If you die in a dream, do you die for real?

Best answers
I always wonder about this whenever I have a dream about dyeing(about once a year), because whenever I dream about dying(get shot in the heart by a robber, be in the vincinity of a atomic bomb), I always wake up before I collapse to the ground....my dream always goes slow motion like some movie and I'm slowly falling down, but then I wake up. So if you don't wake up before you actually die, do you die for real?

P.S This is a discussion topic, I know that it isn't easy for scientists to actually experiment something like this.

Live free or die by the sword
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Death in a dream, speaking psychologically, usually means that you feel you are loosing closeness with the dead item. Dying in a dream yourself may mean that you feel that you no longer understand yourself. It may also signfy that your subconscious has detected change, and is adapting to the stresses involved with it.

I doubt a dream would kill a fully healthy human being.

Best answers
Barney's_Soul said:
I always wonder about this whenever I have a dream about dyeing(about once a year), because whenever I dream about dying(get shot in the heart by a robber, be in the vincinity of a atomic bomb), I always wake up before I collapse to the ground....my dream always goes slow motion like some movie and I'm slowly falling down, but then I wake up. So if you don't wake up before you actually die, do you die for real?

P.S This is a discussion topic, I know that it isn't easy for scientists to actually experiment something like this.
that's only nature when u saw too much movie.....by the way dont attemp to watch anything ugly before u went bed......i knew that would be the badest idea....but u can try..

✔️ HL Verified
Best answers
I feel that it is possible to die in real life from a dream, regardless of how healthy you are. I think that if you feel that the dream is real, (meaning that you think you're actually there and it's not a dream) the shock of you dieing can make your heart stop or give you a heart attack. Please, if there are any facts to disprove my theory show me because I too am interested in this...

Best answers
I think if people knew that if you died in a dream, you really died in real life.. who would have been the one to tell? They would have died, so I don't think its real, although I've never died in my dream before, I always wake up before I die.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Only if you are in Tel'aran'rhiod...

brainfeeder
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I typically have the "death leads to waking up" effect.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
I'd be more worried about dreaming about strange cities where the geometry is all wrong and getting inspired to make weird sculptures.

✔️ HL Verified
🚂 Steam Linked
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
-=[EEF]=-Ghost said:
I feel that it is possible to die in real life from a dream, regardless of how healthy you are. I think that if you feel that the dream is real, (meaning that you think you're actually there and it's not a dream) the shock of you dieing can make your heart stop or give you a heart attack. Please, if there are any facts to disprove my theory show me because I too am interested in this...
They have had studies about this
but it was inconclusive, the subjects died before they could report their findings.

Guess we'll never know fo`sure

Dreaming, according to websites on google, about death usually is a good thing
for more details google: dream death

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
uncover bunker said:
that's only nature when u saw too much movie.....by the way dont attemp to watch anything ugly before u went bed......i knew that would be the badest idea....but u can try..
LOL

Anyways, that's a good question to think about. I never had a dream where I've died and woke up alive. Ask that question to a psychologist or something. :scared:

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
frsrblch said:
Only if you are in Tel'aran'rhiod...
Luckily the only experience that normal people have there is fleeting ;o

In anycase I can tell you that dying in a dream does not lead to your own death. I've had several deaths in my dreams, both passive(dying of cancer) and active(being knifed). It scares the **** out of me every time, and has only occured during the most stressful moments of my life. In the cancer dream, I went through all those phases they say a person goes through when they find out they're terminally ill, denial, etc... After I did die in it, I got probably the closest feeling to non-existance I've ever had. I remember waking up in the morning just feeling empty inside, something I hope I never have to feel again :(

In any case, I'm alive. I'd be curious to see what physiological responses your body has while having vivid dreams to see if it's even conceivable for a person to die physically during a dream.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
First of all, you can't die even in a dream. You can get "injured", sure. I've had plenty of dreams where I've been messed up to the point that, if it were in real life, I'd probably be dead. But even if you got shot through the heart 3 times with a few sledgehammers to the face, YOU are still aware of what is going on. Death implies nothingness, which is impossible for us to comprehend.

So no, seeing as you cannot die in a dream, that renders the second part of the statement impossible.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
First of all, you can't die even in a dream. You can get "injured", sure. I've had plenty of dreams where I've been messed up to the point that, if it were in real life, I'd probably be dead. But even if you got shot through the heart 3 times with a few sledgehammers to the face, YOU are still aware of what is going on. Death implies nothingness, which is impossible for us to comprehend.

So no, seeing as you cannot die in a dream, that renders the second part of the statement impossible.
Well, it depends on what you think happens to you after you die. My girlfriend dreamt she died and was being judged on stage whether or not she would go to Heaven or Hell.

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
In the interests of not getting into a religious debate I'll concede that point to you, though it's my personal belief that when you die, that's it.

The Duke of Juke
Retired Forum Staff
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
Pain said:
In the interests of not getting into a religious debate I'll concede that point to you, though it's my personal belief that when you die, that's it.
I understand completely and didn't mean to incite anything ;o I'm just saying that if you don't believe in non-existance after death then you could techinically believe you've died in a dream.

Hell, I still swear that I've come close to the feeling of non-existance in the dream I mentioned. It was a sensation I can't bring words to, though you could argue that I was aware enough to percieve that, and to be non-existant one wouldn't have awareness.

Best answers
I have died in my dreams multiple times, whether it be eating,thrown from something,shot,beat to death,dropped into a pit, fallen off a building, run over, impaled etc.

I have actually gotten to the point where i control when i wake up, so things don't get so bad, literally i am in a dream status if i don't like the dream, i say wakeup in my dream and i wake up, and go back to sleep and try again.

Dieing from a dream i would say is possible if the strain caused to much on a person's heart, but no other way really.

✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
The only time I remember not wakig up when I was dying was in 2nd grade where I was shot and was in some kind of 'wondering spirit' state and everything was mute.

I don't think the average mind is strong enough to trick the person into dying.

MC

💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It's impossible to die in your dream. Our minds cannot comprehend death and beyond, though it can comprehend dying which is the pain that is felt before death. I wouldn't doubt that there are people who died in there sleep because they were dying in their dream, though they died from extreme shock and trauma caused by the dream.

The thing is that you don't know it's a dream, thus your brain interprets it as being real. That's why when people have a bad dream of dying they wake up screaming or in complete shock.

2D/3D Artist
★ Black Lounger ★
✔️ HL Verified
💻 Oldtimer
Best answers
It may also signfy that your subconscious has detected change
True.
I had a dream that I died (drowned) but I didnt wake up at that point I just got really stressed and stuff, after a while I noticed I'm not dying and I came to realise that I'm actually dreaming (yes, while I'm dreaming)
Once that happened all I did was trying to wake up but after that (since I was somewhat conscious while dreaming) I could remember the whole dream and every little detail.

But like others said, you cant possibly die from a dream.

Best answers
Honestly my mind can try to fool me all it wants to, but when clouds are people, crocodiles sing, and tom hanks is headless and walking about, it is a dream lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom