If you die in a dream, do you die for real?

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
You can't really die. whenever I die in a dream, my point of view goes from my eyes, to some corner somewhere near by, and I see myself falling to the ground.

I also heard dreams can kind of foresee the future, but that's a whole different topic :)

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I've died on two occassions within my dreams, man the pain felt so real, and right arfter 'dying' I'd wake up as if nothing happened.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I always wake up when I die in a dream. I've had friends though who get out of dream-body experiences, so to speak, when they die in their dreams. I really don't think it can possibly kill you though, ala the Matrix, unless you have a poor heart and an INCREDIBLE imagination.

There's a theory floating around that dreams are simplistic metaphorical fulfillments of the unfulfilled urges and feelings we have during the day.

Beta Tester Squad
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I never Dream but when i dream i allwase dai in it :D and hell i am still alive

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I think I am the only person here who has actually been clinicly dead. Broke my neck almost year years ago and was motionless and breathless for 5 minutes before I came too and started bleeding out my mouth.

Anyways, once I had a dream where I died. Got into a fight witha girl and my head went through a window in a house. When I pulled back, a long piece of hanging glass went into my skull. As I pulled it out, I started to bleed and then fell. I felt everything that was going on, the slowing heartbeat, less and less breath, the cold that was coming on. I died in my dream and then nothing was there. No more dream, no more feelings, no more thoughts. I awoke to find myself not breathing. So I guess, as soon as I stopped breathing in my dream, I stopped breathing in real life. Was a super weird feeling.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I can tell you with certainty that that's just Matrix stuff. In fact, I once had a dream that I was riding a bike in a subway and got ran over by the subway. All of it was first person till I got hit, then it was third person, and I saw people pulling my mangled body out from the tracks.

Well, apparently I'm still kicking ^_^

I find it interesting to see that people actually experience pain in their dreams. That's never hapenned to me. I've got 0% nerve endings in my body during dream mode.

But has anyone ever gotten annoyed during a dream that you can't open your eyes? In the dream I mean? So you can only see small blurry bits of your dream...then it turns out you're half-awake and were really trying to open your REAL eyes?

Best answers
I had a dream i was suffocating once, turns out my head was to far in my pillow and i woke up out of breath, because i really was suffocating.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Hmm...that sounds like an exact reverse of what this topic is about...interesting...

Freelance Mappzor
✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Ive had countless dreams about dying. Usualy i would fall from a big hight. Sadly every time just as im to go SPLAT on the ground. I wake up >.<

Hence where i got my small fear of hights ^^

I can handle hights but i have to focus real well.

In any case i dont think you can die from a dream. Allthough i do belive that dreams can have a big effect on your physical and mental state.

Best answers
J-Dude said:
Hmm...that sounds like an exact reverse of what this topic is about...interesting...

Fail to see your point on the matter, i almost died in the dream, because in reality i really was suffocating, so no i think it is on topic.

I think death in a dream could happen in life, but like others said, you would have to have a huge shock/unhealthy heart.

Best answers
To put simply all together. Dying in dream = Waking up
No need for long explanations...
Usually if i wake up, i want to sleep more...

Best answers
Arthos said:
I'd be more worried about dreaming about strange cities where the geometry is all wrong and getting inspired to make weird sculptures.
I actually do that :(
It's scary. Happens with caves and whatnot too and other random places.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
It's impossible to die in your dream. Our minds cannot comprehend death and beyond, though it can comprehend dying which is the pain that is felt before death. I wouldn't doubt that there are people who died in there sleep because they were dying in their dream, though they died from extreme shock and trauma caused by the dream.

The thing is that you don't know it's a dream, thus your brain interprets it as being real. That's why when people have a bad dream of dying they wake up screaming or in complete shock.
You mean it's impossible for people to experience in a dream what you believe happens to a person when they die ;)

★ Black Lounger ★
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
MC said:
It's impossible to die in your dream. Our minds cannot comprehend death and beyond, though it can comprehend dying which is the pain that is felt before death. I wouldn't doubt that there are people who died in there sleep because they were dying in their dream, though they died from extreme shock and trauma caused by the dream.

The thing is that you don't know it's a dream, thus your brain interprets it as being real. That's why when people have a bad dream of dying they wake up screaming or in complete shock.
I dont understand how you can state that... I've had dreams where i've died and even gone past it into a crazy surreal state, it slowly turns back into a normal dream but there's a definate feeling of death/dying but I've never woken up shocked. Not only that, many times in my dreams i've realised im dreaming, but i just forget it and the dream continues. Ever heard of Lucid dreaming? thats when you can actually control your dreams.

There's 2 main psychological theories for dreams anyway, 1 is that dreams can be understood as links to your subconcious, the other is just random synaptic (i think) firing between cells in the brain. There's a chance the first theory may agree its impossible (been so long scince psychology), but the second theory certainly doesn't.

I could also argue with the use of drugs (LSD specificaly) that death is perfectly within human comprehention, but thats a whole nother kettle of fish.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Mogwai said:
Fail to see your point on the matter, i almost died in the dream, because in reality i really was suffocating, so no i think it is on topic.

I think death in a dream could happen in life, but like others said, you would have to have a huge shock/unhealthy heart.
Not what I meant. No sarcasm there. I meant it was interesting that as opposed to your dream state having an effect on your body, your body had an effect on your dream state. I find it inruiging. For instance, my Dad once had an odd dream about airplanes, and when he woke up, he realized the plug-in fan in my parent's room had been producing the noise that he thought was from airplanes. Thus, physical happenings and conditions affected his dream. I just think it's very interesting.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
im pretty sure it could be possible, because i have sometimes dreams when im like at top of a mountain and then slip from it and fall to the ground, and then wake up and im on the floor :D

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Well dreams about dying are kinda common for me >_> The weirdest dreams are dreams in dreams, like you wake up but you're still in a dream. Sometimes i wake up several times, only to find myself still sleeping. Oh and usually when fall down and die in a dream i wake up feeling the impact, like someone pushed me in the chest.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
No, You do not die for real if you die in a dream, I mean come on people, it's a dream for goodness sake, not reallity.

Best answers
uncover bunker said:
that's only nature when u saw too much movie.....by the way dont attemp to watch anything ugly before u went bed......i knew that would be the badest idea....but u can try..
How would watching an "ugly" movie before I got to bed be a "badest" idea?

Tell ya what Bunker, i'll watch 4 "ugly" movies before I go to bed, and it aint gonna do ****... ya know why? Because "ugly movies" (whatever the **** them are) aren't gonna kill me.

ontopic: That is a good question, never really thought of that, but u have a point... Im gonna be thinking about that for a while now.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Davidskiwan said:
Ever heard of Lucid dreaming? thats when you can actually control your dreams.

There's 2 main psychological theories for dreams anyway, 1 is that dreams can be understood as links to your subconcious, the other is just random synaptic (i think) firing between cells in the brain. There's a chance the first theory may agree its impossible (been so long scince psychology), but the second theory certainly doesn't.
Thats what happend to me, twice or so.
It only happens in a really scary and intense dreams, thats when I'm forced to understand it's not real and if it comes to dying in the dream thats the point I realise it really is a dream and it feels like I'm in control but all I wanted to do in those moments is to wake up and so I did.

The amazing thing about this is that when you wake up after you can remember specific details from the dream, I usually forget the dreams after a day but those 2 dreams are still written in my head =P

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom