more overpopulated.......who woulden't want a world full of starving people....:/

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom